Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Engineer

Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Araak

Playing engineer in Highlander

I'm just about to have my first go playing Engineer in the new season of Highlander.

Now I've never played Highlander before and only ever played Engie in normal pub games. I'm really not sure what I should be doing. Obviously I have to move my buildings up but mostly I'm confused about sentry guns.

Should I play a gunslinger engie though I never normally play this? Should I be using the Wrangler with mini-sentries? Or would it be okay to stick to the normal sentry guns? I'm happy to switch to mini-sentries situationally but using them all the time would be a complete change of playstyle.

Any tips greatly appreciated!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
KarateF22

Gunslinger is generally the way to go unless a stalemate occurs (noone caps for a bit) or you are defending your final point. I would use your pistol unless you are amazing with the wrangler or using the full sentry.
KarateF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #3

There is no reason to use anything but the Wrangler.

Generally, Gunslinger for offense, Jag/Eureka Effect for defense. Gunslinger is best for 5CP because you're constantly shifting positions, although a level 3 can be a great help defending last.

Same deal with Standin.

Gunslinger works on Payload Offense well too, because you're always moving up, but the Jag can have some use too if you can manage to get a level 3 in an amazing spot and Wrangler stuff to death.

Payload Defense, use the Jag if you plan to Wrangler jump. Also use the Jag during setup time. Build a teleporter, then build a level 3 in spawn as fast as you can and carry it to the frontlines. If the Soldier is running the Disciplinary Action, which he should be, tell him to whip you. Also tell your teammates to kill themselves so you have enough metal to get up your stuff while still having enough respawn time so everyone is ready when the gates open.

After setup time and without Wrangler jumping spots, use the Eureka Effect in place of the Jag on defense.

KOTH is pretty much Gunslinger-only. Aimbots on the point are incredibly irritating, shutting down Scouts, Pyros, and jumpers with ease.
4812622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
kim kimera kime

In comp what matters is building placement. you need to place your teleporters out of harm yet close to the battlefield, hile your sentry covers a good part of the battelfield, the wrangler can help with this.
When using gunslinger, you are backing up your team with the mini-sentry and putting up disensers for your team to go too.

On Payload, use the wrench on defense. You can use the wrench on offense as well, but it is genereally better to use the gunslinger due to the mobility. On KOTH & 5CP, you often use the gunslinger, but use the wrench when pushed into defense on 5CP.
kim kimera kime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Rynjin

I'll tell you what: I'm not much of an Engie player, but I know things are about 1000x easier if you ninja teleporters behind enemy lines.
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
shiftup72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
I'll tell you what: I'm not much of an Engie player, but I know things are about 1000x easier if you ninja teleporters behind enemy lines.
Dont do this. This has never worked in pubs ive been in. Its happened twice in HL games ive been in (one scrim, and one game that happened tonight), and both times it just resulted in some easy kills and wasted time for the team with the ninjaporter.

Unless you have some crazy strategy set up with your team to tele in behind an enemy with a kritz heavy, dont do it.
shiftup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Gala-Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araak View Post
I'm just about to have my first go playing Engineer in the new season of Highlander.

Now I've never played Highlander before and only ever played Engie in normal pub games. I'm really not sure what I should be doing. Obviously I have to move my buildings up but mostly I'm confused about sentry guns.

Should I play a gunslinger engie though I never normally play this? Should I be using the Wrangler with mini-sentries? Or would it be okay to stick to the normal sentry guns? I'm happy to switch to mini-sentries situationally but using them all the time would be a complete change of playstyle.

Any tips greatly appreciated!
As a truly veteran Engineer and being unbeaten in last seasons ETF2L Highlander competition i'll help you out.

1. Check the map pool depending which league you play in.

2. Practice the maps find best sentry teleport, dispenser, spots, and what stages/capture points/parts of the map you should be at and when.

3. choose the right loadout for the Right situations, be it defending supporting or on the offense.

4.Focus all your efforts on supporting/helping your team.
Gala-Vine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Rynjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftup72 View Post
Dont do this. This has never worked in pubs ive been in.
Then you're doing it wrong. Seriously, pubs are even better for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftup72 View Post
Its happened twice in HL games ive been in (one scrim, and one game that happened tonight), and both times it just resulted in some easy kills and wasted time for the team with the ninjaporter.

Unless you have some crazy strategy set up with your team to tele in behind an enemy with a kritz heavy, dont do it.
Gullywash.

Teleporter in the little alcove under the last control point.

They couldn't do about the Uber Heavy assault from behind while the rest of the team started taking the control point.

Goooooooood tiiiiiimes.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Heisterburg

Know your maps inside and out. Do not use the Eureka Effect. It is situational, and moving your buildings matters, especially when you have level 3's. If on defense, get a definite plan of where you are going to build what, and practice it over and over again. If you need extra metal in setup time, get your team to suicide for you. Gala-Vine has the right idea.
Heisterburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Perfect Cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
Then you're doing it wrong. Seriously, pubs are even better for this.

Gullywash.

Teleporter in the little alcove under the last control point.

They couldn't do about the Uber Heavy assault from behind while the rest of the team started taking the control point.

Goooooooood tiiiiiimes.
I take the credit for that teleporter.
Perfect Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisterburg View Post
Do not use the Eureka Effect. It is situational, and moving your buildings matters, especially when you have level 3's.
It's map situational. On defense you're never moving unless you're Wrangler-jumping anyway.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Rynjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
I take the credit for that teleporter.
Credit is rightfully yours.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Heisterburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4812622 View Post
It's map situational. On defense you're never moving unless you're Wrangler-jumping anyway.
It has no practical use and robs you of the option of moving your stuff. I cannot think of any maps where it is worth it. Especially since half the time you have just as good of a chance running for it rather than using the Eureka Effect.
Heisterburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisterburg View Post
It has no practical use and robs you of the option of moving your stuff. I cannot think of any maps where it is worth it.
let's see here

swiftwaterbadwaterbarnblitz thundermountainupwardfrontier

and goldrush/dustbowl but they really don't count

also ctf but it's a terrible mode

what did i miss

Defenders don't need to move if they're not Wrangler-jumping, so it's a moot point. Also, infinite metal is quite practical. It's worth using on defense after the base you made during setup goes down, unless there is jumping to be done.

Last edited by 4812622: 03-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
Rynjin

^Would probably be decent on Steel or Gravelpit too, if used correctly.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Engineer