Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Casey12141

Adding commands to/customizing the "Run" Function

Hey guys,

I'd like to be able to add shortcuts to other programs, like video games, to the run command. So far, I've added a registry key in the App Paths folder for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (I just titled it "MW" to type faster). I've noticed that for most of the other programs in the App Paths folder, the strings used are "default" and "path". Default is the path of the exe, and path is the containing folder. I've edited my CoD:MW shortcut to use these, as shown here.

Problem is, whenever I try and use the "mw" shortcut in Run, I get this error. If I press OK, cod4 tries to start up, only to give an error saying that "No .IWD files were found in /main" (the game couldn't load the texture files).

How can I get past these errors? It would be great if someone could teach me about this stuff, it's really cool learning it and it would save my lazy butt some time as well
Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Bad_Motha

Banned
You'd rather go through all that BS, for what!?
Just create a "Games" folder on your desktop and put all your game shortcuts in there. How hard is that?
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Casey12141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
You'd rather go through all that BS, for what!?
Just create a "Games" folder on your desktop and put all your game shortcuts in there. How hard is that?
I have one lol; I just like only using my keyboard to open stuff, it makes me feel cool Also I enjoy knowing a lot about how registries and basic features of Windows work. Plus, now that I have this problem, I won't be able to get anything done until I solve it

It's more of just something cool to do rather than an absolute necessity.
Casey12141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
MmmBacon

I'm going to assume you are running this through Steam as well. If so, you may want to check out the Steam browser protocol. As long as your keyboard accepts launching websites, this is far easier. An example command would be: steam://rungameid/440 which fires up TF2.

You can quickly make these shortcuts by right-clicking the game and make desktop shortcut. Viewing the properties will give you the link.
MmmBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Menaus

Try Linux
Menaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Casey12141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaus View Post
Try Linux
I did for a while, and I liked it, but using WINE for games just doesn't cut it for me. If most games had native Linux support, I absolutely would, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmBacon View Post
I'm going to assume you are running this through Steam as well. If so, you may want to check out the Steam browser protocol. As long as your keyboard accepts launching websites, this is far easier. An example command would be: steam://rungameid/440 which fires up TF2.

You can quickly make these shortcuts by right-clicking the game and make desktop shortcut. Viewing the properties will give you the link.
No, I try to avoid Steam as much as possible haha. The forums are nice but the interface is dreadful
Old 03-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
ViRUS2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey12141 View Post
No, I try to avoid Steam as much as possible haha. The forums are nice but the interface is dreadful
Using the Steam browser protocol also avoids the interface completely, you only see the "Preparing to launch X..." dialog.
ViRUS2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Mangr0v3

Is there something even remotely close to Alfred for Windows?
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
HurtSauce

The syntax, the way you have it shown, is probably making Windows think you're using a command-line switch, which is what forward slashes are used for.

What happens if you change the forward slashes (/) to BACKslashes (\) since these are the proper/valid characters used for file and directory path names?

I've never messed with these keys in the registry so I'm only guessing, but every other key name for every other program in that area of the registry matches the actual filename exactly, there are no shortened or abbreviated versions of the filenames used as key names. You may want to try naming the registry key the same name as the actual .exe file, just to make sure that's not also adding to the problem.

Edit:
After testing this a bit on my laptop (sorry, don't have MW installed so I had to use another game) it appears the forward/backslash thing isn't an issue, it reads them both as backslashes essentially. I did have an issue naming the registry key something other than what the actual filename was though, so that may be part of the issue.

I used the TrackMania Nations Forever game launcher as my test subject and I noticed that using the reg key to start the launcher gave me a lot of warnings/errors that the shortcut doesn't give me. After clicking OK about 4 times it did eventually start the launcher, but the game wouldn't start from the launcher. Starting it from the shortcut lets me start the game without a problem. There may be other keys needed or other paths to be added to make games work properly...

Last edited by HurtSauce: 03-11-2012 at 08:54 PM.
HurtSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
MeStinkBAD

Just pop the Start Menu up and start typing the name of the game... it'll show up at the top of the list...
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeStinkBAD View Post
Just pop the Start Menu up and start typing the name of the game... it'll show up at the top of the list...
As long as your leave your Start Menu shortcuts intact, like what a program or game adds in there during install.

Or expand upon the Windows Search index to include other folders.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #12
Casey12141

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeStinkBAD View Post
I know, and I do this sometimes as well. The thing is this: 1. it's still slower and 2. I want to learn more about why this won't work, now that I know about it.

I was just hoping someone here knew the syntax for another string of values to make the .exe load texture files, because with only the default and path strings, it's not working. Saving under 4 seconds when I open up a game doesn't really matter to me.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
MmmBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtSauce View Post
The syntax, the way you have it shown, is probably making Windows think you're using a command-line switch, which is what forward slashes are used for.

What happens if you change the forward slashes (/) to BACKslashes (\) since these are the proper/valid characters used for file and directory path names?
@Casey12141 Did you do this? According to your first screenshot, your syntax is wrong. Path names all use: \

For parameters I use - personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
Is there something even remotely close to Alfred for Windows?
The first one one the list is probably your best bet.

Last edited by MmmBacon: 03-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.
MmmBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Casey12141

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmBacon View Post
@Casey12141 Did you do this? According to your first screenshot, your syntax is wrong. Path names all use: \

For parameters I use - personally.

The first one one the list is probably your best bet.
Yes, I tried both ways. Regardless, Windows uses forward slash for every other registry path entry, and also the .exe was loaded so the path had to have been right. All I need is another string value or something to make sure the .exe gamer launcher loads the textures and stuff. I don't know why it doesn't already, though

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems