Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 03-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
toshimoog

Steam Game Sell-back

Sorry if this has been brought up before. I searched the forum yesterday and didn't see anything about it, so I thought I'd try.

Is there any consideration to implement a feature that allows Steam users to sell back games that they don't want any more (perhaps for "Steam credits" or something, giving back less than what the game costs to buy originally)? I thought this would be a nice feature to implement, so if players finish any games they own, they can "sell" them back in exchange for credit that they can spend on other games. Or, have you already considered this and agreed against it?

Thank you!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
teH_angRy_nIgHt

I don't see how that works in the digital distribution scheme, economically, for Steam.

In a similar issue, they are already talking about enacting "activation" fees for resold, used, hard copy games because game stores are making money off the same copies of the game, with the developers/publishers left completely out. I'd have to agree with them. So it also opens a can of worms between Steam and publishers and developers.
teH_angRy_nIgHt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Myself =P

Could work, Steam Wallet would serve for that, and they could send you email like steam guard to confirm, to avoid hackers and a number of security features
Myself =P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Pridit

But what's the benefit for Valve by implementing something like this? It's a win-lose situation.

Last edited by Pridit: 03-09-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Pridit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Traci

I do not like your idea - Sorry.
Traci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
kjath

this thread comes up every time someone buys a game they don't like.
kjath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Terrum

This is why demos exist.
Terrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
DarkVenom

would be nice to have something like this
DarkVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
GeneralMuffin

How about more available demos?
GeneralMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Derp-Master

You can't sell back a download >.>
Derp-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
BattleAxe_604

I did a thread a while back about a "trade-in program". I think they should have some sort of incentive program like this. There are alot of people in threads like this that can't wrap their heads around this concept because we're talking about digital copies. A trade-in program could work by offering something as a credit to put towards other games. For example, maybe if they were to offer you anywhere from 25 cents - $2 for which ever game it is that you want to trade in. It wouldn't be very much money, but it would benefit customers like me who buy lots of games from Steam. They could even regulate it so that trade-in credits can't be used for more than 50% of the value of the game that you are trying to buy with them.

I would never expect to get any kind of large percentage of my money back from a game that I've purchase new for $50 or anything, I just think that people who buy lots of games would appreciate some kind of a reward for being a good customer of Steam. A reward system would be a sort of marketing program in a way. News of this would spread like wildfire, and I think it would keep steam at the forefront of the digital distribution business. Its another way for Steam to offer something that nobody else does. Valve is an inovator in the games industry, so I don't think theres any doubt that they would be looking at something like this.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1623020
BattleAxe_604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
teH_angRy_nIgHt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxe_604 View Post
I did a thread a while back about a "trade-in program". I think they should have some sort of incentive program like this. There are alot of people in threads like this that can't wrap their heads around this concept because we're talking about digital copies. A trade-in program could work by offering something as a credit to put towards other games. For example, maybe if they were to offer you anywhere from 25 cents -
okay ..okay. Here's the thing. How does Steam make any money from this?

I don't think they are under a circumstance that they can sell back, idk, the keys? Do they really run out keys? Unless the company stops sending them? I don't know how their deals with publisher's work. Do you?
teH_angRy_nIgHt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Bilateralrope

Lets say a game costs x, and would get a refund of y under this proposal. What does selling back offer anyone over not allowing sell-backs and just selling the game at x-y in the first place ?

Whats to stop publishers saying "We sell at x elsewhere, but since Steam lets people claim y back, we charge x+y on Steam ?
They already charge the same price on Steam that they do for copies on disk, despite lower costs for digital distribution.

Sell-backs mean there will be people who regret selling their game. So they clog Steam support with attempts to get it back.

Then you need to think of people who get their accounts stolen and their game library sold for the profit of whoever stole the account.

If you have a game installed that you don't have permission to run (say, after a free weekend), Steam doesn't offer an easy way to uninstall it. This only gets worse if Steam allows sell-backs.

How should Valve handle store bought games that require Steam ?
Bilateralrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
OugaBooga

Dumb idea, would NEVER work, TOO much of a hassle with no real profit.
Steam is here to make $ not lose it with customer support issues this would cause.
OugaBooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #15
Stevontoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pridit View Post
But what's the benefit for Valve by implementing something like this? It's a win-lose situation.
Explain how store credit works. Do companies that do that also lose out right away? No!
Customers buy things with their store credit because they have it!
It's pretty much the same, they refund you a percentage which you are only allowed to use within Steam.
It's not win-lose...
It's win-takes a little longer to win as the customer needs to buy something else.
Stevontoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas