Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
xDyniX

Parental Controls on Steam

Apparently Steam has locked 2 of my games, Bioshock and Prototype - I believe it's steam because whenever I enter my birthday in to view an M rated game, this error pops up "Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time.". I am 17 years of age, old enough to play M games and buy them as well - Why is Steam locking my games? These are the 2 errors that pop up with Bioshock and Prototype: "Parental Control Access denied. The game will not exit." for Bioshock. I've uninstalled them and reinstalled, still same error. I believe my Steam Account is restricted... but I'm 17. I am born on February of '95. Please help me, I want to play the games that I BOUGHT LEGALLY, and can play LEGALLY.

note: I can play Bioshock 2 and Mafia II, which I believe are M games. I cannot view M rated games, nor buy them....

Thanks alot
DyniX
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
notdeadyet01

Where do you live? Maybe they are blocked in your region
notdeadyet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Indeed. We need to know a little more, particularly where you live before we could give an appropriate answer.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
teknogeek12345

Clear your Steam cookies etc and re enter your age again.

I have not heard of Steam blocking PLAYING games before based on Age as it's not illegal to Play M Rated games regardless of age, nor is Steam obligated to block M rated content other than in the store.

Contact Steam Support for further assistance.
teknogeek12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
KamiofLunacy

Might be Windows Parental Controls or a thrid-party PC method. Check for those too.
KamiofLunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
xDyniX

Sorry for lack of info. I'm in Chicagoland Area, USA. I've contacted Steam Support twice 2 weeks ago, no reply.
PC Details:
*Windows 7 ultimate
*Quad Core AMD Phenom II
*AMD Radeon 6700
*8 MB RAM
*Admin on PC
*Only user of PC

Also: The games worked BEFORE, I've played them before, 2 hours on Bioshock, and 5 hours on Prototype, for some reason one day they stopped working.

@Tekno How do I clear my steam cookies?
Thanks alot!
DyniX

Last edited by xDyniX: 03-23-2012 at 12:39 PM.
xDyniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
xDyniX

bump. help please
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
MmmBacon

It's not Steam. I just tried to view an M rated game under a younger year and played Bioshock (1) just fine. You have some sort of parental controls turned on. Just use the Start menu and search for parental and access the Parental controls.

*As for clearing out your cookies, exit out of Steam and log back in.
MmmBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Freyar

Steam tends to block access to store pages for games rated M to people under the age of 18. It simply is the way it is.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Hmm, thinking about this, I tend to agree. MmmBacon and Freyar are correct, I believe.

Store pages rated at "M" are blocked for under-18s, as it's generally the threshold in many territories for such things. I can't answer why it is different for you, and why Steam have not attended to it; that's something you'll have to ask them.

However, I've never heard of Steam altering your capabilities to play a game based on what you're saying. It certainly seems you've got some Parental Access settings turned on, not within Steam.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
xDyniX

Bump.
Okay, I understand the store page error, but why can't I play my games on Steam? The error still remains with Bioshock and Prototype. I called 2K games 3 times, for Bioshock, but their support was random and unhelpful.
Possible Causes: Steam, Games, or Windows 7. How can I turn these Parental Control accesses off, because I'm an ADMIN, I shouldn't have it in the first place, and am the only user of my PC.
I just want to play these games that I bought with my money.
Please help me find a fix, I've searched all over the internet and spent the last 3 hours finding a solution, no cigar.

I've cleared my Steam Cookies, ran Steam in Admin.

Thanks

Last edited by xDyniX: 03-23-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
xDyniX

Bump.
I spent hard-earned cash for my games, i wish to play them.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
xDyniX

Bump.
Here are the errors that follow
Bioshock
http://i39.tinypic.com/2cf5wyv.png
Prototype
http://i42.tinypic.com/23wac8p.png

Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
real4xor

If you go to your windows control panel, you can set parental control settings under "user accounts and family safety" settings.

It seems under there, there`s a "game ratings" setting, might be worth looking at and seeing if it`s enabled.
(lol, =p first time I ever saw that thing there.)

Unless it`s something in the beta, I`m absolutely sure Steam doesn`t have any parental controls. So it`s most likely a setting in Windows ór a third party program.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
xDyniX

Quote:
Originally Posted by real4xor View Post
If you go to your windows control panel, you can set parental control settings under "user accounts and family safety" settings.

It seems under there, there`s a "game ratings" setting, might be worth looking at and seeing if it`s enabled.
(lol, =p first time I ever saw that thing there.)

Unless it`s something in the beta, I`m absolutely sure Steam doesn`t have any parental controls. So it`s most likely a setting in Windows ór a third party program.
I went there just now, however there is no option to disable or enable.
I also have another problem with 3 more games I bought today. Here's the link: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...4#post29924054
If i can't find a solution, I'm forced to reinstall windows.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips