Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 03-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Arparso

Run as administrator - really necessary?

Right now I can't properly play the game because it refuses to run without admin privileges. I'm using Windows 7, have UAC enabled and use two Windows user accounts: an admin account and my regular user account (which is not an administrator).

Now I can't start the game with my regular account, because the game keeps asking for admin privileges. If I grant it these privileges, the game will run within my admin account ... which isn't logged into Steam and thus the game quits with an error message.

Only ways around that are:

a) run Steam as administrator
b) make my regular user into an administrator

I refuse to do a), because it's a hassle to do, I'd have to transfer savegames and settings to my admin account first and it raises a bunch of other issues I'm not willing to bother with.

I also refuse to do b), because ... well, I actually decided to setup my Windows user accounts like this for good reasons and even according to official Microsoft guidelines. I'm not going to change that just for a "game".

So, is there any way around the administrator issue? What does it need administrator privileges for, anyway? It's a game, not some system maintenance tool or something... what's it doing that it needs administrator access?

Right now this purchase was a waste of money and I actually looked forward to playing this

Edit to include custom fix:
Because there doesn't seem to be any solution around, I created my own. The following small tool will remove the administrator requirement from the RailWorks.exe and enable the game to be played without administrator privileges. I didn't encounter any issues so far, but can't guarantee that it'll work for everyone in every possible configuration. A backup will be made just in case and you can also restore the original .exe if you let Steam verify your game cache:

http://arparso.de/files/NoAdmin.rar

Usage: extract the file somewhere and drag-and-drop your RailWorks.exe onto it. Alternatively you can open a command console (cmd.exe) and run "NoAdmin.exe <path-to-railworks.exe>".

The tool will modify the file and remove the administrator requirement. No other changes will be made.

Last edited by Arparso: 03-19-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
thisurlnotfound

MANY games on Steam require admin rights, not just Train Simulator. This has been the case for years. Your only choice is to run as admin or log into the admin account.

See: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1676210

Last edited by thisurlnotfound: 03-18-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Added link to previous discussion
thisurlnotfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
peterhayes

Aparso
I'm curious as to why you need UAC? I only ever install software that I have checked out. You have to remember that UAC was developed for large networks primarily to stop the plebs installing unapproved unauthorised extraneous software. Unfortunately, UAC, even in Win 7 is too intrusive for a lot of software and will just stop or severely slow down certain types of software including games.

For the average home user not installing dubious software or visiting those types of sites that might install malicious programs then UAC is of little importance.

There may be a work around if you still feel the need to use UAC and that involves a little app developed for Vista but works in Win 7 and it is called 'take ownership' and it should give you enough 'permissions' to run Ts2012 without being administrator.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/. You need to install this .reg file by opening up regedit and use the "file Import" option. Back up the registry first. You then "take ownership" only of the STEAM and all its sub-folders and you should be able to run TS2102 with few problems.

You could also create a new account (password protected) for yourself that gives admin rights and then in railworksproc32.exe set it always to run as administrator which would work only if you were logged into that account.

It also helps if STEAM/RW3 is NOt installed in the "Program Files" or the "Program Files (x86) folders but in its own separate folder eg I call mine C:\Railway Virtual and that removes a lot of the UAC hassles.

To me UAC creates a lot more problems than it actaully solves. Ask yourself this question: "When did UAC last stop unauthorised software installing on my PC"
I haven't run it in all the years since it was introduced because I'm careful as to what I install on my PC and I use good a/v software.
Good luck
PeterH
peterhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Necrosan

Peter hit the nail on the head.
Disable UAC, use an admin account or try his suggestion. (And if that fails, you're stuck with one of the other two suggestions.)

Personally I would just use the admin account and play it. It's much more fun playing the game than griping about why you can't.
Necrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisurlnotfound View Post
MANY games on Steam require admin rights, not just Train Simulator.
I have quite a few games on Steam, and RW/TS2012 is the only one that requires Steam to be run as an admin (some others need request admin when you start them, but Steam can be run as a normal user).

For me it is a bit inconvenient (i.e. if I want to run RW/TS2012 then I have to quit Steam and restart it as an admin), and I would be very pleased if they fix it, but there are lots of other things wrong with the game that I would probably rather they work on to be honest.
nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
thisurlnotfound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post
I have quite a few games on Steam, and RW/TS2012 is the only one that requires Steam to be run as an admin (some others need request admin when you start them, but Steam can be run as a normal user).

For me it is a bit inconvenient (i.e. if I want to run RW/TS2012 then I have to quit Steam and restart it as an admin), and I would be very pleased if they fix it, but there are lots of other things wrong with the game that I would probably rather they work on to be honest.
Notice that I said "MANY", not 'all' or 'most'.
thisurlnotfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisurlnotfound View Post
Notice that I said "MANY", not 'all' or 'most'.
I'm aware of what you said, and I haven't done a proper survey or anything, but of all (approx 200, but I probably haven't run the all) my games from Steam, only RW/TS2012 needs Steam to run as admin, so my experience is that no other games need this.

