Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 03-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
MisterTBD

Red face Skyrim DLC Re-Download Issues

I originally downloaded the Skyrim DLC HD model pack via Steam. I deleted the DLC content from the data folder as it was 3gb and too large for my drive at the time. Since the files were hard deleted Steam assumed the DLC was still there, but it was not. I went to download the DLC again after freeing up disk space, but there is no way to re-download removed DLC content once hard deleted. The only method is to uninstall Skyrim completely, which causes Steam to recognize that the DLC along with Skyrim are no longer installed.

Any word on when this will be addressed?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Dragoon.x

I assume you mean the free High Resolution Texture Pack DLC, as there is no HD model DLC.

Try verify integrity of game cache if you haven't done already.

Quote:
Verify integrity of game cache
  1. Load Steam
  2. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
  3. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
  4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
  5. Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.
Also the proper method to uninstall mods (which includes the HD texture pack) is to start the Skyrim Launcher and click on Data Files. Select the mods you want to remove and click on Delete Selected. In your case that would have been HighResTexturePack01.esp and HighResTexturPack02.esp

Hope this helps.
Dragoon.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Thick8

Hmm, nothing like telling someone to close the barn door after the cows are gone.
This is just a guess so it may not work. Try going to your user folder. example: C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Skyrim
there are 3 text files there. remove the reference to the HighResTexturePack01.esp and HighResTexturePack02.esp files. save and exit.
It might not be a bad idea to run your registry cleaner too.
Hope this helps
John
Thick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
MisterTBD

Thank you for the suggestions!

And yes I did mean the free High Resolution Texture Pack DLC

Last edited by MisterTBD: 03-14-2012 at 07:55 PM.
MisterTBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Breton Warrior

TBH I would do both, remove the reference as Thick8 (nice name BTW) said so Steam cannot see it as an installed DLC or Mod, then do the Verify and as Steam itself does know you have already had the DLC it should see that it is missing and download it to you again.

If you do get it back, do a copy of it somewhere to save downloading it again.
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
MisterTBD

Worked like a charm, steam began re-downloading the files.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Zebideedee

Banned
Dammit, after reading thread title I thought Bethesda had released DLC. Guess it's just EA in my head!
Zebideedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Thick8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebideedee View Post
Dammit, after reading thread title I thought Bethesda had released DLC. Guess it's just EA in my head!
They did. It's a highres pack.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Thick8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTBD View Post
Worked like a charm, steam began re-downloading the files.
YEA for you... This fix should be a sticky or something.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
bobczes

I wonder if using a restore point from the backup and recovery program of the OS from before the deletion occurred might also recover the files?
bobczes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Thick8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobczes View Post
I wonder if using a restore point from the backup and recovery program of the OS from before the deletion occurred might also recover the files?
I don't think a recovery would delete or change those txt files. which it would seem is where Skyrim is looking for the installed mods list.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
waltc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobczes View Post
Assuming you have your Steam games installed on a partition separate from your C:\ drive, as I do...(I have mine installed to a RAID 0 partition)...

Yes, it would---BUT...make sure you have system restore turned on for the drive, and that your settings for system restore are set to "system and files" (something like that), and make sure when you do the restore to select the drive you wish to restore so that it shows up along with the C:\ drive on the restore panel prior to restore.

If you just have one giant C:\ drive (highly inadvisable), though, then make sure you have the "settings and files" option checked otherwise it will only restore your OS settings but the files--including the game files-- on the drive will remain unaffected by the restore.
waltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
MisterTBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thick8 View Post
YEA for you... This fix should be a sticky or something.
I agree. There really should be a right click menu on this section which allows you to re-download the content. The solution is too convoluted for the average user to troubleshoot.

Similar DLC in other games allows you to preform such a function.

Last edited by MisterTBD: 03-15-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
XeroNecross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thick8 View Post
Hmm, nothing like telling someone to close the barn door after the cows are gone.
This is just a guess so it may not work. Try going to your user folder. example: C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Skyrim
there are 3 text files there. remove the reference to the HighResTexturePack01.esp and HighResTexturePack02.esp files. save and exit.
It might not be a bad idea to run your registry cleaner too.
Hope this helps
John
Yeah I did and the HDtxtDLC was not in there :/
XeroNecross is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V