Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
trthskr4

Will using WTFast get me banned?

I live in a rural area and bandwidth is limited...very limited, and my ping times are sometimes high. Will a service such as WTFast which is a think basically a proxy server get you VAC banned?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
PhamousVegas

seeing as WoW doesn't use VAC and this doesn't do anything to any other game, unless it has some trojan in it it seems pretty safe.

i doubt it would trigger vac at all, but it looks like a gimmick to me...
PhamousVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Ettanin

Using *any* VPN service will not get you VAC banned, but may suspend your account permanently because using a VPN with Steam is against the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Steam Subscriber Agreement
[...]

You are entitled to use the Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: [...] emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, without the prior written consent of Valve [...]

Last edited by Ettanin: 03-26-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Ettanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Jagged Tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettanin View Post
Using *any* VPN service will not get you VAC banned, but may suspend your account permanently because using a VPN with Steam is against the Steam Subscriber Agreement.
I think that is generally aimed towards activating/buying games in other regions. But technically it could cause your account to be suspended.
Jagged Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
NabsterHax

I don't see how any third-party software or equipment will help the problem of low bandwidth. If you physically can't get enough data down the wire, this WTFast thing won't help. The only thing I can think it might help with is if it somehow gives you faster routing, but again that probably won't help you.

I don't think it will get you VAC banned, though.
NabsterHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
dark lord

It might, at least if you use it for example to use discounts not avalaible normally in your country but that would disable your country totally not vac banned. Big difference.
dark lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Satoru

The thing is I don't see how this makes things 'faster'. WoW servers are basically plugged into the backbone of most providers. If you're having latency issues it's on YOUR end, not because WoW is on some ISDN link on the dark side of the moon. Your connection then becomes laggy to the proxy, which then translates to lag in general.

There's nothing you can do locally to 'fix' issues like lag, hops, ping, etc.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
The thing is I don't see how this makes things 'faster'. WoW servers are basically plugged into the backbone of most providers. If you're having latency issues it's on YOUR end, not because WoW is on some ISDN link on the dark side of the moon. Your connection then becomes laggy to the proxy, which then translates to lag in general.

There's nothing you can do locally to 'fix' issues like lag, hops, ping, etc.
My guess is that this service just re-routes traffic, via a fixed route, reducing the numbers of 'hops' of your network packets before they reach WoW servers.
Doing that will reduce your latency a bit, But i wouldn't be expecting miracles from it
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
masterchef341

It's just one more stop your packet has to make along the internet, plus a small amount of time to process at that node.

I wouldn't use a VPN service on top of an ISP if your goal is to improve performance. You -> ISP -> Internet -> Blizzard ISP vs You -> ISP -> Internet -> VPN's ISP -> VPN -> VPN's ISP -> Internet -> Blizzard's ISP

why would anyone think the second way is better?

Last edited by masterchef341: 04-05-2012 at 08:07 PM.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
stella artois

Why the is everyone referring to WoW?
stella artois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
NCPereira

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella artois View Post
Why the is everyone referring to WoW?
Maybe because WTFast is a tool made for WoW ?
NCPereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #12
twozcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPereira View Post
Maybe because WTFast is a tool made for WoW ?
no it isen't it supports hundreds of games

http://www.wtfast.com/pages/supported_games/

Last edited by twozcar: 04-06-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: link
twozcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #13
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
It's just one more stop your packet has to make along the internet, plus a small amount of time to process at that node.

I wouldn't use a VPN service on top of an ISP if your goal is to improve performance. You -> ISP -> Internet -> Blizzard ISP vs You -> ISP -> Internet -> VPN's ISP -> VPN -> VPN's ISP -> Internet -> Blizzard's ISP

why would anyone think the second way is better?
You(X Hops) -> ISP(Y Hops) -> Internet(Z hops) -> Blizzard
By using this tool you 'swap' the internet part for the 'WFTast' one.
You(X Hops) -> ISP(Y Hops) -> WTFast(1 hops) -> Blizzard
These services set up a direct route to the server(s) you need to log (Like a shortcut) reducing the time your packets 'wander' on the internet, asking for directions, until they hit blizzard

Many ISPs implement these kind of services for some kind of data transfer (Youtube Vids, Steam-like gaming services...) where they set up a shortcut for packets targeted at these services.

It helps a little, but final results depend on many factors (And OP having internet in a rural area won't seem it will improve much)
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
masterchef341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
You(X Hops) -> ISP(Y Hops) -> Internet(Z hops) -> Blizzard
By using this tool you 'swap' the internet part for the 'WFTast' one.
You(X Hops) -> ISP(Y Hops) -> WTFast(1 hops) -> Blizzard
These services set up a direct route to the server(s) you need to log (Like a shortcut) reducing the time your packets 'wander' on the internet, asking for directions, until they hit blizzard

Many ISPs implement these kind of services for some kind of data transfer (Youtube Vids, Steam-like gaming services...) where they set up a shortcut for packets targeted at these services.

It helps a little, but final results depend on many factors (And OP having internet in a rural area won't seem it will improve much)
does WTFast have a direct connection to blizzard OR your ISP? I'm doubtful of the former, but extremely doubtful of the latter.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
bha2597

Might not get vac ban but get your account suspended because you are using VPN.
bha2597 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion