Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham Asylum

Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
blahling

FPS loss near plants

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2
CPU: Intel i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 12GB

I'm running it off an ASUS Xtreme Design motherboard if that has any importance and I've got Windows 7 64-bit. I've updated my graphics driver about a month ago but I'll double check to see if I've got the latest one installed [I doubt they have a new one].

According to the benchmark the game offers, I have an average FPS of 49 when I run the game on max settings, but even if I drop everything to the lowest settings, I have some extreme frames per seconds loss whenever I'm in the Botanical Gardens, or just a drop in FPS when I'm close to bushes and such. I am honestly at a loss at whats causing this because I'm experiencing the same thing in another game as well, but only these two games.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? [Is it my CPU?]
Old 03-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
DeadPhoenix86

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahling View Post
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2
CPU: Intel i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 12GB

I'm running it off an ASUS Xtreme Design motherboard if that has any importance and I've got Windows 7 64-bit. I've updated my graphics driver about a month ago but I'll double check to see if I've got the latest one installed [I doubt they have a new one].

According to the benchmark the game offers, I have an average FPS of 49 when I run the game on max settings, but even if I drop everything to the lowest settings, I have some extreme frames per seconds loss whenever I'm in the Botanical Gardens, or just a drop in FPS when I'm close to bushes and such. I am honestly at a loss at whats causing this because I'm experiencing the same thing in another game as well, but only these two games.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? [Is it my CPU?]
is PhysX off?
DeadPhoenix86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
blahling

I don't know, how do I check and/or toggle the PhysX?

EDIT: Oh ok, I see the option of PhysX, I never noticed it before because before that is says Hardware Accelerated. Anyhow, when I try enabling it, I get a this message, "Your hardware does not support NVIDIA(TM) Hardware Accelerated PhysX(TM). Performance will be severely reduced without dedicated hardware."

So yea, does this mean I'm screwed because from what I remember reading, this game greatly relies on PhysX. Oh and to answer your question, I never had this option on before due to the above stated message.

Last edited by blahling: 03-07-2012 at 12:33 PM.
blahling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
xBeastiex

physx does not work with ATI cards
i used to have a 4870x2 card the game ran fine without the physx

this video shows with and without physx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GyKCM-Bpuw

one thing you might try is turning off the motion blur see if that helps
xBeastiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Versteken

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahling View Post
this game greatly relies on PhysX.
No it doesn't. Physx adds some graphics bells and whistles, yes, but it's completely optional.

Physx is NOT your problem. As others have noted, it's not supported on ATI/AMD cards (yell at NVIDIA about that if you'd like, but I doubt they'll care). If you had it on, you'd know, because the performance would be atrocious.

The Botanical Garden's is kind of a complex area (scene wise), and the 4850 (even 2 of them) isn't all that powerful. So personally, I would not at all be surprised if performance dropped in spots.

Lowering settings ~should~ alleviate the performance drops, to an extent. Try focusing on reducing Anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion and dynamic shadows.
Versteken is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham Asylum