Maybe I've just been lucky in my choice of games, can you give some examples?

As I said, I don't actually think this is a serious problem, more just an annoyance, but this implication that it is a common issue with Steam games seems to me to be false.

EDIT: a quick Google search suggests LA Noire may have the same issue, but I still think 'many steam games' implies it is a relatively common issue, rather than the case for 1 or 2 games.

Last edited by nigel: 03-19-2012 at 04:01 AM.
nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
Arparso

It's not a UAC problem, guys... the problem lies in the separation of the admin account and the regular user account. If I were to disable UAC, I still couldn't start the game. In fact, without UAC I wouldn't be able to do ANY admin stuff from within my regular account.

It's not UAC, nor is it Vista/7-related. It also wouldn't work in XP, if I were to use a non-admin account there.

And my setup isn't even exotic - I'm just following the recommended best practices, which have been recommended at least since the Windows XP days.

The game also isn't installed in the protected "C:\Program Files" folder, so it is free to do any modfications to its own files as it sees fit. I'd still love to know what exactly it needs admin access for!? No other game of my 268 Steam titles and many more non-steam games needs this, including other simulators and older games from a time well before any of this admin stuff ever mattered...

@peterhayes:
Your suggested takeownership fix sadly didn't work. Would have surprised me, anyway, as my account already is the owner of the Steam folder and all of its subfolders and installed games.

Also you're talking about only running software you've "checked out" (how do you do that, btw?) and you can trust... right now I have more reasons to mistrust Railworks than I have to trust it. A game needing admin access just to play does look pretty dubious, doesn't it?

Of course I'm not paranoid - I don't believe Railworks is doing any malicous stuff. I'd just like to get any GOOD and REASONABLE explanation as to why I should go through the hassle of running it as administrator. Until then it just looks like sloppy programming to me...
Arparso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Ragnokak

The need for Railworks to have Admin level privileged is due to the .Net software and how it uses that as far as I know. So technically, it's not the game but the launcher that requires it.
Ragnokak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Arparso

.net doesn't need admin privileges to run, only certain operations require admin rights and a game or simulator shouldn't need to do any of that during normal gameplay.

After Railworks support also didn't offer any solution, I went to create my own. I created a small tool to remove the administrator requirement from the Railworks.exe. From a few minutes of testing it seems to work just fine and the game runs without any issues so far.

There's some cleanup to be done, but I might release the tool later on, if somebody else is also interested to run Railworks without admin privileges.

If you want more details:
The solution is quite simple - the Railworks.exe includes an embedded "Manifest" stating Railworks needs admin privileges. My solution works by extracting that manifest, removing that admin requirement and then overwrite the old manifest with my modified version. No other changes are made, no binary hex editing required or whatever... in fact, it'll probably also work with other apps requiring admin access by default, including future updates to Railworks.

Of course, IF the game actually tries to do something it needs admin access for, it'll now crash or behave strangely. E.g. when trying to write to certain portions of the hard disk or the registry. I don't know if Railworks ever does this and I haven't tested it thoroughly enough to guarantee anything.

Right now I'm just happy I can finally play the game without jumping through any hoops...
Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Class76

I have not long had w7 but have a lot of stuff installed already including RW but not once have I been asked to run anything as admin is it something you have to enable?
Class76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Arparso

Depends on how you've setup your computer. Your default user account will be an administrator and if you didn't disable UAC you'll be asked to confirm certain actions (like installing a new application) by clicking "Continue" when Windows asks for it.

If your user account is a standard user and not an administrator you'll be asked to enter the login password of your other administrator account instead of just clicking on a "Continue" button.

If UAC is disabled you won't be asked to confirm anything and it either works (you're administrator) or it doesn't (you're a standard user).

This only applies to anything needing admin rights, of course - standard users can play games and use most applications just fine. Except for Railworks, I guess...
Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Class76

I am just running it as it came out the box and have touched nothing on that side of things,although the I.T. guy set it up for me.I am getting to like w7 a lot more than xp.

Last edited by Class76: 03-19-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Class76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Arparso

Then that IT guy probably disabled UAC and set your standard user account up to be an administrator (like default). That'd be my guess, at least.

If anybody else shares my problem and is looking for a fix, then please look at my first post. I've edited it to include a link to my solution for the seemingly pointless administrator requirement.

If you don't want to scroll up, here's the direct link to the tool:
http://arparso.de/files/NoAdmin.rar
Old 03-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Necrosan

Thanks for providing a solution for others in your predicament, Arparso.
Necrosan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks