Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Graeldon

Question Connecting to steam using proxy internet

First of all, I'm not entirely sure I'm posting this in the right place, so if not, please move this thread =)

Okay, so I don't have hardware issues as such, but I was hoping someone would know a work around to allow me to open Steam.
The problem is that the internet I use is connected to via a proxy connection (Entered under lan settings in internet options), and also requires a username and password. Because of this, external programs, such as Steam, iTunes, or other game launchers won't run. This means I am currently limited to web browsers only.
A solution I had been told about was to install a proxy program, eg proxy switcher, or allproxy. However, neither of these work.

If anyone knows a way of allowing me to use this internet connection to run all programs, please let me know!
Thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Dark Light

Why are you wanting to do this in the first place, are you trying to get passed a network firewall?

I have done this before, can't remember what program I used but it wanted very slowly.
Dark Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
Call the network administrators and ask them. If this type of network setup is being used it's usually because you are at school, business or government facility.
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
CaspianRoach

You can get a program to point your other programs to use that proxy server. I think SocksCap can do that.
CaspianRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Satoru

Note that depending on how the proxy is set up you might not be able to get out anyway. Also getting steam to work over a proxy is 'fussy' at the best of times.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Dark Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
Note that depending on how the proxy is set up you might not be able to get out anyway. Also getting steam to work over a proxy is 'fussy' at the best of times.
You can get out of any network, find me one that will keep me in.
Dark Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Satoru

You can get out but I've tried a few programs and they seem to cause Steam to crash if you do certain things at least on XP
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Graeldon

Quote:
Call the network administrators and ask them. If this type of network setup is being used it's usually because you are at school, business or government facility.
yes, the internet is at a university, I'm accessing from a college.
I have tried contacting the admin and IT support already and they couldn't help, so I thought I'd try another avenue.

Quote:
You can get a program to point your other programs to use that proxy server. I think SocksCap can do that.
Thanks, I'll check it out and see if anything happens.
Graeldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
Graeldon

I tried out SocksCap, two versions of it, but had no luck with either.
The proxy address would enter correctly, and the test would be successful, but attempting to open a web browser would fail.
Yes, I removed the old proxy settings from internet options.

Edit: Just saw this thread has been moved, and there is a post I hadn't seen regarding schools/universities. Some interesting info there, but my uni wasn't on the list, so I've added the info. Guess I'm just out of luck!

Last edited by Graeldon: 03-22-2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Found new information
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
damiangerous

Steam doesn't support proxies, so it's a battle. SocksCap didn't work for me either. I eventually went with Proxifier. It's still fiddly and sometimes unreliable but it does generally work.
damiangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
Graeldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiangerous View Post
Steam doesn't support proxies, so it's a battle. SocksCap didn't work for me either. I eventually went with Proxifier. It's still fiddly and sometimes unreliable but it does generally work.
Thanks, Proxifier atleast let me open Steam, but it seems to have issues with connecting to servers. Proxifier is a step in the right direction as I can open Steam and download games, but it fails at connecting to servers, unless I'm not setting it up correctly.

I'll fiddle around and see if I can make magic happen, but a big thankyou damiangerous!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
coolguymohak

Ya. I got the same problem too..im behin a proxy firewall..i used proxycap so im able to download games..login into steam etc..but i just cant connect ..plz help
coolguymohak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
mightyxgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguymohak View Post
Ya. I got the same problem too..im behin a proxy firewall..i used proxycap so im able to download games..login into steam etc..but i just cant connect ..plz help
Well, I'm at school and i got the same problem. I also use Proxifier and I can onlu login to Steam and download updates, no connecting to game server. This is because in-game connection use UDP protocol while downloading games use TCP.

Well this describe TCP and UDP, http://www.skullbox.net/tcpudp.php

Now, you can NOT simply proxify UDP. I finally end up with using VPN instead.
I'd recommend you try OpenVPN since OpenVPN can connect to VPN server through proxy on port 443 which is HTTPS port and is normally not blocked.

It looks something like this:
http://openmaniak.com/openvpn/openvpn_nat.gif

Last edited by mightyxgm: 07-25-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Added HTML Link for the link.
mightyxgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
ChrisW

You should read the ISP agreement. These things are blocked for a reason and the act of bypassing this restriction can get you kicked off the network permanently. If you want to play games, you will need to purchase your own internet service instead of using the restricted service provided by your school.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
m-p{3}

You could try using a SOCKS proxifier with Steam, and use the -tcp command-line parameter at Steam launch to force the Steam client to only establish TCP connections.
m-p{3} is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips