Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
GDawgTUK

Thumbs up Allow games to be sorted by System Requirements

This would be incredibly helpful to me as I have a wide variety of computers in my house. Just a few examples include:

- 1.6ghz dual core E-350 Fusion APU
- 1.6ghz ATOM netbook with GMA 3000 series
- 1.6ghz ATOM with Nvidia Ion netbook
- 2.4ghz quad A8 fusion laptop

etc, etc.

This would allow me to easily see what games in my library would be suitable for whatever computer I'm currently on by looking at the top of my list and working my way down.

Thanks for your time.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
cdlink

This is highly unlikely, there's so much variation in hardware it'd be near-impossible to do.
cdlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Jezz1226

You could always just sort them yourself via categories, granted its a lot of legwork up front, but as cdlink says it seems fairly unlikely that Steam will institute it so this may be your only option
Jezz1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Jagged Tooth

It's very difficult to compare hardware like that. You can't accurately compare processor speeds across different CPU or GPU architectures let alone different vendors. RAM also has several different speeds, 4 different timings, single/dual/triple channel, DDR/DDR2/DDR3. The number of combinations would be in the billions.
Jagged Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
GDawgTUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged Tooth View Post
It's very difficult to compare hardware like that. You can't accurately compare processor speeds across different CPU or GPU architectures let alone different vendors. RAM also has several different speeds, 4 different timings, single/dual/triple channel, DDR/DDR2/DDR3. The number of combinations would be in the billions.
Your saying that someone couldn't make a chart on the background for example:

WORST TO BEST
E-350
E-450
A8-3500m 1.5ghz quad
Athlon II X4 620 Procoessor 2.60ghz
Phenom II x6 3.2ghz

etc etc. Then the list could just compare itself to the minimum and recommended requirements of a game, and sort the list accordingly. They already have the means to acquire the computer specs that we use, so why not have it scan the Videocard, Ram and Processor and compare it to our games to sort the list. Honestly, if you don't over think it, then it doesn't have to be an impossible concept.
GDawgTUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
slovenian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDawgTUK View Post
Your saying that someone couldn't make a chart on the background for example:

WORST TO BEST
E-350
E-450
A8-3500m 1.5ghz quad
Athlon II X4 620 Procoessor 2.60ghz
Phenom II x6 3.2ghz

etc etc. Then the list could just compare itself to the minimum and recommended requirements of a game, and sort the list accordingly. They already have the means to acquire the computer specs that we use, so why not have it scan the Videocard, Ram and Processor and compare it to our games to sort the list. Honestly, if you don't over think it, then it doesn't have to be an impossible concept.
Maybe if it just compared again minimum required specs and sorted by "playable" and "not-playable" (like systemrequirementslab.com). But organizing a list like that as Jagged Tooth has stated, is lots of work and near impossible because of the all different combinations. I don't really see this being used anyways, most people only use 1 gaming computer.
slovenian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Finaldeath

While i don't really see the point of having this added, they could just use the windows system score for this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-Windows-Vista
Finaldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
MisterJ

if I remember steam has made a hardware test of every steam accounts in the past years. so steam could just use your test result and try to built a suggestion list of games your system could run.
MisterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
zodaex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finaldeath View Post
While i don't really see the point of having this added, they could just use the windows system score for this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-Windows-Vista
LOL!!!
zodaex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
DeadStawker

However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodaex View Post
LOL!!!
I know the reason for that LOL, but, Steam could use an external source for giving a performance/requirements rating to games. It could be like "This game's requirements rate level 2 in [X] Software/webpage".

Also, making as little as a "Low", "Medium", or "High" system requirements would be enough help for users who might need it.

Also, as an incentive for Steam ($$$), we all know that GOOD gaming PC's cost a fortune for most of the population. If Steam promotes certain games or even creates a full category for "light" games, people with no Gaming PCs and no intention to buy one, could get interested in buying games their 'casual' PC could handle well.
DeadStawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
The problem is, two different games with the same listed minimum reqs may have very different play-ability with the same hardware.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas