Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 03-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
soundcreepy

Just bought it, I'm surprised its running well

Found the Anarchy edition for $20 at Game Stop and figured, eh, why not.

First was shocked at how much space it wants! (3 dvds....thank god I didn't need to download this one)

Decided to run at max graphics (according to the options menu anyway) and was surprised.

Q6600 @ 2.88 ghz
4 gb DDR2 @ 990 mhz
GTX 460 768 MB @ 790/1580/2000 Core Voltage @ .950
Win 7 64 bit SP 1
-------------------------------------------------
Res 1440x900 (my monitors max)
Display Mode Fullscreen
AA 4x (meh)
Vsync On
Texture Cache Large (surprised it ran at all because I though this required at least 1 gb vram)
Texture Detail On
AF High
Transcode On (benchmark was 78)

It ran ok, for the first minute or so it was jumpy, textures popping in, all that jazz, then settled down with only the ever slight frame-rate drop and very little pop-in. Completed the first part and first quest with these settings. Got back to camp and things started popping and stuttering again, then ran smooth, then back again, gave me a headache.
------------------------------------------------
All the same settings but changed Texture Cache to Small

Still had the same jumpy, then smooth, then jumpy again.
------------------------------------------------
Changed Texture Cache back to Large
Changed Texture Detail to Off

THIS WAS THE SWEET SPOT. Game looks really good (not very sharp, but not really blurry, wasn't asking for perfection with a res at 1440x900 anyway) and no jutters or pop-in (ok, pop-in isn't eliminated, but much much much more subtle)

May play around with the AA settings still, and whatever Vsync SMART is. But overall, I am very happy

Just figured that possibly this might help others know what they might be able to expect. (not sure if there are any tweaks that work with patch 1.2)
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
dukmiester2

Yeh, with all the bad press this game got it is refreshing to hear a positive experience for a change.

Honestly, I have really enjoyed Rage. Nothing really Earth Shattering, but overall a very solid, fun shooter.

Like you, with a few adjustments to settings, I got the game to run very well in a relatively short time. Looks utterly fantastic IMO, as long as you don't zoom way in.

Got around 70 hours playtime in it, and a little over halfway through my second play-through. Of course, I went for all the side quests and take my time.

Bye for now, and have fun with Rage!
dukmiester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
lucifercrow514

$20?! I got it for $60 around November

Its a really good game I'm trying to go for all achievements
lucifercrow514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Jimmy Shelter

You've just hit on the secret "make Rage run well" mode! It's called "don't try to ramp everything up to max, be prepared to take settings down a notch or two if they cause problems, force nothing in your driver control panel, etc etc etc".
Jimmy Shelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
HomerPepsi

Once I found the right open gl driver and set my 6950 crossfire to single card, your experience is similar to mine. With texture cache set to large, max AA, max AF, vsync on and texture detail off, it looks real good (I think it looks better with texture detail off), runs 60.1 fps consistant and no slow downs. Also used a rageconfig from do not argue with everything set to max quality.

Lately, I've been using catalyst control center to max everything out in the graphics options, resulting in way sharper geometry with max AA and only slowing down from time to time to 50 fps.

Rage has really good gameplay as well. Nightmare is definitely the most fun.
HomerPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
soundcreepy

i tried using that rageconfig thing, but I didn't really notice anything, and with 1.2 unlocking more options in the video options menu I had just though ID locked out the config file anyway.

Haven't tried playing with Nvidia Control panel yet, but plan on it.

Does anyone know what this "SMART VSYNC" setting is?
soundcreepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Jimmy Shelter

I wouldn't bother with the rageconfig generator - many of the options it selects are totally inappropriate, don't actually exist in the game, based on personal preferences or downright dangerous.

