Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stacking

Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
feda2

how do we change the field of view???

There is no FoV slider in the menu and the cfg file has no relevant settings, so how do I change it? Since there are command line params for anti-aliasing, there must be something for FoV too.

The default FoV is incorrect for desktop PCs and makes my head hurt. I'm playing in 1280x1024 resolution (my monitor's native) and it's horrible, it seems to be even narrower than 60. Switching to 1280x720 is a little better, though still wrong, and it creates these huge black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, so that's a no go.

Rather disappointed with my purchase right now, I was looking forward to this game.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
Hey, feda2. I just sent this to our Stacking support team and will get back to you with more specifics in a bit.

In short, though, the FOV is intentionally locked by the game. It's part of puzzles and such things. We basically pick a vertical FOV and then we stretch the horizontal to match the aspect ratio of your display. It's possible that there's a bug with 1280x1024, though, so we'll look into that.

The black bars in 1280x720 are, unfortunately, almost certainly to do w/ an intersection between your monitor and your video card driver. There might be a setting in one or the other that you can tweak to fix it. If you do, it'll look exactly like the original version which was mastered for 16:9 @ 720p.
DFNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
n3dst4

I second feda2's comments.

DFNathan, the problem is that the field of view is very narrow, which works fine on a TV when you're sitting several feet away on the couch. On a PC, the monitor is at most a couple of feet away and playing a game with a narrow FoV is like looking at the world through a toilet roll tube. I just had to close Stacking because I was starting to feel really badly nauseous.

Thanks for being here on these forums though, and from the 20 minutes or so that I played, Stacking looks like a lot of fun.
n3dst4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Stexred

i had no problem with the fov while playing at 1920*1080 resolution
Stexred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
feda2 and n3dst4, that's all good feedback. Lee and I have been busy w/ GDC today, but I'll discuss making the FOV tweakable and see what he thinks. Should be very straightforward on the tech side, of course.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
robotosis

Adding an FOV option would be delightful.
robotosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Ardbug

I too would very much appreciate a FOV slider, the game is drop dead gorgeous, but I can only handle short game sessions.
Ardbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Darakin

Well @6048 x 1200 the FoV is fine however none of the HUD elements are visable..
http://steamcommunity.com/id/darakin...903?tab=public

Also the menu screens are fairly difficult to navigate due to being unable to see any options...
http://steamcommunity.com/id/darakin...71/?tab=public
Darakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
TheUnreal

+1 for fov which I ranted about here, I'm restricted to 10-15 minutes of playtime at the moment before nausea and/or headache start to kick in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darakin View Post
Well @6048 x 1200 the FoV is fine
Yeah it's fine for you because your peripheral vision can't tell the difference since you're surrounded by monitors.

For everyone who doesn't understand FOV. Watch this.

Last edited by TheUnreal: 03-08-2012 at 01:27 PM.
TheUnreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Darakin

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I have to play at 1920x1200 due to the above issues and the FoV is too narrow.

And I have suffered the pain of narrow FoV especially in games like borderlands (which was never fixed) and although widescreen resolutions do help this is not that well supported either.
Darakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
Again, thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to try to make sure this gets in for the next patch. Should fine as long as there is now crazy complex FOV management code that I'm forgetting.

Note also that if we put this in, cutscene FOV will not change.

PS - I totally didn't think that a custom FOV would be a request. No one requested it in Pnauts (probably because it has a very PC like FOV anyway) or in CQ (because it's basically an iso game) but in hindsight it's clear why you're requesting it here. It's also funny because in FPS derived engines like Source or Unreal, customizable FOV is "config 101" but it's not really a given in console based engines like ours. I suppose I learn something new every day
Old 03-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
Phreeflo

It's cool that the game is indeed using Hor+ resolution scaling though. I'd love to see the HUD working in multimonitor resolutions, but I guess we could always see if the guys over at widescreengamingforum.com come up with something in cheat-engine to fix that up
Phreeflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
Ardbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFNathan View Post
PS - I totally didn't think that a custom FOV would be a request.
There are a few mechanics that can detract from a good PC experience.

One is FOV, 90 to 95 degrees is perfect and should be default on PC releases.

X Y axis movement should be 1:1, not 1:2 like in many console games, where you can move the X axis twice as fast as the Y axis, wich is good for a gamepad, but absolutely horrible for mouse and keyboard.

Customizeable keys, we have a million keys at our fngertips, and people use many different setups for many different reason, some have no extra buttons on the mouse, so they need the extra keys mapped to the keyboard, others are left handed and often prefer a very different key layout.

As many resolutions as possible in all shapes and sizes, the more the merrier. Some play on 19" screens, others play on 3 monitors side by side.

If you MUST cap the FPS, then do it at 60, most PC gamers are used to 90+ frames per second, some are used to 200+ frames per second, and the difference between 30 and 60 FPS is enormous, gigantic, 30 FPS is great for consoles because a console is limited to a certain hardware, so by limiting the FPS and FOV you can squeeze out more graphics detail and polygons while still keeping the visuals fluid.
The PC does not have that problem, it is already a lot more powerfull than the stock consoles, some are light years above and beyond console specs, so PC gaming does not need the same "tricks" in order to make the visuals fluid even with a lot of detail and polygons onscreen.

And if you really want make your PC users happy, then design a different UI for the PC release, this is mostly relevant to inventory screens and screens where you compare a lot of stats or progress through research trees or quest overview screens, we can click anywhere on the screen as fast as lightning, so by making a UI that is tailored to the alacrity of the mouse and keyboard for the PC release, you can safely make a UI that is tailored specifically to the gamepad on consoles without the need to worry about how it will detract from the PC experience, you could even release the PC version with both UIs, and have it change depending on wich input device you use, the console UI is already made so not including it in the PC release would be silly

Hope you can use it

Last edited by Ardbug: 03-09-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Ardbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #14
TheUnreal

Some solid advice from Ardbug there :>
TheUnreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
AaronB

+1 for decent or adjustable FOV. This has become a make or break when deciding to purchase games on the PC.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stacking