Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online

Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Epicleptic

massive players

are ther nmmo games playing against other real people a lot or bots a lot ? and so far ius free to play does that make a difference.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
necrodoom

er, what?
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Epicleptic

sORRY, iVE NEVER PLAYED AN MMO. I dont know if most of it is 'dealing with other peoples on line or if most of it is like bots, computer controlled. as far as bots go id not be interested if it mostly computer controlled beings. Maybe 50/50 or something.

eg. is startreck like any of the above, or is there a game where there are more 'real players' than other games.

and i doubt ill ever play wow. but who knows.

is that a little clearer, cause i have little idea
Epicleptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
minababe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicleptic View Post
sORRY, iVE NEVER PLAYED AN MMO. I dont know if most of it is 'dealing with other peoples on line or if most of it is like bots, computer controlled. as far as bots go id not be interested if it mostly computer controlled beings. Maybe 50/50 or something.
It's a combination. Some gameplay is against bots (that's called PvE); some gameplay is against other players (PvP). There are very few MMOs that are purely PvP. The only one that I know of is APB Reloaded.
minababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
grazr

Isn't this something that could just be found by reading a wikipedia article you find via a simple google search?

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive...er_online_game

Google's 4th result after searching "mmo".
grazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Epicleptic

Thumbs up dear grazr

Hey Grazr,
ask me any question and im pretty sure i can use google to answer it. That doesnt mean a thing, especially when its said like me to be the clown nsmart head. I did google it anyway , days ago.
Sometimes it is really nice to post and get individuals opinions and suggestions This was just a general discussion and though i found it more fun to get some people help me out here.

Butr good on you and google., or duckduckgo
Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
grazr

No i don't think it "doesn't mean anything". If it didn't then hundreds of millions of people wouldn't be using it or wikipedia.

It's a good starting point, a step you didn't say you had already taken and one i don't think you did take despite what you say, because if you had taken such a simple step you wouldn't be asking such a simple question.

People these days just don't know how to do their own research and it really bugs me when the information is just waiting to be discovered but instead they post on a forum and expect to have all the information given to them at the expense of other peoples time. It smacks of laziness is all.

Spend an hour of your own time reading web articles on mmo's instead of making other people spend an hour writing out explinations for easy to access information just for you. It's not hard.

Last edited by grazr: 03-10-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Epicleptic

buddy, this forum is more or less annonoumous , so why'd I'd. you or anyone else would lie is kinda silly? I have read a bit on mmo etc. I dont know anyyone who has played one. not many people i know play games. I personally have FSX, Battlefield 2, Falcon Allied force and F1 2010. Im sorry if writing a few lines takes you an hour, but you put in a lot more effert here to critisize than help. I muck about with microchips and on forums i do several searches before posting a Q. I thought this was ok what ive done here. and yep its only round 7 am sunday morning, i wasting time waiting for the coffee to boil. please help me with my spelling mistakes before you go grazr
Old 03-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Benjoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazr View Post

People these days just don't know how to do their own research and it really bugs me when the information is just waiting to be discovered but instead they post on a forum and expect to have all the information given to them at the expense of other peoples time. It smacks of laziness is all.
You waste you own time. You entered this thread by choice. No one forced you to click it or read the words. You also chose to respond and in doing so you have given proof that you had no intention of helping. Your time is so valuable, but you stop to respond not once but a few times. You sir are either a liar or a troll.
Benjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
pewpewp

Ignore grazr. He's just being childish.

On topic: As minababe said, Star Trek has a mixture of both. Your question about free to play, it can be great in some games (like Star Trek, Lord of the Rings and DC Universe) or it can be terribly limiting. Some games are so bad that if you want to compete you basically have to spend your money.

What is it you are looking for in an MMO? Star Trek can be a lot of fun, but there are many different games out there. Check out MMOHut for a pretty big list of free games. They also do many gameplay videos. http://mmohut.com/gamelist
pewpewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
minababe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazr View Post
Isn't this something that could just be found by reading a wikipedia article you find via a simple google search?[/url]

Google's 4th result after searching "mmo".
The reason why the OP asked this question on a forum as opposed to looking it up is that some people would prefer to get help from other human beings and not some encyclopedia on the web.

Additionally, people ask questions like that as a way of breaking the ice when they finally develop the courage to join a community. That's what he was trying to do, initiate a conversation with other members of the STO community by asking a simple question they could help him with.

Hoped that answered your question.
minababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
royon9909

Being free to play aint bad i spent more money on getting point then getting membership but star trek should really make servers like pve server only and pvp server only you know so system won't crash as munch
royon9909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Epicleptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by minababe View Post
<snip>

Additionally, people ask questions like that as a way of breaking the ice when they finally develop the courage to join a community. That's what he was trying to do, initiate a conversation with other members of the STO community by asking a simple question they could help him with.

Hoped that answered your question.
yeah kinda, also what I did read before posting(even though Graz won't believe me) wasnt helpful because while explaining the author figured the reader knew something. Whatever MMO review I read wasn't positive. Author claimed you go on for days dealing with pointless objectives, Sorry cant qualify this post with more info. I play Battlefield 2 an hour or so a week. Just started B2 Bad Company.

Except for more interactive enviroment and graphics, I dont think its anymore fun to play. But thats just me. I actually liked BF2 more but reformatted and find now I lost those DVD;s
Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #14
grazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjoseph View Post
You also chose to respond and in doing so you have given proof that you had no intention of helping.
I gave him links to the relevant information he asked for in order to kick start his research and then told him not to be so lazy because it's a bad habit. I don't see how that is not helping or in any way trollish behaviour; and telling me my argument is undermined by the simple fact i bothered to post in this thread is a circular arguement that also happens to completely miss the point.

If he had asked for specific STO information or mmo comparisons to STO i wouldn't have said anything, this is afterall an STO forum. But he did not. "are ther nmmo games playing against other real people a lot or bots a lot?" is a poorly constructed, barely legible sentence asking for general mmo information that hardly warrants a thread on any forum, let alone here. I am not merely flaming on the thread, the thread already exists and that would serve no purpose, i am simply pointing out that by taking a little initiative threads like this aren't necessary to begin with.

Do not mistake my criticism for mindless hostility.

Last edited by grazr: 03-13-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online