Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Legendary

Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
cortexe

Is the game worth it?

At the moment i'm on a tight budget since we are moving but I've got alot of free time on my hands now since the house is clean up and stuff but I'll spare the details and head to the point.

Got a good laptop here and a weekend of nothing to do, is this game worth it, is the multiplayer still alive and does the single player have a good story and more than 2 hours game time (COD has potential with singleplayer but it's so short and I REALLY hate short singleplayer campaigns)

Thanks in advanced
Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Totalitator

All I can tell you is that I think it's a great experience. I think the graphics look great and the atmosphere is really unique. Mythical creatures wreaking havoc everywhere on such an epic scale. Indeed it is a "rail shooter" because your path is predetermined for you but I find the theme and atmosphere of it to be thrilling and unique. Duke Nukem was a rail shooter too and everyone liked that one, as was Doom, etc. This one though is a little more restrictive than even those or so it seems to me so far. I really love it, there's just nothing like it that I've seen before. I was trying to find something like Godzilla online to watch and then I decided to go back and try Legendary and was blown away by it. It was perfection for the experience I was looking for. It's not breaking any new ground in gameplay mechanics whatsoever but if watching a city earthquaking and shattering as the ground falls beneath your feet and lava springs forth, wyverns flying down through the skyscrapers and picking up cars and smashing them down, and all manner of mythical creatures popping up all over the place.. sounds fun to you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Think of it as a highly interactive movie and it's worth the $2.50 or whatever it goes on sale for, for sure.

I don't think you will find anyone on multiplayer ever. This game really seems to be about the experience of the story to me. This really isn't a multiplayer-focused game, this is an "epic" guided FPS special effects extravaganza. And when I say "the story" I mean the setting, because it isn't much of a story it's just a lot of amazing action and sights and sounds going on. I think if the theme, setting, story, atmosphere of it all doesn't hit your mood then it will just be an uninteresting shooter to you. You have to be in it for the specific scenery of its world and not for gameplay mechanics.

I can't say you'll like it, but I was dazzled but the epic scenario that played out before my eyes and ears. Again, not epic in a profound meaningful story sort of way, but in an incredible pure action what the hell is going on all around frantic apocalypse kind of way.
Totalitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Levi

The gameplay is kind of mediocre, the story is mediocre, but the setting is pretty epic.

I got about 6 hours out of the single player campaign.

It has one really annoying bug near the end of the game though...
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Whiteboy7698

Its a pretty good game. Turn up the res for some decent graphics and itl pass alot of your time.
Whiteboy7698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
ElfShotTheFood

On sale again for $1.66 US. It's worth it at that price. There are some pretty entertaining sequences in this game.

The single-player is short at around six hours and no one is playing online, but for the low price you'll get an evening or two's worth of enjoyment out of it.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
phkuxato

Another day, another stupid question. Do you seriously not understand the bright-green Metacritic score of 50/100 on the store page? A bad game is still a bad game for any price.
phkuxato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
h4r7y

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkuxato View Post
Another day, another stupid question. Do you seriously not understand the bright-green Metacritic score of 50/100 on the store page?
games do change you know, they do get updated and patched making them entirely different, ie, better than when the original lot of reviews were done...
h4r7y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Drutten

Peoples opinions is also good to hear not just the metacritic score, chill dude
Drutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
flidd

I got bored of this one and uninstalled before I finished it. Mediocre is a good word to describe it, and the voice acting is dire!
flidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
graspee

Quote:
Another day, another stupid question. Do you seriously not understand the bright-green Metacritic score of 50/100 on the store page? A bad game is still a bad game for any price.

The low prices that games get reduced to can entirelyy change whether it is worth buying or not.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
daicon

Quote:
What's foolish is to trust Metacritic scores..

The game is pretty fun, it's a 6 hour romp and as for the setting well, I've never played anything quite like it.
daicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
ponyboy82

As for metacritic, there's also a big difference between reviews by "professional" critics vs reviews by "real people". I don't really game a lot these days, so I don't really care if game X is too similar to game Y and doesn't push the boundaries of the genre. I just want a fun gaming experience.
ponyboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
MasterCrumble

I just bought it! I'm kind of surprised that it's 8 gb. It seems like it will have some pretty set pieces and entertaining creatures to fight. I intend to enjoy thoroughly! Unless it's buggy and just plain dull.

The developers of this game also made Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, which I havent played, but it got some pretty nasty reviews.
MasterCrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
ponyboy82

To follow up, i'm in for 1... I remember watching this game when it first came out and thought it was such a cool concept, so it's worth $1.69 enough just for that.
ponyboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
Drutten

Bought it as well, looks like a couple of hours fun, good or not 1.69€ is nothing for a game.
Drutten is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Legendary