Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
40KEndgame

Lightbulb A fix for AppCrash c0000005 and ID 1000 c0000005 (access violation) crashes

If you're getting c0000005 (Access Violation) crashes, there are a few things you can do to fix this.

Keep in mind that Team Fortress 2 will not call this error. It appears as a "hl2.exe has stopped working" crash.

First off, open the event viewer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_Viewer). The error you're wanting to check is labeled Error with the source Application Error. Check the line labeled Exception code under the general tab. If the value for that parameter is 0xc0000005, then this fix will help.

Go to %STEAMAPPS%\(username)\Team Fortress 2 and right click on hl2.exe. Select properties, and under the compatibility tab check the box for Run as Administrator. Test the game online (offline will not work).

If it is still crashing, set hl2.exe to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3. If you are running Windows 7 you will need to install Microsoft Virtual PC to be able to set the game's compatibility mode - compatibility mode for Windows XP or earlier was disabled in Windows 7.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
DekuJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40KEndgame View Post
If it is still crashing, set hl2.exe to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3. If you are running Windows 7 you will need to install Microsoft Virtual PC to be able to set the game's compatibility mode - compatibility mode for Windows XP or earlier was disabled in Windows 7.
Uh.. No?
DekuJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
DJohns

Banned
Going to try this in desperation.

But won't compatibility mode decrease my performance? It's already bad enough as it is right now.
DJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Splatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuJuice View Post
Depends on version. Home edition does not have full XP compatibility.

Guessing you have professional or above.
Splatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
DeeJayBoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatty View Post

I have Win7 Home and you're still wrong. There's WinXP SP3 compatibility, along with many others.

I'll give it a shot, but pretty sure this won't work. I'm still leaning towards a HUGE NVidia driver problem that will never get fixed for 'older' card models.
DeeJayBoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
chappa'ai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJohns View Post

But won't compatibility mode decrease my performance? It's already bad enough as it is right now.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayBoS View Post
I have Win7 Home and you're still wrong. There's WinXP SP3 compatibility, along with many others.

I'll give it a shot, but pretty sure this won't work. I'm still leaning towards a HUGE NVidia driver problem that will never get fixed for 'older' card models.
Home edition doesn't have Windows XP mode, which is a windows xp virtual machine. Which wouldn't even START the game.

All versions of 7 have a compatibility mode for xp, down to windows 95
chappa'ai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
40KEndgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayBoS View Post

This solution only works for code c0000005 Access Violations, not the buffer overload or any other "hl2.exe has stopped working" crashes. I doubt the c0000005 crash has anything to do with graphics card drivers. Also, see the reply to chappa'ai's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappa'ai View Post
Home edition doesn't have Windows XP mode, which is a windows xp virtual machine. Which wouldn't even START the game.

All versions of 7 have a compatibility mode for xp, down to windows 95
Odd, my computer only let me chose Vista for compatibility mode until I installed Windows Virtual PC. I have Home Premium, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJohns View Post

You'll likely have to lower your settings. Also, don't try compatibility mode until you try running the game as an administrator and it still crashes.
40KEndgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
DekuJuice

Quote:

Actually, home premium, but I don't know about that kind of stuff.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Alizona

Been having this issue on Vista. Tried the suggested solution (although I didn't see XP SP3 compatibility, only XP SP2), but TF2 is still crashing with the 0xc0000005 exception code.

I played TF2 for years but apparently I'm done. It used to happen infrequently, but nowadays I can't go more than a few minutes without TF2 hanging, freezing, and then crashing back to desktop. Kinda sad... but I guess life goes on.

I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX275 card with the latest 295.73 drivers.

No solution I've ever researched and found has worked. And I reformat and reinstall my OS every 6 months to a year to clean out all the junk and bugs. That doesn't make any difference either.

Oh... I also tried the suggestion to delete the Steam/SteamApps/(username)/team fortress 2 directory and let it rebuild it... still crashed.

Last edited by Alizona: 03-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Alizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Trilby Hat

If you have an Nvidia card, try setting the Physx to GPU in the Nvidia control panel instead of set to auto. It's solved a few gaming related issues for me at least.
Trilby Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
DekuJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizona View Post
Been having this issue on Vista. Tried the suggested solution (although I didn't see XP SP3 compatibility, only XP SP2), but TF2 is still crashing with the 0xc0000005 exception code.

I played TF2 for years but apparently I'm done. It used to happen infrequently, but nowadays I can't go more than a few minutes without TF2 hanging, freezing, and then crashing back to desktop. Kinda sad... but I guess life goes on.

I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX275 card with the latest 295.73 drivers.

No solution I've ever researched and found has worked. And I reformat and reinstall my OS every 6 months to a year to clean out all the junk and bugs. That doesn't make any difference either.

Oh... I also tried the suggestion to delete the Steam/SteamApps/(username)/team fortress 2 directory and let it rebuild it... still crashed.
Vista and Nvidia

Not a winning combination.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Alizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby Hat View Post
If you have an Nvidia card, try setting the Physx to GPU in the Nvidia control panel instead of set to auto. It's solved a few gaming related issues for me at least.
Thanks, but just tried it and... hang, freeze, crash.
Alizona is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2