Similarly I would advise to keep away from the driver control panel. Forcing settings in it could cause you problems. Specific example: forcing AF is just not appropriate to Rage, and people who try to force AF are showing a misunderstanding of what AF actually is and a misunderstanding of how Rage's texturing works. These are the "max everything out and then whinge that the game is broken when it doesn't work" people. AF is just for use on mipmapped textures, and affects how filtering is done when they're viewed at oblique angles. So far so good but - NONE OF RAGE'S TEXTURES ARE MIPMAPPED. It doesn't work that way. So force AF and not only do you achieve nothing, but you also risk affecting how the game is supposed to work.

If it works well enough just leave it be.

Smart vsync affects how vsync works. Traditionally if you miss a vertical retrace interval you must wait until the next one before the screen can update. So if your monitor refresh rate is 60hz but you're running at under 60 fps, you'll actually run at 30. With smart vsync what is supposed to happen is that you're still locked to 60 but you'll run at the correct rate if you miss an interval.

It does need a newer OpenGL extension to work though, which may not be available on your hardware. It should be harmless enough to experiment with.

Last edited by Jimmy Shelter: 03-09-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Jimmy Shelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
HomerPepsi

Hmm, maybe. I did my playthrough on 1.1 and only played a few hours on 1.2. However playing with the graphics card menu has not had any adverse affect on my pc's performance.
HomerPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
soundcreepy

Well, that's just more to chew on then. I bumped AA up to x8 and still no issues, I think next I'm going to try that SMART Vsync just for the hell of it.

The textures bug me every now and then, however its kind of like borderlands, not much point to stare at the textures anyway.

Finding that secret Doom 3d room was epic
Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
Bad_Motha

Banned
And seeing that Doom Marine bobble-head puts a smile on my face everytime.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
oede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
And seeing that Doom Marine bobble-head puts a smile on my face everytime.
That makes two of us
oede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
inconstantflux

The game seems to scale incredibly well. Once I installed the AMD rage performance driver to eliminate the ridiculous flickering and screen tearing, it runs well at 720p on low settings using my meager HD3650 512MB DDR2 card, 4GB ram and non overclocked Q6600.

Also bought for $20 retail yesterday. Great price and no burning a giant hole in my bandwidth to install it.

But speaking of Gamestop, when I asked for a copy they handed me the empty display box and the discs in a paper sleeve. Suffice to say I went to Bestbuy to buy it sealed for the same price. Don't sell me an open game for the new price. I don't care if it hasn't been registered. Why should I pay the same price for an open demo copy?

Last edited by inconstantflux: 03-10-2012 at 12:52 PM.
inconstantflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
soundcreepy

Hmm, my copy was opened as well, only because it was the last copy they had in the store. I was even asked if I cared, and if I did, he would call around and see if anyone had a sealed copy. Obviously I took the unsealed copy, since I was going to open the booming thing anyway. The Best Buy down the street had the Anarchy edition too, but for some strange reason, they still had it for 50 :0 they also have the Limited Edition of Bulletstorm for PC for 70 lol. Most likely its just they are too lazy to update their price stickers, but I'm too lazy to find out :P
Old 03-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Bad_Motha

Banned
For a place like BestBuy, try looking for it on their website if you plan to grab it from your local retail store. If the retail store didn't change the price, but the website has it @ discount, you show them that and you'll get the same price in the retail store. Or you can look to see if Walmart has it. As they will do price-matching. Long as it's the same exact product.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
TheGuvernor

RAGE is the most criminally under rated major release of the past few years.
I'm on my 3rd play through - quit Deus Ex:HR to play RAGE again.

I've had very few problems since release - Jimmy's post explains a fair bit of why people had so much trouble.

With Texture Detail off I can run this w/ everything at Max at 1680 x 1050
including 2xAA - on a GTX260 w/ a dual core & no slow downs.

RAGE, to me, is the best looking game I've ever played & has a level of polish & slickness rarely seen in a game.
- the whole 'low res' texture fetish many brought into shows a complete ignorance for the style, art & different approach id took to rendering the Wasteland.

I simply don't understand the hate this game received for its graphics.
Please try & find me any textures at all in Deus EX:HR!
TheGuvernor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE