Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
Carmanen

Rage messed up with latest AMD drivers!

I just installed new AMD 12.3 drivers that were released yesterday but looks like Rage is messed up badly. When launching, i get a very small green cube at the left bottom corner of the screen and otherwise black screen but audio plays fine. Are anybody else experiencing this and is there a fix to this?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
fishcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmanen View Post
I just installed new AMD 12.3 drivers that were released yesterday but looks like Rage is messed up badly. When launching, i get a very small green cube at the left bottom corner of the screen and otherwise black screen but audio plays fine. Are anybody else experiencing this and is there a fix to this?
So....was the game playable prior to installing these drivers? If so rollback to the drivers that work best. I'm using the 12.3's and have no issues during launch or game play. I don't no what significance if any that the green cube indicates, however, some black screen freezes have been resolved by disabling Triple Buffering in the CCC. Also, posting your rigs specs. might be helpful.
fishcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Bad_Motha

Banned
Anytime you install new/updated display driver, CCC goes back to defaults.
So double-check those settings. Also look for new settings that may not have been available in a prior version.

Ensure that VSync & Triple Buffering is off, and that Catalyst A.I. is either Disabled or set to Performance. Some games don't like when Catalyst A.I. enabled.

If you still have issues after this, fully uninstall AMD Catalyst, reboot when asked, then re-install.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Jimmy Shelter

I've no idea what people are doing to their systems, but I'm another on the "works for me" list. Should note that I've no overclocking and I don't try to force settings in the CCC.
Jimmy Shelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
anonymous321

I have a fresh install of the amd 12.2 (registers at 12.3 in CCC) drivers (used driver sweeper), and I have the same weird issue with the green cube in the lower lefthand corner. What gives?
anonymous321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Grimlar

Dont know if it will help you or not, but the latest 12.2 drivers do not seem to work with the 11.8 atioglxx.dll placed in the rage directory.

If you were using that workaround to avoid the 1fps issue then I'd have to suggest rolling the driver back to 12.1 until someone finds another workaround or there is a proper fix.
Grimlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
TheDancingFetus

Check to see if you have a file called atioglxx.dll in your rage install directory. I had the same issue with the newest drivers, and it was because of that. Now I just experience a stuttering frame rate...
TheDancingFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
anonymous321

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDancingFetus View Post
Check to see if you have a file called atioglxx.dll in your rage install directory. I had the same issue with the newest drivers, and it was because of that. Now I just experience a stuttering frame rate...
Removing atioglxx.dll, completely fixed the problem! I wasn't even aware I was still using the work around, but I must have inadvertently copied it over when I installed the game off my other hard drive! Thank you so much!
anonymous321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
BasketCaseOIC

The official 12.2 drivers are working great for me on my 5850. The 12.2 preview driver (from late Jan)were a stuttering disaster.
BasketCaseOIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
SayVarRee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmanen View Post
After recently updating to 12.6 I got this...again (I had it from 12.1-12.5. However I found that the greenbox black screen problem does not occur if you execute Rage outside of Steam. If you open Rage from within Steam the greenbox error occurs. Obviously Steam is messing with Rage at launch and most likely has something to do with the Steam overlay and Open-gl conflicting.

While I can still play Rage with this method its annoying because achievements don't unlock and save-files have been problematic when synching with the cloud.
SayVarRee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE