Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stacking

Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
r09u3

Unhappy Lockup/Crashing

I am having constant lockups and crashes. The games either crashes to the desktop where there is a small window called "callstack" with an ok button in it, or it locks up and I have to go to taskmamager and kill the callstack window (which crashes the game).

My system is:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400
6 Gig Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1Gig

Last edited by r09u3: 03-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
Hrm, very strange. Do you have the latest drivers from NVIDA (and not too latest i.e. beta)? Do you have any heavy/invasive background processes running like AV software? If so, can you try playing w/ them disabled to see if it fixes the issue?

Hopefully we'll have you sorted our shortly.
DFNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
r09u3

Yes I have version 295.73. I verified the game files several times but no problems there. I only have my virus/firewall (Kaspersky) running, I added Stacking to the list of trusted apps and will try it again. If it still does it I'll try disabling it and check back...

Update: No I tried turning it off and still get the same crash.

Last edited by r09u3: 03-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.
r09u3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
barry0mason

Lock up - Crash to desktop.

I'm also have the same issue as the guy above.

Game played fine until i hit 54% completion last night Solving the clock wind at the train station. And then it crashed to the desktop with the little callstack window with the OK button.

Tried it again tonight, was able to board the "fun train - triple Decker" rescued the people in the first stage and then it crashed to the desktop again with the callstack window.

Is there a log file? I found the dump report but it doesn't appear to point to anything specific.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
8192MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Display Memory: 4064 MB
barry0mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
FYI that we're looking into this. More news as soon as we have it.
DFNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
supadupanerd

I'm having the same crashing issue with the sickle the sly area... (now twice in a row) when going into the second story... I'm going to try a few things and report back.
supadupanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
DFDavid

Double Fine Productions
We just patched Stacking to enable us to look at minidumps of any crashes. Hopefully, that will give us some good information about the problem.

Could you download the latest patch and run Stacking again? The patch likely won't fix the crash, but it will send us information that we can analyze.
DFDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Sparrowsluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDavid View Post
We just patched Stacking to enable us to look at minidumps of any crashes. Hopefully, that will give us some good information about the problem.

Could you download the latest patch and run Stacking again? The patch likely won't fix the crash, but it will send us information that we can analyze.
I just crashed on the train in the exact same spot I've been crashing since the release. Does my game automatically send you guys the information or will I need to upload this file somewhere?
Sparrowsluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
DFDavid

Double Fine Productions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowsluck View Post
I just crashed on the train in the exact same spot I've been crashing since the release. Does my game automatically send you guys the information or will I need to upload this file somewhere?
Steam uploads them automatically, but Valve anonymizes the minidumps. I was just looking through the crash logs, and I see quite a few crashes from the Train level; the game is trying to stop a cutscene that has either not started yet or has already ended.

Could you tell us the spot in the train level that is crashing? Is it around any particular cutscenes? Do you have reproducible steps to cause the game to crash, and maybe even a savegame you could send us? Thanks!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Sparrowsluck

Quote:
Steam uploads them automatically, but Valve anonymizes the minidumps. I was just looking through the crash logs, and I see quite a few crashes from the Train level; the game is trying to stop a cutscene that has either not started yet or has already ended.

Could you tell us the spot in the train level that is crashing? Is it around any particular cutscenes? Do you have reproducible steps to cause the game to crash, and maybe even a savegame you could send us? Thanks!
So I always use a controller to play, and every single time I started the game it always crashed at this same exact spot. I must have tried over a dozen times with various patches hoping this problem would be fixed, every time using a controller. Just now I went in game to get a screenshot for you of exactly where I was crashing and it did not happen, this time I was not using a controller. Just for clarity I have tried playing after the last patch so I do not believe it to be fixed yet. You are right that it has to do with a cutscene as well, finally this time without crashing it played the cutscene properly.

Well anyway here is the point I would crash at: Picture The second I would step on the middle carpet the crash would happen, this is also exactly where the cutscene starts. I would upload my save file but it saved right after the cutscene, so it's not like you could use it for purposes of testing this crash.

In case it will help others with this problem I have uploaded my dxdiag here and what I assume is my specific crash information here. Oh and the controller I was using was a standard corded xbox 360 one. Hope this helps.
Sparrowsluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
DFDavid

Double Fine Productions
Ahh yes, the ice sculpture cutscene. I looked at your minidump and it's definitely the crash in StopCutscene. I was just speaking with the lead programmer from Stacking, and we'll take a look at this together on Monday. We should be able to get you a fix shortly after that.

At first glance, I'm not sure how using a gamepad controller vs. mouse/keyboard would cause this bug, but I can't rule it out yet.

Thanks you very much for your help! I'll keep you updated.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
DFDavid

Double Fine Productions
Sparrowsluck, could you send us your save game file just before the crash? We've been looking at the code today, and couldn't find (or even reproduce) the bug. There's definitely a problem because we see the crash in the minidumps, but we can't find a way to put the game into a state where it crashes.

The Stacking save games should be stored in your Steam folder in Steam/userdata/[your user number]/115110/remote and the three save slots are in files named st_save_0, st_save_1, and st_save_2. You can email the file to support@doublefine.com, post it on Dropbox, or just print it out and mail it (just kidding!)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
Starburns

Quote:
Ahh yes, the ice sculpture cutscene. I looked at your minidump and it's definitely the crash in StopCutscene. I was just speaking with the lead programmer from Stacking, and we'll take a look at this together on Monday. We should be able to get you a fix shortly after that.

At first glance, I'm not sure how using a gamepad controller vs. mouse/keyboard would cause this bug, but I can't rule it out yet.

Thanks you very much for your help! I'll keep you updated.
I got that very same crash a lot of other users reported but I was able to avoid it by (I don't know how to put it clearly) approaching the area where the cut scene triggers at a different angle. Basically when I enter the train car I go to the right side and then approach the ice sculpture. Hope that helps until this is sorted out.
Starburns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stacking