Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire

Old 03-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
G0n

Thumbs down Rockstar, this PC port is a shame

I'm an aficionado of all Rockstar Games, I played L.A. Noire on Xbox 360 before, no problem.

What is that PC version, everything is wrong. I mean I can play Skyrim smoothly with my crossfire (!!!) configuration and high settings.

But playing that game on PC is impossible ???

I put it to 1024x768x32, same problem, it's like I was playing gta3 on my pentium 2 10 years ago. Drive the car, 1 frame per seconds.

My Rockstar social club ID is "azerty", you can check on your DB I'm one of the first who have done GTA IV for PC.

You should hire some good developers next time, not just thinking of the console market.
As a developer, damn, is that hard to port an XNA project from xbox to .net 2.0 windows version ?
I know the garbage collector can put you in troubles but you can import your own DLL. What's wrong with you ? It seems you just copy/pasta all the project from XNA/Xbox to Windows PE without checking anything.

Gta3 was what made me into IT buisness. L.A. Noire made it bitter.

Rockstars, you killed me.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
G0n

I saw this "-str -npd" trick in the options command line.

That's a shame to release a game like that. I would be dismiss for less than that.

Should check your release process.
G0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
crossdx

I also had Crossfire problems in the beginning. Updated to Catalyst 12.2 and the 12.2 CAP1 profiles and run in DX11 solved all the framerate issues for me.
crossdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
G0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossdx View Post
I also had Crossfire problems in the beginning. Updated to Catalyst 12.2 and the 12.2 CAP1 profiles and run in DX11 solved all the framerate issues for me.
Thank to you to try helping.
G0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Aura891

Console version of the game was not made by Rockstar and it was only ported over to PC from rockstar, aka, they took a game they were not familiar with and made it work for PC

Personally, aside from the 30fps limit, i am having absolutely no problems with the game
Aura891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
FF.GHoST61

Its similiar to saint row 2
FF.GHoST61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
feeder

i run this game at 1080p and almost all settings to quality, 2x anti, and 4x ana on my laptop! this gives close to constant 30 fps.
feeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeder View Post
i run this game at 1080p and almost all settings to quality, 2x anti, and 4x ana on my laptop! this gives close to constant 30 fps.
^Same here.

For those people who expect to run todays games on low-end and even some lower ranged, mid-level GPUs and/or CPUs. Get real!
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Shirdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
^Same here.

For those people who expect to run todays games on low-end and even some lower ranged, mid-level GPUs and/or CPUs. Get real!
I lol'd. You just can't be serious!
Shirdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Necksus

I didn't think every gamer in the world needed a shiny quad-core or a two-GPU setup to play current-gen games... I got a dual core intel on my laptop and I run L.A. Noire okay, but it is a rough slog sometimes when it has been going for a while. I obviously have to have some settings turned way down for any playability, but once I sacrifice a little quality I do see performance.
Necksus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
timeformime

Guys, keep in mind this is the RAGE engine again, and nothing new if you ever played GTA IV or Episodes for LC on PC. Both were near impossible to play with a dual core, and this is even more graphically intense.

But I have to say, it's one of the prettiest games I've ever played, easily better than the GTA IV and Episodes ports - and without fraps I never even noticed the 30fps limit, maybe because it's so much like a movie already that it almost seems appropriate. Actually quite a good port, because I can't see the console versions having anything close to these graphics, and I've had no problems at all so far.

Edit: I've got a great graphics card but don't want to bother with Crossfire, so I've probably slipped under the radar of most high-performance pc's compatibility issues. The OP is in good company with a lot of Crossfire / SLI users, because a setup like that is both a blessing and a curse.

Last edited by timeformime: 03-24-2012 at 05:47 PM.
timeformime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Aura891

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeformime View Post
Guys, keep in mind this is the RAGE engine again,
No...it is not

Just because it's a sort-of free roaming game published by rockstar doesn't mean that it'd be the rage engine

the game was not developed by rockstar, rather by a company that used their own custom engine

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...l-a-noire.aspx

"Team Bondi's L.A. Noire is one of the most ambitious Rockstar titles to date, featuring a massive open world and a groundbreaking animation system. It's also one of the first Rockstar titles in some time that doesn't use Rockstar's RAGE engine, rather Team Bondi's proprietary engine. Today, we unveil a few more L.A. Noire screens that weren't featured in our cover story. The new images show cops preparing to storm a building, investigating a crime scene, and cruising the streets of 1940s Los Angeles, Check the L.A. Noire homepage for more extra content in the coming weeks. From what we've seen this is one of the most exciting upcoming games of 2010."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocksta...ed_Game_Engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Noire

Quote:
Both were near impossible to play with a dual core, and this is even more graphically intense.
I would also disagree with that, the facial animations are "decent" only because of the way they implemented them, all other graphics within the game look like a PS2 game with better texture resolution, but not decent for todays games, and slightly better physics

This guy that reviewed the PC version of the game put it exactly right at darkstation:

"I have been rather disappointed in the graphics of the PC version. Not to say L.A. Noire looks bad, it just doesn’t offer anything better looking than the Playstation or 360 versions. I saw a few objects popping in and out of the background on a couple occasions and the shadows seem to have a really pixilated quality even when playing on the highest graphics. I also felt like I was seeing a lot of color bloom in certain segments of the game that were kind of an eye sore."

Last edited by Aura891: 03-26-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necksus View Post
I didn't think every gamer in the world needed a shiny quad-core or a two-GPU setup to play current-gen games... I got a dual core intel on my laptop and I run L.A. Noire okay, but it is a rough slog sometimes when it has been going for a while. I obviously have to have some settings turned way down for any playability, but once I sacrifice a little quality I do see performance.
No u don't need a power-house to run this.

But running just about any game at decent speed these days on a dual-core is becoming increasing harder (like an older Core2Duo for example). As new games release, they require more horse-power, and usually the latest drivers. But yes it depends on the game itself. As not all games that release require the latest hardware.

By todays standards, if you have less than a quad-core 2.4Ghz in your desktop, forget about playing most DirectX/OpenGL games released after 2009 or so (course depends on your GPU as well). For laptops this can differ a bit. I'm using a laptop with Intel 2nd Gen (Sandy Bridge) i5 Dual-Core 1.4Ghz (Turbo 2.3Ghz) and GeForce GT 540M. Most games are very playable, like BF3 and LANoire.

But the overall issue with any laptop, regardless of it's specs, is that when comes to gaming, if it gets to a point where you can't update to the latest drivers that desktop users are able to use, then you're system will surely be outdated in no time, and be left behind for the most part. As newer games release, they usually will require the latest drivers, at least to run at optimal performance.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
timeformime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura891 View Post
No...it is not

Just because it's a sort-of free roaming game published by rockstar doesn't mean that it'd be the rage engine

the game was not developed by rockstar, rather by a company that used their own custom engine

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...l-a-noire.aspx

"Team Bondi's L.A. Noire is one of the most ambitious Rockstar titles to date, featuring a massive open world and a groundbreaking animation system. It's also one of the first Rockstar titles in some time that doesn't use Rockstar's RAGE engine, rather Team Bondi's proprietary engine. Today, we unveil a few more L.A. Noire screens that weren't featured in our cover story. The new images show cops preparing to storm a building, investigating a crime scene, and cruising the streets of 1940s Los Angeles, Check the L.A. Noire homepage for more extra content in the coming weeks. From what we've seen this is one of the most exciting upcoming games of 2010."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocksta...ed_Game_Engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Noire

I would also disagree with that, the facial animations are "decent" only because of the way they implemented them, all other graphics within the game look like a PS2 game with better texture resolution, but not decent for todays games, and slightly better physics

This guy that reviewed the PC version of the game put it exactly right at darkstation:

"I have been rather disappointed in the graphics of the PC version. Not to say L.A. Noire looks bad, it just doesn’t offer anything better looking than the Playstation or 360 versions. I saw a few objects popping in and out of the background on a couple occasions and the shadows seem to have a really pixilated quality even when playing on the highest graphics. I also felt like I was seeing a lot of color bloom in certain segments of the game that were kind of an eye sore."
Well count me corrected about the engine, it looks eerily similar. But RAGE or not, to me the graphics look gorgeous, and as long as you're not poking your nose flat into a wall (though some PC snobs always will anyway and judge a game based on texture resolution), the textures and visual design come together amazingly well. So I guess I just have to flat out disagree about there being no optimization for PC, I just don't see this being possible on my PS3. And it's dripping with 40's/50's detail like no other game I've played - but I'm hardly unbiased, because as a story setting and genre, post-war noire has to be one of my favorites. Raymond Chandler is one of my favorite authors. =)

I only dropped in and can't stay long - I'm going to go solve some more cases and watch the Mad Men premiere when I'm done.

Sometimes I think this game was made for me.
timeformime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #15
Aura891

Quote:
Well count me corrected about the engine, it looks eerily similar. But RAGE or not, to me the graphics look gorgeous, and as long as you're not poking your nose flat into a wall (though some PC snobs always will anyway and judge a game based on texture resolution), the textures and visual design come together amazingly well. So I guess I just have to flat out disagree about there being no optimization for PC, I just don't see this being possible on my PS3. And it's dripping with 40's/50's detail like no other game I've played - but I'm hardly unbiased, because as a story setting and genre, post-war noire has to be one of my favorites. Raymond Chandler is one of my favorite authors. =)

I only dropped in and can't stay long - I'm going to go solve some more cases and watch the Mad Men premiere when I'm done.

Sometimes I think this game was made for me.
Don't get me wrong, i really like the game, and SOME of the textures are very nice and make the game look gorgeous

My problem with the game, and is the reason i feel like i'm playing a PS2/Xbox game with better graphics, is the features of the engine/game

to list a few:
  • Texture pop-in is horrible, i had the game catching up to me so slow once that i hit an area where the textures were indistinguishable and then there were literally no textures, i saw through the entire map, it was see through, i had to just stop the car and wait, and wait, and wait, and then tada, it caught up to me, that only happened once, but texture/model/mesh/etc. popin is horrendous on this game regardless
  • car reactions and human reactions to the environment can be absolutely rediculous, i've hit small hills multiple times that either stop me in my tracks with either no damage or tons of damage, or launches me so far up in the air that it's impossible, no where inbetween
  • the "god rays" (aka sun rays) are cheaply done and instead of being a "ohh look at that, it's pretty" it's a "that's horrible how do i turn it off"
  • Shadows are horrible, blocky, and fuzzy
  • Reflections on the road from cars when it's rainy are basically just blocks of light generally
  • etc. etc. etc.
that's just some of the things off the top of my head that make me go "...i'm playing an old game with new textures"

and considering the game was in development for 5-6 years, i'm not surprised it feels like an old game with new textures

the only thing that this game has graphically that redeems itself is SOME of the textures, SOME of the environments, and the facial expressions (which resolution/texture wise is extremely lackluster aswell)

but that's just my two cents :P

and yes, i have the game @ all the highest quality settings possible, even DX11

Last edited by Aura891: 03-27-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire