Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
culleydog34

Question has anyone ever installed railworks on a flash drive

my mechanical drive died, and I was curious if anyone has ever ran railworks from a flashdrive that I would never remove, if it would be playable, in theory the flash drive is more or less an external hardrive, is this possible?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
michbret

Hi Culley
What do you mean by flash drive ? A SSD ?
I don't understand also "in theory the flash drive is more or less an external hardrive"

If it is a SSD (Solid State Drive) which is a kind of "Flash Drive", it works very well as a replacement of an internal hard drive (especially a broken one). You will also have some speed improvement with Railworks on it (mostly faster loading time) a a little bit less stuttering.

However, the GB is much more expensive.

Regards
michbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
arizonachris

A Flash Drive is one of those USB drives, also called a Pen Drive.

Gonna have to be a pretty big size drive. I clocked my RW install at 15Gb. I think they make them up to 64Gb these days? Not cheap, tho. Can you still access RW on the old drive, or is it completely toast?

How are you gonna run Windows? If you have to get a new hard drive, then might as well install windows and RW on the same drive.

I think the answer is yes, you should be able to run RW from a flash drive.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
rgarber

Wouldn't you have to put the Steam client on the flash drive too? - Rich
rgarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Nana-chan

You'd need a special high-speed one with USB 3.0. I have a bog-standard 32gb one for my work and it's just slow!
Nana-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
culleydog34

Cool reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana-chan View Post
You'd need a special high-speed one with USB 3.0. I have a bog-standard 32gb one for my work and it's just slow!
ya I think you answered my question, I was talking about a usb 3.0 flash drive, sorry for not being more clear. I had seen that you can get a usb 3.0 32 gig flash drive for 30-40 usd, and looking at read speeds I assumed that railworks could run off of this.i currently have 1 60 gig ssd for my boot drive, but as mentioned earlier my mechanical drive failed, but I quess I could just get another 60 gig ssd and use raid 0 and just back railworks and files up on a Blu-ray disc,its almost cheaper to back files up on a 25 gig Blu-ray then to replace a mechanical drive, as I am trying to move away from them all together, thanks for all the replys.
culleydog34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
arizonachris

Good luck with that RAID 0. I just lost mine a few weeks ago. Connector on one of the drives broke off when I was replacing the PSU. Lost everything. Two weeks now and still finding bookmarks and reinstalling stuff. At least have one mechanical drive, say 500Gb, for an external backup drive. Keep it shut off unless you are doing a backup.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
culleydog34

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonachris View Post
Good luck with that RAID 0. I just lost mine a few weeks ago. Connector on one of the drives broke off when I was replacing the PSU. Lost everything. Two weeks now and still finding bookmarks and reinstalling stuff. At least have one mechanical drive, say 500Gb, for an external backup drive. Keep it shut off unless you are doing a backup.
thanks for the advice, but sad thing is I don't have enough data to back up over 25 gig at most, so that's why I use a bd-rw for back up and keep some files on a thumb drive or dvd's
culleydog34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks