Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire

Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
iGamr

L.A. Noire Hangs on First Loading Screen

The game keeps freezing after the intro sequence that shows the Rockstar and Team Bondi logos... there seems to be a loading icon on the bottom-right (the usual two-arrows-spinning-in-a-circle thing), but it isn't moving at all. Please help!

(Note: I have set all graphical settings to minimum.)
Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
chalkman

Its a long and complicated issue with netframe work 3.5, for sure a issue with certain OS configurations. There are tons of threads on this, most could play the game by disabling the UAC, and all AV (shields etc) and running Steam as admin, and also by running the game directly from the folder (program files/steam/steamapps/common/la noire/la noire.exe) as admin.

I have also read that having a "space" in the la noire folder can cause it (the constant loading)

I was able to play the game by doing the above and moving "ypatcher.exe" out of the directory, than alt-tabbing and putting it back before it starts to sync.

There is a faq at rockstar forums addressing this, while it worked for some ppl it didn't work for all.
chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
iGamr

I've tried every solution I can find... I just can't get the game to work. It doesn't WANT to work. ;_;
iGamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Rabbiddog1

Are you logging into Social Club with your profile or the default generic profile? The game seems to be like games that use GFWL, they get wiggy if you're not logged in.
Rabbiddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
iGamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbiddog1 View Post
Are you logging into Social Club with your profile or the default generic profile? The game seems to be like games that use GFWL, they get wiggy if you're not logged in.
I never got that far; it locks up when the little refresh-type icon thing appears in the bottom right... right after the Bondi Logo message.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Rabbiddog1

The social club interface doesn't come up automatically. Hit the Home button when it's at that point and see if the Social Club menu pops up. If so, try logging into it and see if it gets further.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
iGamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbiddog1 View Post
The social club interface doesn't come up automatically. Hit the Home button when it's at that point and see if the Social Club menu pops up. If so, try logging into it and see if it gets further.
Nothing pops up at all. The game freezes and I have to alt-tab out to end the process. I read up on it, and it looks like one of the above posters was correct about it being a .Net Framework issue... but no matter how hard I try, no matter how many solutions I attempt, it just WON'T WORK. I'm quite frankly DISGUSTED that an issue this huge hasn't been addressed and dealt with by now, especially considering this is supposed to be a pretty big-name title. I just wanted to play L.A. Noire, but that didn't happen. Instead, I spent almost the entirety of today trying to get the freaking thing working... unsuccessfully.

Rockstar, get your crap together. Seriously.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
awsometeeth

uninstall and delete any version of social club you have then fresh install the version in the games folder
awsometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
iGamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsometeeth View Post
uninstall and delete any version of social club you have then fresh install the version in the games folder
I tried doing a fresh install of the in-game version from the folders. (I didn't have any version of that program on my PC EVER.)

Also, again, I found the bug and cause... the fix just didn't work. Here's the bug, though: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/L.A._Noire#Game_Freezes
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
chalkman

Can u try deleting netframe work 4.0 if it exists? Try the cleaner and install 3.5 again. Then verify cache, steam should do its little net framework install thingy again - let it finish all the way. Then run the game as admin directly thru the folder.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
Rabbiddog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGamr View Post
Nothing pops up at all. The game freezes and I have to alt-tab out to end the process. I read up on it, and it looks like one of the above posters was correct about it being a .Net Framework issue... but no matter how hard I try, no matter how many solutions I attempt, it just WON'T WORK. I'm quite frankly DISGUSTED that an issue this huge hasn't been addressed and dealt with by now, especially considering this is supposed to be a pretty big-name title. I just wanted to play L.A. Noire, but that didn't happen. Instead, I spent almost the entirety of today trying to get the freaking thing working... unsuccessfully.

Rockstar, get your crap together. Seriously.
I understand your frustration (believe me, I most certainly do), however keep in mind this is a console port. This is yet another example of the inherent downside (for the gamer at least) of porting games from console to PC instead of just making a dedicated PC version.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #12
Rabbiddog1

I will also add that I have serious issues with any game developer who's workaround for issues such as these involve turning off UAC and AV to get the game to run. When you have to start disabling basic security features and applications to get a game to run then that is just scary and wrong.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
chalkman

Windows defaults to special permissions in C:\program files (x86) which just happens to be where steam saves it's games. Really no choice of the developer other than to not use steam. You have to have your permissions set up correctly, and you have may have to have admin privileges. Besides, UAC and DEP are just a pain in the a$$ anyway if you ask me. Add to that many AV programs have ridiculously protective resident shields that can even stop the most harmless firewall traffic when disabled. Bullguard, AVG being chief among them. I couldn't even connect to Itunes until Bullguard was completely uninstalled.

Last edited by chalkman: 03-15-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
Rabbiddog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkman View Post
Windows defaults to special permissions in C:\program files (x86) which just happens to be where steam saves it's games. Really no choice of the developer other than to not use steam. You have to have your permissions set up correctly, and you have may have to have admin privileges. Besides, UAC and DEP are just a pain in the a$$ anyway if you ask me. Add to that many AV programs have ridiculously protective resident shields that can even stop the most harmless firewall traffic when disabled. Bullguard, AVG being chief among them. I couldn't even connect to Itunes until Bullguard was completely uninstalled.
Be that as it may. I have NEVER had to disable UAC or AV to get a game to run and don't intend to start. Again, IMHO, to do so is just asking for trouble. Also, and I reiterate, this is yet another example of the issues with porting. I only run into these issues with games that have been ported from console. Most dedicated PC games take the things you mentioned into account.

Last edited by Rabbiddog1: 03-15-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
chalkman

Yea its fine to feel that way, i don't have any issues with ppl deciding what is best for them.

Seems that more and more games DRM are conflicting with these things (ubisoft is a great example, Uplay can be a nightmare) that's why i like games that are more or less DRM free.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire