Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
anelaidlives
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 211
Posts: 1,095
Losing interest in this game quickly

I loved the original Red Orchestra mod and played RO1 to death back in the day, but RO2 is just a chore to play.

I can accept that its a part of gameplay that you're one-shotted by riflemen hiding in the woodwork, but a lot of the maps just seem to be awfully designed, either heavily favoring one side or another (Pavlov's house is awful) or just not being fun to play. Then there's having a machinegun right outside your spawn, or facing right at your spawn, so you can't do anything without getting cut down. I guess there is the chance for spawn artillery but I haven't seen it done so I'm sure that, at least, is a non-issue.

Also it bugs me to no end that every single command, from the cover system (which doesn't seem to be that useful, blind firing is a nice touch but has absolutely no value at all), to healing wounds, to refilling ammo, to other interactions. This really should have been divided up. Some of the default bindings are a bit odd as well, and for classes like the engineer, it can end up being a real pain to swap between equipment.

I actually don't know really why I don't find the game fun, there's just this complete grind about it in terms of the metagameplay and the game itself.

The tank system is also a step down from anything seen in RO1.

I'm willing to support tripwire as a developer, since games like killing floor are still fun, but Red Orchestra 2 just seems like something went very wrong in the design process.

Has anyone felt anything similar or is the beginning of RO2 just unfun like this until you get into its flow.

Last edited by anelaidlives: 03-06-2012 at 10:28 PM.
anelaidlives is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
bonapartist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 6
Posts: 83
The reason you don't like RO2 is because RO1 was a better game, and DH better yet than that. I too am unimpressed with RO2 and want my money back.
bonapartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
panzerlied
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 34
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonapartist View Post
The reason you don't like RO2 is because RO1 was a better game, and DH better yet than that. I too am unimpressed with RO2 and want my money back.
Well, sucks that you won't get your money back for a game you bought. I must have over 100+ games in my Steam Library, and 58 that are installed. Out of those 58 I maybe play 10 at a time. Some of the games in my library are trash, but that's the decision I made when I bought the game and expected no refund. I'll sometimes go back and play them, if only to remind myself of the better games I have.
panzerlied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Skopjanec
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 17
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelaidlives View Post
I loved the original Red Orchestra mod and played RO1 to death back in the day, but RO2 is just a chore to play.

I can accept that its a part of gameplay that you're one-shotted by riflemen hiding in the woodwork, but a lot of the maps just seem to be awfully designed, either heavily favoring one side or another (Pavlov's house is awful) or just not being fun to play. Then there's having a machinegun right outside your spawn, or facing right at your spawn, so you can't do anything without getting cut down. I guess there is the chance for spawn artillery but I haven't seen it done so I'm sure that, at least, is a non-issue.

Also it bugs me to no end that every single command, from the cover system (which doesn't seem to be that useful, blind firing is a nice touch but has absolutely no value at all), to healing wounds, to refilling ammo, to other interactions. This really should have been divided up. Some of the default bindings are a bit odd as well, and for classes like the engineer, it can end up being a real pain to swap between equipment.

I actually don't know really why I don't find the game fun, there's just this complete grind about it in terms of the metagameplay and the game itself.

The tank system is also a step down from anything seen in RO1.

I'm willing to support tripwire as a developer, since games like killing floor are still fun, but Red Orchestra 2 just seems like something went very wrong in the design process.

Has anyone felt anything similar or is the beginning of RO2 just unfun like this until you get into its flow.
trololololololol!
Skopjanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
stillmatic07
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 1606
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopjanec View Post
trololololololol!
It seems you fit the description a little better
stillmatic07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
daflipp
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 181
Posts: 861
This game is a long-term investment. Big updates+sales will attract new players and it will succeed like Killing Floor (hopefully ). Just listen to the recent Alan Wilson interview. KF sold much more units this year (200.000 @ beginning of this March) than in the year it got released.
daflipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
mowskwoz
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 35
Posts: 187
I'd really recommend checking out the "What we are up to" section of the TWI forums. Some of it might interest you.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...splay.php?f=72

There are some things I don't care for in RO2 for sure, but the actual gun game is pretty solid for me. Also, I get a lot more enjoyment from this game when I'm playing on a team with communication.

I pubbed the game for awhile and kinda felt the same way you do. After I really starting getting some contacts and friends that I can get a game going with, that lead to joining a scrim team and clan, which dramatically changed the dynamics of the game. I just don't think pubbing makes this game shine like it can. If you're already doing that and still don't care for the game, then maybe come back to it after awhile.

Feel free to add me (MowSkwoz) to friends if you're interested in trying out some team play. That goes for everyone. I will let you know, a mic is very helpful.
mowskwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
anelaidlives
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 211
Posts: 1,095
Mics help a lot with this game for sure, I will say that the community for this game, barring some overly defensive members, are extremely helpful and involved.
anelaidlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Agent-1138
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 39
Posts: 456
I think the average age of an RO2 player tends to be older than your average cod/bf3 gamer.... thats why people tend to be nice and contribute.
Agent-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
MrFreeman
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Reputation: 76
Posts: 458
The game needs time and I think Tripwire has realised they departed too much from what made the original succesful. I also think the maps are an issue, most of them not being overly fun.

They are however an extremely loyal developer who supports their games for free! They are one of the few companies left who patch there game instead of releasing DLC to make it better.
MrFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Mikeedude
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 46
Posts: 442
I think waiting to see what the new patch and classic mode brings is the best bet.
The game itself is good it is just missing that something that made the original great.
Plenty of time to get it upto scratch though.
Mikeedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
weequayx
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 2
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelaidlives View Post
but a lot of the maps just seem to be awfully designed, either heavily favoring one side or another (Pavlov's house is awful) or just not being fun to play.
The developers were looking for historical accuracy above all else.
Notice how limited the weapons are, we only get weapons that were in the actual battle of Stalingrad (atleast most of them).

Pavlov's house and the Grain elevator are some of the most infamous stalemates in WWII, the russians backed into a corner and to put it into gamer terms, "camped".

Of course some of the maps are one sided. The battle of Stalingrad wasn't a balanced engagement in any respect.
weequayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Worstluck
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Reputation: 116
Posts: 571
I have been trying to get into this game since I bought a while back, but I just can't. It's a bit frustrating now as there is only one server with a decent amount of people on it during my play time. Since there is only one server at time (for me), most of those people seem way above my skill level or just know the maps so much better. I don't have an alternative except to play with bots. I also still have some performance issues where I shouldn't.

The game itself is fun for the most part. I do like RO1 a lot more however. I will keep playing when I can and following the game, I do love WW2 shooters, just wish more people played during my play time!
Worstluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Destructor-2011
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 16
Posts: 629
OMG when the trolls will stop?

Answer: Never.

BTW I have more fun playing this game than Crysis 2(My second favorite)

How is this possible? Playing the campaign, training and playing and playing MP.

And the most important things: Learning the game and how to play it. Before I bought it, I knew this game was going to be realistic and the better way to get fun in a realistic game is learning and knowing how to play it.

Last edited by Destructor-2011: 03-07-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Destructor-2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
KnownUnknown
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 204
Posts: 510
Right on the money, OP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by weequayx View Post
The developers were looking for historical accuracy above all else.
Notice how limited the weapons are, we only get weapons that were in the actual battle of Stalingrad (atleast most of them).

Pavlov's house and the Grain elevator are some of the most infamous stalemates in WWII, the russians backed into a corner and to put it into gamer terms, "camped".

Of course some of the maps are one sided. The battle of Stalingrad wasn't a balanced engagement in any respect.
Historical accuracy is no excuse for poor map balance. TWI should have had this in mind when designing some of the RO2 maps. Fun should almost always override "historical accuracy" anyway; as it is now, some of the maps are a chore to play.
KnownUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.