Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
RodgerM

Question USA: DISHNetwork Hopper: anyone upgrading?

I wanted to upgrade since it's got the ability to deliver HD signals to the other TVs unlike the 722. But the new charges are stupid. As well as paying for the second TV instead of it being included in the price. New customers "can get it free" though with a commitment. Jackasses.

Things got a 2TB hard drive. Should be plenty of hours of recording even at 1080i or VOD 1080p ?

new prices: http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/produ...s_Hopper_3.jpg As you see it's $7 for another "joey".

http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/products/hopper/
Old 03-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
JupiterSWarrior

Nope. We have DirecTV and are not planning on switching. Problem I foresee with this is that how does the "Joey" connect to the "Hopper"? Wireless or cables? If cables, then there's the pathing from "Hopper" to "Joey" to consider. And, can each "Joey" run independently? So many questions. This is why I don't trust Multi-room DVRs.
JupiterSWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterSWarrior View Post
Nope. We have DirecTV and are not planning on switching. Problem I foresee with this is that how does the "Joey" connect to the "Hopper"? Wireless or cables? If cables, then there's the pathing from "Hopper" to "Joey" to consider. And, can each "Joey" run independently? So many questions. This is why I don't trust Multi-room DVRs.
I switched from DirecTV back to DISHNetwork after they offered me the 722 "Free" (with a 2 year contract to come back of course).

DISHNetwork doesn't broadcast my locals in HD though, that's the only complaint I have for now. That and the price to upgrade of $100 + 95 installer fee + new monthly charges.

What's to not like about whole house DVRs ? The 722 offers 2 outputs, one HD and one SD. We have a SD TV and a HDTV now , so it works out for us without upgrading to the Hopper for now.

extra note: DirecTV wanted $200 to upgrade me to HD is why I changed mostly.

Last edited by RodgerM: 03-21-2012 at 11:22 PM.
RodgerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
mr. duck

I do not know if I would pay for television that did not offer every channel in hd, especially the local. I have had the same satellite service since 1993 or so. I happen to think that it will happen for either tv providers but I was able to get the bill cut in half just by calling and threatening to quit. Went from paying ninety five dollars a month to fifty and that makes things a lot better.
mr. duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. duck View Post
I do not know if I would pay for television that did not offer every channel in hd, especially the local. I have had the same satellite service since 1993 or so. I happen to think that it will happen for either tv providers but I was able to get the bill cut in half just by calling and threatening to quit. Went from paying ninety five dollars a month to fifty and that makes things a lot better.
I'm with you on that. I'm tired of seeing David Letterman, Local News, 98% of NFL games that aren't on the NFL Network, Kitchen Nightmares, and Hell's Kitchen in SD . Oh and specially the Super Bowl. (well that does kind of fall under the NFL deal..).

My brother that lives in the city next to me is zoned out for more "Louisiana" style "locals" and can't get the locals here, even one city over. They say they are sold by "zones." But the main point is, most of his locals are in HD while I've been waiting over 2-3 years to get the locals here in HD.

The stations when I contacted them say it's totally up to DISHNetwork to start broadcasting them in HD. Saying that DirecTV has had them for years in HD.

Last edited by RodgerM: 03-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.
RodgerM is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic