Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stacking

Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Fyrefly

Game Launches to Black Screen

Just bought stacking, was super excited...and it launches to a black screen. No audio, nothing. I have to hit the windows key and escape a few times to get it to come out to the desktop. Since I can't get in to fool with any settings I'm not really sure how to fix the issue without going into a game file somewhere and fixing things. And since I seem to be the only one with this problem so far, any ideas?

System specs:
Windows 7 Pro
Intel Core i5 2.67 GHz
8 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GT 420M w/ 1 GB memory

I just updated my drivers to be double sure, so that's not the issue.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Kiya

Have you tried the basics - verify game files, exit properly and restart steam, reboot PC?
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Fyrefly

Sorry, should have been more specific.

Yes to the verifying, yes to killing the process manually and redoing it, yes to restarting steam and rebooting.

So it has to be something outside my standard bag of tricks because I exceed the recommended systems specs. It's strange.
Fyrefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Kiya

The next most common reason for problems like this that I have seen with other games is the microsoft redistribution package not installing a required file properly so if you havn't already done so, you could try going to Steam->steamapps->common->stacking->Redist, and running the vcredist_x86 application manually
Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Fyrefly

No luck there either, thanks. Put in a ticket to Steam support but since the DF people seem to be prowling around here too maybe there's a chance someone will see it.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Kiya

Last idea - are you maybe running a non-standard resolution? You could try right clicking on Stacking in your library, selecting properties, then in the General tab of box that comes up select 'Set launch options' and put -window in the box to see if the game will run without hanging in windowed mode.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
You probably need the latest DirectX runtime. I don't have it handy right now, but DFDavid posted it in another thread (or a quick google will sort you out). That's usually the cause of black screen on start.
DFNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Fyrefly

Thanks for both your responses. Windowed mode has not worked, although my resolution is 1920x1080 which isn't unusual at all.

Reinstalling the DirectX redistributable as found here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=8109 also has not worked.

If it helps at all, I'm getting literally nothing. No audio, no splash screen then start, etc. It just gives me a black screen, or in this case, a window now, and hangs. I have to force quit to get out of it.

I bought the whole package and Psychonauts and Costume Quest both play fine. Again probably not relevant but I figure at this point more data is better than less.

Thanks again for your assistance! It's also great that Double Fine has sent people along to the Steam forums to help people out. I appreciate it.

I have put in a ticket to Steam support but have yet to hear back from them. Is there a point when I should be talking to DF directly or is this still something that should be resolved through Steam?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
Fyrefly, you are talking to DF directly now

I'm honestly pretty stumped, but will discuss w/ DF David tomorrow. Can you post your steam system specs here or send them to me in a PM?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Fyrefly

Well what I meant was if it was more convenient for you to put queries somewhere else.

PM is incoming. Really appreciate your help on this.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Barnababes

I'm getting the same thing. Tried everything suggested, black screen, nothing.
Barnababes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
I got Fyrefly's computer settings. Barnababes and anyone else affected, plz send me your specs, too. I'll look at it w/ the relevant programmer and QA types tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
DrayFingerless

Im having this issue as well. Ive manually installed the DX, run in window and fullscreen, admin mode, everything. And in opposition, i have an ATI video card as opposed to the nVidia cards the other people reporting this problem have. Would really wish for a solution soon thank you
DrayFingerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
DrayFingerless, sorry you're having this issue, too. Please PM me your system info. We'll have you guys sorted out as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks for your patience!!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
bass276

Fyrefly,

Sorry if this is a dumb question... but Stacking IS assigned to your 420M ??

On my 335M m11xR2, if Stacking is assigned to the Intel Integrated Graphics, it launches to a black-screen as well.

(For me this isn't isolated to Stacking - almost all my new Steam games need to be manually set to use the nV chip via the Nvidia Control Panel).
bass276 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stacking