Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
MentisVenator

Video / Audio skip

This last week, I played games on steam, i've played games that I haven't aquired via steam, i've played games that require an internet connection, i've watched videos on YouTube, all have the same problem - Video / Audio skip, as in a series of sudden skipping forward of video and audio (e.g. I -m ta-ki-g to y-u) I've eliminated the probable causes of it:

Outdated Video Driver - Updated it recently, so it's not that.
Headset - I disconnected it while it was playing a game, the video skip happened anyway. I tried a number of different types of ear/headphone, the result is the same.
Internet Connection - I played a steam game offline, it's not that, although I did have an upgrade to my internet connection within 7 days of this post.
Adobe Flash Player - Updated it recently, it shouldn't affect the games, only YouTube and similar websites.
Quicktime - Up to date.
Steam - It's not that as if that was the case, then why is YouTube affected?

I don't know what to do next, any of you faced similar problems or can direct me to an info source that can help me out of this? Would you want to play a game where something to do with what you're playing on is making this video/audio skip?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
PELUXA1

You have something in the background running that is probably using all your CPU.

And, it could a bad driver, virus, faulty hardware, etc...

http://www.google.com/search?q=audio+stuttering
PELUXA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
smash

Volunteer Moderator
What are your system specs?

Yeah, I found this thread and it has a lot of suggestions for fixing a similar problem. Some of these suggestions are for some of the more veteran PC users.

Last edited by smash: 03-13-2012 at 10:02 PM.
smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
MentisVenator

Specs:

Graphics card - ATI Raedon HD 4800 Series
RAM - 6GB
Free Disk Space - Over 200GB (after OS and desired programs)
Processor - Intel Core i7
OS - Windows 7

If you need more info about it, i'll look into it. As for what links have been posted so far, i'll look into them. If there are any other links relating to this problem, please post them.

Last edited by MentisVenator: 03-13-2012 at 10:42 PM.
MentisVenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
MentisVenator

it's not the graphics driver, i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, that didn't work.

I regularly scan for viruses, so it's not that.

Hardware...i've used the Latency tool and the wireless network card has high (red) latency, all others are low (green). I might have to reinstall those drivers, but first I'd best download them for a reliable source.

Wireless card - Edimax 802.11n Wireless PCI Card.

I'll look into other causes, but this happened around the time I had a faster internet connection installed.

As far as graphics card settings, i've left it alone for the 2 years that i've had the PC (e.g. no overclocking or other "enhancements"), I've had no problems until around 6th March 2012.

Last edited by MentisVenator: 03-14-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
2dor

I assume its a codec problem. Do you have a codec pack installed ?

I recommend K Lite Full (last version always)
2dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
MentisVenator

I'll try reinstalling the wireless card driver and the chipset driver (the CDs containing them came with the PC) and if that doesn't work, i'll try the codec pack.

Which version of K-Lite should I download, 8.5?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Eetami

Sounds to me you should try another GPU card and see if it helps. Your current card may have overheated or otherwise gotten broken (due to unknown circumstances).
Eetami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
MentisVenator

A minor flaw in your theory, I checked the latency by turning off the drivers and it's the Wireless card that had latency spikes, NOT the graphics card.

Also I haven't messed with the settings of it.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Atwooooood

I used to have audio skipping on my laptop when I listened to any media like youtube or just mp3's on my hard drive.

I fixed my issue by upgrading my audio driver, which a lot of people never tend to do.

You can give that a try if you haven't already.
Atwooooood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
MentisVenator

Open GL Triple Buffering reduced the audio / video stutter to one in the 1st test of it (I used the confidence building commentary section of Portal 2 as a test), I changed that in the 3D Application settings in Catalyst Control Center and it appears to have made a difference...i'll keep doing it to see if that has any effect.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
MentisVenator

Chipset driver reinstall (from CD) made no difference, OpenGL Triple buffering made no difference.

I'll try the codec solution and see if that works, which version is the most recent for Windows 7, I don't want to find out that i've installed something that makes it worse.

I am considering a full reinstall of everything, but that's only when I have no other choice.

Additional: The codec update only make YouTube more stable, games on the other hand...it had a temporary effect (either that or it varies depending on the cooling fan).

Anyone know of a safe diagnostic tool for finding out exactly what the problem is? At least to test if it IS the graphics card as I don't want to buy a new graphics card, if it does nothing at all to solve this problem.

Last edited by MentisVenator: 03-14-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Situation Update
Old 03-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Eetami

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentisVenator View Post
Anyone know of a safe diagnostic tool for finding out exactly what the problem is? At least to test if it IS the graphics card as I don't want to buy a new graphics card, if it does nothing at all to solve this problem.
PC Wizard has proven to be resourceful and reliable, and it's free. Although this program is only for HARDWARE diagnostics.
Eetami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
MentisVenator

It turned out to be something to do with Windows, I backed up any files that I didn't want wiped to a seperate hard drive, reinstalled Windows and then reinstalled the games. They work perfectly.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips