Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II

Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Fakhir

Interesting countries to play + playing pagan/muslim

Alright, I want peoples opinions on what is your favorite country to play. Also with some explanations to why. Wishing to expand my list of countries with which to play.

From the normal countries Castille is propably my favorite. It's semi-easy to get the whole of spain with in the first 2 weeks yo yourself with assasination. Since you are the heir to your 2 king brothers. There isnt even a lack of casus-belli since the whole half of spain is Sunni. Holy war all the way. Will just have to stop now and then to convert the populace.
Very hard to keep together though. There is ALOT of provinces in spain.

From the non-playbles my favorite has to be Karelia in Finland.
With 3 de-jure claims to start with you can expand to be Finlands prominent factor with in the year. With a little luck-based matter of forging claims on other parts of Finland you can eventually form your own Pagan-Kingdom. I managed to do this a good time before my first character died. The lands are a little poor when you start but in time you can build a strong economy even in the unforgiving north. I control the whole of the de-jure kingdom of Finland atm and västerbötten+lappland from Sweden.
The only downside to playing Finland is that pagans dont get any holy-war casusbellis against others. But everyone else gets it on you. So be prepared to war every now and then.

How to play pagan/muslim?
Console command "play [dynasty #]" For example to play as Karelia type "play 28004" into the console. This will switch you into Karelia. After that to get trough the "cant play as pagan" in the start screen when loading a saved game type "religion catholic" and right after that "religion finnish_pagan". This since you can play as a pagan/muslim after you convert to them.
To get the dynasty number go to the CK2 folder - history - characters - open the culture text that your desired heretic is in. Check the number and go playing.

Hope that monster of a text helped anyone. Also post your countries here too!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
Finland2011

Nice to hear that you like Finland.

I live in Finland, so i was a bit disappointed when i noticed that i can't play with Finland in the beginning.

Last edited by Finland2011: 03-07-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Finland2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Fakhir

Yep, I live in Finland too. But it's not as fruitful to play a pagan since the game is designed to play pagans. Islam will propably be added in a later DLC with their caliphates but I dont think they will ever add pagans to play with.

Nonetheless. With console commands you can play them all from the start too. My score with Finland now is 16k at the year 1300. Still got some expansion with me so I'm hoping to hit 25k points. It's a good score for a backwater poor and pagan country :P. Might put a picture of the kingdom somewhere when I finish the game.
Fakhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
3pieceSuit

Castille/Leon are some of my favourites as well, for the same reasons you listed (reconquista).

I also like Apulia for similiar reasons, but I'm playing the von Habsburgs right now, which is fun. Starting from a lowly count in the HRE, I'm about to inherit my second duchy, this one purely from smart marriages.

I'm also a big fan of any of the dukes/counts in Ireland.

Although I have not tried one yet, I am planning on running a playthrough a count or duke of Wales as well.
3pieceSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Vagrant Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pieceSuit View Post
Castille/Leon are some of my favourites as well, for the same reasons you listed (reconquista).

I also like Apulia for similiar reasons, but I'm playing the von Habsburgs right now, which is fun. Starting from a lowly count in the HRE, I'm about to inherit my second duchy, this one purely from smart marriages.

I'm also a big fan of any of the dukes/counts in Ireland.

Although I have not tried one yet, I am planning on running a playthrough a count or duke of Wales as well.
I am playing Wales right now and it is a pretty good start I think. You start with a claim on the Kingdom of Wales, so you can turn King as soon as you have the money and piety to do so. Your starting county can have five holdings. Took a couple generations to afford it but once I had three castles spitting out personal troops I was pretty much unstoppable. Hopefully this evening I will get control of England...then it will be time to deal with those troublesome Scots or I might go after Norway just because they keep appearing in my area so they must have some claims over England and Scotland.

The only other game I have played was the Duke of Munster in Ireland...that was decent start too I think. It just takes a long time to get going since you start with practically nothing(Though it was my first game...I think I might be able to do it quicker now). You can't even field enough troops to siege a castle for a while after start...a year or so.

I haven't tried any others or any of the non playable areas...though Finland did catch my eye in the beginning. I was sort of bummed when I clicked on it and say the words "Cannot play Pagan"

Last edited by Vagrant Storm: 03-08-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Vagrant Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Fakhir

I found Ireland sort of boring. Too isolated. I suppose unifying the British Isles is a good goal but.. meh.

Got my Finland save alot further today again. And I can really recommend it to anyone now. Especially if you like challenges.
Built my economy so that I get around 40 gold per month and can muster 40-50k men. It's 1400 soon so around 70 years till the game ends. Score at 26k so I won my earlier goal ^^. The last bastion of "Suomenusko" paganism holding the duchies Norrland, Finland, Karelia, Estonia, Bjarmia and parts of Belozeroo and Novgorod. Total holding size is 68 atm. And I really am getting infuriated attacking even the smaller catholic nations now. Since they can recruit holy-order mercenaries with under 200 piety with no maintenence. Impossible to fight 3000k heavy cavalry. You can beat them even with 15 000 to 8 000. Still worth the try with Finland yall.
Fakhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:54 AM   #7
FFabian

Try newly formed Jerusalem in 1099. Hard but lots of fun. The main challenge at the start is not to get wiped out by all those muslim countries surrounding you (use the Holy Orders - first the Hospitalers - later in game the Templars) When you've consolidated youre position there is plenty of scheming to do. So far I had fun initiating civil wars in the larger muslim countries by assassinations and gobbling up the emerging small independent realms while they fought for independence

Georgia is quite a challenge too (I started in 1099). Same problem as Jerusalem but no Holy orders for help. Managed to survive for 30 years now with the help of mercenaries (ransoming captured enemy characters for money to keep the mercenaries fed). After I conquered Alania I now try to support the remnants of Edessa and Jerusalem. They're the punching bags for Syria, the Turks and the Sunni/Shia Caliphates - better to fight for their survival/land than mine ;-)

Last edited by FFabian: 03-09-2012 at 02:59 AM.
FFabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
RanchoRelaxo

I found Poland a great country to learn on, lots of options available. First off you are 20ish, the king, unmarried and called "the Bold", things are looking up. Your brother the Duke is sickly and you are his heir. You have pagans to the north and 2 territory claims available at the start. Also have another Duke who is fairly disloyal and prone to an ill-advised revolt. Nothing like using a nice Court Jester title taunt to stir the pot.

New to the series and have replayed as Poland countless of times re-starting and trying different strategies as I learn. Just found them to be a great "sand-box" country to try stuff out.
RanchoRelaxo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II