Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wizorb

Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Level12Boss

unless you love retro, Wizorb is boring

Wizorb has all the ingredients of a fun diversion but the result seems half baked.

The core gameplay is slow and dull. Controlling the ricochet and momentum of the ball is imprecise. And the RPG elements are nifty, but don't really do much to expand the gameplay. They are merely a sort of quest overlay that's intended to give the game some point, since there's no depth to the arcade mechanics themselves.

At a minimum I expected a wide range of spells, fast-paced gameplay, lots of combos and bonuses, and interesting level design.

I guess for $2.50 I expected too much.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
jfmajor

Hey Level12Boss,
I'm really sorry you feel this way.
I promise you the later levels get way more hectic. Or you can even try playing on hard mode.
jfmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
lysiu

Boring? I too feel it should have more rpg elements, exspierience points, spell upgrades etc, but its fun as an arkanoid game.
lysiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
PolarisOrbit

I kind of agree with this review, although the word choice could have been a bit better. It's not really boring, nor is it slow. But you do need to be a fan of the retro appeal for this game to really "work."

It doesn't seem to develop much as you progress. I also don't like the way they chunked the levels into groups of 12, but that is part of the retro style, I guess. It makes the game feel discouraging to play because at the end of the 12 levels you either succeed and progress to the next chunk, or you fail and have to start all over again as if you hadn't even been playing the game for the past hour. That's a lot of pressure to do your best at all times and World 2 I felt more stress than fun so I haven't tried World 3 beyond just seeing what the new enemy was. I'll probably pick it up again later if I can change my mindset, but the game is giving me reasons to quit, and that's never a good thing. That all falls under the retro umbrella, which is why I think the TC has a point.
PolarisOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Level12Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmajor View Post
Hey Level12Boss,
I'm really sorry you feel this way.
I promise you the later levels get way more hectic. Or you can even try playing on hard mode.
Don't be sorry -- you made the game you wanted. And as I said, for the retro-nauts among us, I'm sure Wizorb will be perfectly delightful. The artwork in particular is pixel-perfect, right down to that madman who cackles every time I complete a level.

But these days, my Arkanoid / Breakout game had better layer on the fun. I like proper physics-based gameplay, chain attacks, heaps of cascading interacting elements, multi-layered levels, and wacked-out specials. I didn't see a whole lot of that in Wizorb.

Someone said Wizorb gets more interesting as you go along. Maybe that's true! It is, however, a well-worn tenet of contemporary game design* that you DON'T save your best stuff for last. Hook me with your best stuff first! Then let me come to appreciate the nuances later.

*Again, this goes to that retro thing. Older games (and many contemporary games) will save their "best for last", which has in my mind and experience been more or less debunked as a stupid idea. It rewards only your most dedicated players who work their way to the end. This in turn ignores most of the gamers who bought the game but will never finish it or even get further than half-way through.
Level12Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level12Boss View Post
*Again, this goes to that retro thing. Older games (and many contemporary games) will save their "best for last", which has in my mind and experience been more or less debunked as a stupid idea.
I think it's exactely the right thing to do.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
Nisseman

Except older fps games.
Most of the time the first levels or levels in demo/shareware version where the best and later one where not as good.
Nisseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Level12Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.meinem.turm. View Post
I think it's exactely the right thing to do.
Not. This approach somewhat mindlessly adopts the basic narrative concept and convention from books and movies that you gradually work your way up to the thundering crescendo of awesomeness.

But when you are talking about a game, particularly in the age of $3 titles and digital downloads, gamers are looking for instant wonderment. If you can't hook them early and often -- which means turning out some of your best ideas right off the top -- you will lose their attention and so lose them as a customer.

And in the age of $3 games, what you are thereby doing is effectively killing your franchise since you need repeat business (in the form of expansion packs, DLC, sequels, spin-offs, etc.) to really make decent money.

So for all I know, Wizorb is killer fun in level 4-12. But I'm never gonna spend the hours to get there because those hours are, in my view of playing 1-1 through 1-12, a total slog. Hours of time I can quite literally spend more amusingly on other games.

And so here we are. I've spent more time discussing game design theory in the Wizorb forum than actually playing Wizorb.
Level12Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
PentagonBlack

Play on hard. It seems to only really change the starting speed and rate at which the ball speeds up, but it makes a big difference. Things can get really hectic in just the first stage.
PentagonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
IamSooty

Darn just purchased this. Unfortunate I agree with Level12Boss. It was a little disappointing to me even for its very low price of entry.

The game felt really bare-bones (I've played through the first two worlds on hard).
- Music on a short loop
- Same enemies for one entire world, and they don't even do much - just move around randomly
- Barely anything to do throughout the stages other than bounce blocks and hope they hit your target, because the magic you can use is also heavily limited
- Rebuilding the town barely does anything

I decided to give up on going any further because it didn't seem like there was going to be more interesting stuff coming up.
IamSooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
PolarisOrbit

One thing I've heard from a lot of different people is that the magic supply in this game is too limited. This minimizes the significance of one of the most unique aspects of the game, and was probably a bad design decision.

Rebalancing the game in that regard would probably be an easy adjustment that would make a lot of people happy
PolarisOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
Gaspard

I played the game for almost 10 hours and love it.
I'd like to see more interaction with the town people in a sequel, it's sad that they are more or less useless right now. There's only one shop and the other houses do nothing.
Would be cool if the villagers would give you random side quests or item trade quests where you have to look for objects within the levels.
Gaspard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
xandramas

retro or not, the game is lacking too many elements.
xandramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
s20mike

Curse you PC Gamer, for your overly enthusiastic and misleading review!
s20mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Hauzer

It's $3 and worth every penny... Stop complaining. The price of a beer or coffee(or half the cost, a 3rd the cost, twice the cost... depending on where you live). Maybe if it does well enough we will see a sequel with more RPG elements or whatever else people ask for, for a bit more cash
Hauzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wizorb