Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
TheBombOCat

Is there a way to get Portal 2 Beta?

Hello guys. While reading the forums, I've found this thread, so I'm very interested in the Portal 2 Beta. How do I get it?

Seriously want the beta.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Solarmech

It's not out yet. Hopefully it will be out soon though. sm
Old 03-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Motanium

If you are a mapper, message me. If I like your stuff, you might get lucky
Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
TestSubject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motanium View Post
How is this related to Portal 2 Beta? o_o
Old 03-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
iSmile

I created the thread you linked us all to. Yeah, I don't know what happened to make that appear. It just came up, and then was removed from my list the next day.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
bakugov8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestSubject View Post
How is this related to Portal 2 Beta? o_o
Portal 2 beta = Some sorta ingame map editor thingy. Good mappers get to test it.

There's a steam group called Portal 2 beta, most popular mappers are in it and play an unnamed game that just says In-game. I think that's it.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Snyphurr

I find it very ironic that some of the best mappers are chosen to test something that they'd never need to use.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
mjvwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyphurr View Post
I find it very ironic that some of the best mappers are chosen to test something that they'd never need to use.
Well if it's in beta, they're obviously testing it for bugs. And I would assume the "best" mappers probably push the limits of mapping the game as far as possible to make a unique cool experience (that's what makes a good map for me anyway), which will probably give valve better results on what is broken/bugged and needs to be fixed rather than giving a beta to some people who are just going to make a very basic map that probably wouldn't have any bugs/problems.

So I can definitely understand why valve is doing this.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Motanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakugov8 View Post
Portal 2 beta = Some sorta ingame map editor thingy. Good mappers get to test it.

There's a steam group called Portal 2 beta, most popular mappers are in it and play an unnamed game that just says In-game. I think that's it.
That is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyphurr View Post
It's not ironic. It is mappers who make puzzles. Its a great tool, although hammer should still be used to add detail and stuff that you can't do with the beta.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Wonderglue

So Motanium, you are in the beta, right?
If so, can you control the lighting in the map editor? Just a basic question, or is it really really simplified to bits? Are there some advanced functions too?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
Odessa Cubbage

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motanium View Post
Now now, Motanium. You're not the gatekeeper.

We're steadily expanding the beta and are soliciting a variety of users. We started with a small set of existing Hammer mappers, are in the process of adding more, and will eventually expand to include non-Hammer users that we believe will be diligent in providing feedback and bug reports. This is as good a place as any to apply, I guess, so if you're interested just drop your name here and we'll periodically take some of your names to add to the queue. If you've published some good Portal 2 maps, feel free to link them here. Fair warning: beta key handouts are at our discretion and this isn't a formal first-come-first-serve queue, just a place to put your name in the hopper.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Wonderglue

If that's so, put my name in the queue. I just might get lucky with Portal 2 if i didn't with the CS:GO beta key handout.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
Motanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderglue View Post
So Motanium, you are in the beta, right?
If so, can you control the lighting in the map editor? Just a basic question, or is it really really simplified to bits? Are there some advanced functions too?
I dont think I can comment yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odessa Cubbage View Post
Now now, Motanium. You're not the gatekeeper...
Hehe, sorry
Old 03-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Wonderglue

Fair enough. I just hope it will include a lot of settings. If you can, just give more feedback on my behalf. Maybe they will listen.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
spongylover123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odessa Cubbage View Post
We're steadily expanding the beta and are soliciting a variety of users. We started with a small set of existing Hammer mappers, are in the process of adding more, and will eventually expand to include non-Hammer users that we believe will be diligent in providing feedback and bug reports. This is as good a place as any to apply, I guess, so if you're interested just drop your name here and we'll periodically take some of your names to add to the queue. If you've published some good Portal 2 maps, feel free to link them here. Fair warning: beta key handouts are at our discretion and this isn't a formal first-come-first-serve queue, just a place to put your name in the hopper.
Oh my god, a chance to test out the new puzzle creator?
Count me in.
I'm working on a mod (http://bit.ly/xOKuYR) , and I'm a very experienced mapper (http://bit.ly/wJwc96).
Steam Account: http://bit.ly/GzSN2L

Last edited by spongylover123: 03-19-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: forgot to add steam account
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2