Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
faceXkicker

civ 5, workers not finishing work

I just bought civ 5, and I ran in to a problem where in some spots workers won't finish a job I tell them to do, it'll get interrupted. I googled it and couldn't find an answer. Is it a bug or some mechanic I don't know about? It seems that it'll ask me every turn what I want the worker to do, and if I tell them to do the same thing, after a few turns it'll finish the job.

Last edited by faceXkicker: 03-10-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Thander

That is a change in one of the patches. If there is an enemy unit to within a certain radius of the worker, they automatically stop the worker and ask you for new orders. It is to prevent you from forgetting about the worker, so it doesn't get captured. Before the worker would just keep working and then get captured unless you checked all your workers every turn. (I do this already, but some people did not and lost workers.)
Thander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
faceXkicker

I have vision of everything around the area and don't see any units anywhere close though.
faceXkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
peegee77

This seems to be an intermittent problem, but when it gets bad it can really spoil the game, especially if you have a lot of workers active. This is how it looks:

Prompt = A Unit Needs Orders
You give orders to all your units. One, for example, might be a worker and you order them to build a farm, 6 turns
Prompt = Next Turn
You click on next turn, and it changes back to
Prompt = A Unit Needs Orders
Your workers are highlighted, standing there scratching their backsides and looking stupid. You slap them gently and tell them to get on with building the farm.
Prompt = Next Turn, click
Prompt = Please Wait, turn sequence moves forward

Next turn the same stupidity continues, with the workers needing to be told what to do twice every turn. So for example, I currently have 6 workers building farms. This should mean I have to give 6 orders. With the bug I have to give 6 x 2 x 6 = 72 orders, and it's getting to be a right pain.

It has nothing to do with enemy movements. On my game currently I am not at war and there are no barbarians around. I have a unit of workers 2 tiles away from a foreign unit on the border, and they are working quite happily as they should do. I have another unit that is a full 6 tiles from the nearest foreign unit, and that one has to be given orders twice each turn.
peegee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
chaklong

How the hell did they manage to break the game...
chaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Tronoid

this also happened to me, but I think it is a consequence of my citizens to be extremely unhappy (-10)
Tronoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
Modiga-Disabled

Volunteer Moderator
I've only ever seen this happen in one, overly broad and poorly implemented situation, so I assume it's the cause for you.

Workers will stop working if a known enemy unit is in range of attacking them. The way 'in range' is defined is that if the enemy unit can move to a tile and from that tile attack the worker, it is in range. It does not take terrain movement costs or zone of control into account.

So if a barbarian archer is on the fourth tile from your worker, your worker will stop working, because the archer will be able to move within two tiles of your worker and from that position the worker will be in range of its ranged attack. Never mind the fact there's a warrior between your worker and the archer and that the terrain is forest and that there's a river in the way and that even if the archer did move in such a way, its turn would end before it fired. The mechanism to protect workers from being taken is slightly overzealous in regard.

Although not quite as annoying as barbarians being able to spawn and move in a single turn in simultaneous turns.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Apostulator

Maybe if your civilization currently has a happiness rating of Negative 10, 15, or 20 or worse, AND the offending worker is a captured unit from a rival civ your are at war with or were recently at war with...?
Apostulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
scottmcg

Has happened to me quite often. Zero enemies around. The only solution I have found is to set the worker to become "automated" otherwise it will ask for orders every turn forever.
scottmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
mds297

I've experienced this when a city I've captured is in resistance. My assumption is that the AI thinks it's therefore not worth developing any of the tiles near that city.
mds297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Annexed

I'm having the same problem with vanilla Civ 5. It seems as though any tile that I have seen occupied by an enemy unit during war causes a worker that arrives later a problem. You have to command that worker every single turn to build the same improvement until it is completed, while workers on other tiles will happily finish an improvement as intended.

Any suggestions?

At the moment I guess I'll stick to pacifist space/cultural routes...
Annexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
invishiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annexed View Post
I'm having the same problem with vanilla Civ 5. It seems as though any tile that I have seen occupied by an enemy unit during war causes a worker that arrives later a problem. You have to command that worker every single turn to build the same improvement until it is completed, while workers on other tiles will happily finish an improvement as intended.

Any suggestions?

At the moment I guess I'll stick to pacifist space/cultural routes...
I like to think of it as the resistance by the subjugated population. Basically it happens to me with workers in annexed or puppet cities, and I can't really tell if building a courthouse helps.
invishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Zinderin

I STILL experience this.

For whatever reason, the damned workers will not complete their building task without telling them every turn what they need to do. And I own everything around them, there's no enemy units in the area, I'm not even at war with anyone!!!!!

And I can almost always trigger it by capturing workers.

This is the most annoying damned bug! Its almost as annoying as a crash, cuz once it starts, it like for the rest of the damned game, so I just drop the game and start over.

PLEASE fix this.
Zinderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
necbone

Firaxis QA here, we're looking for a save for this issue using Gods & Kings, not just the base game. If you have a save game that reproduces this issue please email it to me at Pglascoe@firaxis.com

Thanks guys!
necbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
invishiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by necbone View Post
Firaxis QA here, we're looking for a save for this issue using Gods & Kings, not just the base game. If you have a save game that reproduces this issue please email it to me at Pglascoe@firaxis.com

Thanks guys!
Thanks for looking into this. I don't have G&K, but hopefully someone else sees this post and sends you a save. You should try asking on the Discussion page for this game as well.
invishiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series