Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 03-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
tim3lost

Skyrim/Update ESMs not in Data Files list

Skyrim CTDs seconds after the loading screen appears. I have 511 hours played according to Steam. Further investigation shows that neither the Skyrim nor the Update ESMs are in the Data Files list and as far as I can tell all mods I have installed ( ESPs, BSAs, ESMs ) are there. Re-installed Skyrim and installed mods with the same results ( NO Skyrim/Update ESMs in the Data Files list ). Both ESMs are in the \Data directory.

With all this I have found no way to get them to show up in the Data Files list; as without them there the game will not run.

Any help will be appreciated
TL

Last edited by tim3lost: 03-15-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Breton Warrior

The Skyrim.ESM's not showing in the Data Files at all is quite normal, Its been like that since Beth added the facility to arrange your Mods. The fact is the Skyrim ones 'must' be first so why add them into the list? I suppose their theory would be in you cannot see it you cannot move it? sort of makes sense.

As to your CTD, the loading screen, I assume that means when you first launch the game itself? or when trying to load a save? If its when starting the 'game' that may well be an INI issue, try removing the two INI from My Games-Skyrim and then run verify cache through Steam. That will replace them with default ones, BTW re-installing Skyrim can still leave INI tweaks in those two if there are not removed.

If it is a 'save' thats crashing that is most likely a mod issues, either a clash with a new mod added, something has been removed (mod) and the save will not load, or the saves have just become corrupted which is something beth games do get. Try turning off all Mods, run the verify to replace the INI and then see if you can start a brand new character,if the game starts then maybe try an old save and see what happens?

Good Luck, BW
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Haldur

UPDATE.ESM should doesn't need to be checked for it to load automatically, but it shouldn't be missing entirely from the data file list.

Have you tried to check your steam cache? Have you been playing with the CK and accidentally edited either SKYRIM.ESM or UPDATE.ESM? I have to leave the house now, so I can't research this for you, but I do know that there is a text file somewhere that stores the data file list, and maybe that got corrupted? Just a guess.
Haldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
tim3lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton Warrior View Post
The Skyrim.ESM's not showing in the Data Files at all is quite normal, Its been like that since Beth added the facility to arrange your Mods. The fact is the Skyrim ones 'must' be first so why add them into the list? I suppose their theory would be in you cannot see it you cannot move it? sort of makes sense.

As to your CTD, the loading screen, I assume that means when you first launch the game itself? or when trying to load a save? If its when starting the 'game' that may well be an INI issue, try removing the two INI from My Games-Skyrim and then run verify cache through Steam. That will replace them with default ones, BTW re-installing Skyrim can still leave INI tweaks in those two if there are not removed.

If it is a 'save' thats crashing that is most likely a mod issues, either a clash with a new mod added, something has been removed (mod) and the save will not load, or the saves have just become corrupted which is something beth games do get. Try turning off all Mods, run the verify to replace the INI and then see if you can start a brand new character,if the game starts then maybe try an old save and see what happens?

Good Luck, BW
BW

Not a save issue - trying to start a new game.

Deleted the two INI files and did a verify cache, but they weren't recreated.
Do you know were the txt file is located that lists all mods?

EDIT:
Also there was a Missing Master missing in the Skyrim INI, but as far as I know none of the mods I installed require another mod as a master.
Thanks, TL

Last edited by tim3lost: 03-15-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: additional info added
tim3lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
tim3lost

This is a follow up on my CTD issues.
1. Further testing yesterday I unchecked all mods in the Data Files area - Result game will launch and I could have started a new game if I wished to ( Didn't Exited game ).
2. Then I enabled the one ESM mod with all other ESPs still unchecked - Result game will launch and I could have started a new game if I wished to ( Didn't Exited game ).
3. Left the ESM checked and checked one ESP left all others unchecked - Result game CTDs with the following message in the Skyrim.INI:

[GeneralWarnings]
SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

Cannot find the Warnings.txt file it mentions.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
GenericUserSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton Warrior View Post

As to your CTD, the loading screen, I assume that means when you first launch the game itself? or when trying to load a save? If its when starting the 'game' that may well be an INI issue, try removing the two INI from My Games-Skyrim and then run verify cache through Steam. That will replace them with default ones, BTW re-installing Skyrim can still leave INI tweaks in those two if there are not removed BW
Hi, I'm having CTD problems too. Where are the INI files?
GenericUserSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
tim3lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericUserSam View Post
Hi, I'm having CTD problems too. Where are the INI files?
They are in the My Documents\My Games\Skyrim

I also tried what BW said and neither of the INIs were recreated.

Regards,
TL
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
GenericUserSam

dammit, still didn't work. Do you have Better Horses? as in, the mod?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
tim3lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericUserSam View Post
dammit, still didn't work. Do you have Better Horses? as in, the mod?
No don't have Better Horses. What didn't work - no recreation of the INI files?

TL
Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
GenericUserSam

indeed. As always, it downloads a 50 byte file and it either hangs or ctds after the two drums.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
GenericUserSam

Never mind, I deleted all the files besides steamapps and steam.exe and now it works.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V