Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darksiders

Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
d_y_a

No controls keyboard/mouse or 360 controller

I know this has been a big issue, but none of the fixes seem to help me, so I figured I'd start fresh here.

I got the hardcopy of this game that installs directly to Steam. I started this with my 360 controller (official Microsoft) connected. The keyboard/mouse control the menus fine and the controller Start button works, but NOTHING else works in game.

Then I quit, d/c'd the controller, and tried again: same result. I rebooted the computer: same result.

At this point, there is no way to play this game (and the Giant Bombcast really makes me want to play!). Can anyone offer advice?

System:
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Razer Naga
Controller: Wired Microsoft 360 controller

CPU: Intel i5-2500k
GPU: 2x eVGA Superclocked GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 16GB

FIXED: Solution
So much thanks to jamiemac for helping with this.

To play with keyboard/mouse:
1. Download xinputemu3.zip -- extract
2. Copy "dinput8.dll" into Darksiders main install folder (mine is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\darksiders, could also be C:\Program Files (x86)\darksiders or elsewhere)
3. Play the game!

If you want to use your 360 controller, I guess you have to use an emulator, which seems to also be in that .zip file you downloaded. I have not tested this, but another user says to copy "xbox360cemu.ini" and "xinput9_1_0.dll" into your Darksiders folder to use your 360 controller. Note: do NOT copy "dinput8.dll" to your Darksiders folder if you're doing this method.

Enjoy!

Last edited by d_y_a: 03-11-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
jamiemac

Did you download and install the drivers/software for the Xbox controller? Mine did the exact same thing as your describing and now it works great.
jamiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
d_y_a

I just went through that process, and nothing changed.
d_y_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
jamiemac

So I found this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1441279 about users having issues with their Xbox controller. Most of the links are broken, but go to the very last post and download the file. Then go back to the first post for the instructions. I remember now that it wasn't only the Xbox software I needed, but I also needed to do this (it was 2 years ago, I can't remember everything!)

I hope this helps a little more, there's a lot of good advice through the entire post that may be helpful for your situation.
jamiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
d_y_a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemac View Post
So I found this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1441279 about users having issues with their Xbox controller. Most of the links are broken, but go to the very last post and download the file. Then go back to the first post for the instructions. I remember now that it wasn't only the Xbox software I needed, but I also needed to do this (it was 2 years ago, I can't remember everything!)

I hope this helps a little more, there's a lot of good advice through the entire post that may be helpful for your situation.
From the moment the screen said "Click to start" instead of "Press Start," I knew it worked, and it did!

Seriously, favorite post on the internet, right there!! Thank you sooooo much!

Going to update OP with details.
d_y_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
netbozo

You shouldn't have to go through all that to get a microsoft 360 controller working. All you have to do is have the xbox 360 controller driver download from microsoft. Once you have that installed you are good to go with any games using the 360 controller. You installed a directinput emulator. You might still have issues with other games that use a 360 controller. Just a heads up.
netbozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Senvae

I'm having the exact same problem as described above, but I used to play Darksiders just fine with my controller without adding any additional drivers or software. I had to format Windows 7 64bit a month ago, and then my first install of steam caused me problems so I had to re-install. Now I can't get my Wireless Xbox 360 controller to work with the game. I have the drivers installed. This game used to work just fine... I don't know what happened to it. I don't want to have to download any additional software to have this bloody game working, because I know it doesn't need it. Unless some sort of recent update killed it.
Senvae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Senvae

Also, I tried using the top post's solution to get the game to work with the controller and nothing changed. Still doesn't work. All I can do is press start at the title screen, no response after that unless I click something with the mouse. In game I seem to have no controls either, the camera just turns around the character endlessly. All that seems to work is the ESC key and the mouse clicks. A re-install didn't work either.
Senvae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
mbazdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senvae View Post
Also, I tried using the top post's solution to get the game to work with the controller and nothing changed. Still doesn't work. All I can do is press start at the title screen, no response after that unless I click something with the mouse. In game I seem to have no controls either, the camera just turns around the character endlessly. All that seems to work is the ESC key and the mouse clicks. A re-install didn't work either.
I'm going to guess that you also have a Logitech G13. I was getting the same thing and remembered that this happened a while ago to me on another game. The solution for me was to go into Device Manager and disable under Human Interface Devices the Logitech G13 Joystick.

That's not a perfect solution, and i think it's actually one of those HID Compliant Devices that is part of the G13 that is to be disabled but oh well. This works and I just re-enable it when I'm done.
mbazdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
nahtanoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbazdell View Post
I'm going to guess that you also have a Logitech G13. I was getting the same thing and remembered that this happened a while ago to me on another game. The solution for me was to go into Device Manager and disable under Human Interface Devices the Logitech G13 Joystick.

That's not a perfect solution, and i think it's actually one of those HID Compliant Devices that is part of the G13 that is to be disabled but oh well. This works and I just re-enable it when I'm done.
i also have a g13 and had to do the same thing disabling the joystick emulation in the device manager, it fixed my issues with "the saboteur". now everything works fine
nahtanoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
DIMREEPER

Banned
If you have any other input devices installed it can allocate that to the primary controller, like me i have a keyboard with a thumbstick on it, it was this thumbstick that was assigned as controller for Darksiders when i ran it.

Just had to disable the Joystick part (HID Compliant game controller) Nothing else.

Worked a treat afterwords
DIMREEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darksiders