Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Realm of the Mad God

Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Shinbusho

Are drop rates amplified if you deal the killing blow?

Few minutes ago, I dealt the killing blow to Oryx and got 4 items from him. That never happened before, the most before got me 2 at most. Was it just lucky or does it matter who gets the kill?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
ton de mo nai

I'm curious, what were the items?

I've gotten 4 items before, off of Stheno. I don't remember if I got the killing blow, but I definitely did the bulk of the work.
ton de mo nai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Shinbusho

Diabolic, Hippo, Attack Pot, Speed Pot.

I got another 4 earlier from the stone guardian as well. Those items were Diabolic, Master Robe, That low tier red robe, and a def.
Shinbusho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Docman

Nope. So long as you deal the minimum required damage to qualify for drops, your chances of all loot is the same if you did the least, most, or final damage.

You just got lucky. I've gotten zero from nearly soloing Oryx before.
Docman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
MotionTracker

Oryx is just a waste of time, since I never get anything from him. Sometimes I almost die too.
MotionTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Shinbusho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionTracker View Post
Oryx is just a waste of time, since I never get anything from him. Sometimes I almost die too.
Just wait until you get something. I usually don't get anything or I get a def pot here and there. Then this run, I made 10+ def if sell everything.

As for the "dying". Just avoid the big "shotgun" bullets, the small ones do nothing if your def are increased from pots. If you're not very confident; don't stay on the inside while the anti-spectors are spinning with Oryx throwing bombs.
Shinbusho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Lokarin

Oryx is totally worth it since I almost always get a Def pot at least from him.

The trick is to know his phases.

Note: All terminology used here is personal and anecdotal - will not match up with other players.

1. Melee Phase: Noticeable from the massive nova of summons he fires.

In this phase the melee classes shine since they can afford to be up close. Anyone caught outside the ring can't even damage Oryx (well, maybe Priest/Sorc can. The melees just need to dodge a rotating stream of 150 damage shots which isn't that hard.

2. Archer Phase: Noticeable from the Ice looking elemental things

As far as I can tell only archers can fire through the four elements acting as a shield. Do counter-clock wise circles and the outer elements shouldn't hit you

3. Mage Phase: You can tell because he fires big paired globs of death.

Slow classes just can't get close enough, but longer range characters can fire with impunity

Side: Summons minions occasionally, despite shouting he doesn't need minions (He's a hypocrite)... focus on them when you aren't in a phase you can act in.

Of course, all classes can attack in all phases... it's just my opinion that each phase caters to a certain weapon type.
Lokarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
NeoAlpha

To rephrase and add onto the above:

1. Minion phase: Oryx summons lots of red minions, slow is everywhere. Avoiding being surrounded and trapped by minions and you should be alright.

2. Bomb phase: This is personally my favorite phase. It's also the worst one in terms of reward to risk ratio . Lag is deadly here, and only sword/dagger/doom bow classes can really do much damage. Everyone outside the ring doesn't get quiet/weaken/bombed, but there are a few minions that get thrown outside.

3. Artifact phase: Bows and cwand can pierce through the artifacts, giving them a large advantage here. The large bullets hurt, but are pretty easy to dodge. Not very painful to do, and it won't hurt you much if you skip it.

4. KoS phase: This is pretty much ranged only. Much easier with a spread out group, since he'll shoot at your direction less often.

5. Another round of minions, this time Oryx also shoots some armor pierce bullets. 90 damage each, they're the main things to avoid, along with slow.

6. Dancing phase: This is the best phase for most people, oryx does the same circle as the bomb phase, but he spams a bunch of bullets instead of bombs. However, the bullet pattern is always the same, so follow the safe path and you'll barely be scratched. Oryx is also vulnerable quite often in this phase.
NeoAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Realm of the Mad God