Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
cityuk04

Surviving Public Versus

To enjoy public versus there are some things I have had to come to terms with. TL;DR - just read the headings

Everybody Rages

I might be having a good game with some "nice" people. They talk about how raging is lame and noobish - I agree, and even though we don't friend each other, we all say gg and generally behave well. A couple of weeks later I see the same people talking smack, throwing tantrums and raging. Even the most mild mannered people rage, although they would call it "imbalanced teams", "have to go afk" or maybe "stupid mod server." Come to terms with this and the annoyance of others raging and the guilt of doing it yourself goes away. Unless Valve changes the game this will always be the case.

A Team of Friends Is A Pubstomp

It's not just that they know each other and communicate well it's about how people behave around their friends. I have almost never met a group of friends that was willing to lose a public game. They will blame everyone make excuses and eventually rage. People by themselves are under less pressure to impress and perform well. People that join a server of randoms with 3 friends on the same team are looking for an easy win. If they wanted a challenge they could go on opposing teams or make it a friends only game.

Being Good Won't Save You From Bad Teammates

This is particularly true if you have to babysit them and cover the rear. Often you will save the guy at the back only to have him run off and leave you to die. Being at the back is a death sentence with a bad team. Some good players fall to the darkside that is rushing. Being at the front is safe because people will eventually catch up and save you in most cases. Not to mention it's hard for SI to keep up with a rusher and make a good attack. Make no mistake about it though, the guy rushing at the front is the biggest threat to the other 3 survivors (SI not included). It's a selfish strategy that will usually result in a lower team score.

Anyone Can Be Vote-Kicked

I don't care how good you are or how nicely you treat others, you will get kicked from time to time. Don't take it too personally. Sometimes you will offend someone, take someone's spot or play badly in a close game.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
RedHyuuga

Everybody can have a bad day/moment, though it is a bit immature to let it out on others when you yourself is the cause.

Rushers sure are egoistical, makes me wonder what they're trying to prove?
RedHyuuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
POLICEMATRIX

Recently ive started playing with a more relaxed approach ,obviously i want to win but im not giving myself grey hair with the stress , if good players come then ok ill step up but if they are lame then i just relax and try and get some good points .
Call it practice if you will
POLICEMATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
RedHyuuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICEMATRIX View Post
Recently ive started playing with a more relaxed approach ,obviously i want to win but im not giving myself grey hair with the stress , if good players come then ok ill step up but if they are lame then i just relax and try and get some good points .
Call it practice if you will
Practise makes perfect after all
RedHyuuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
bassistist

Great thoughts on pubstomping. So annoying how people deny it or claim ignorance.

The only plus to pubstomping is the unalloyed pleasure of reversing.
bassistist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
klackhead

Is it still considered a pubstomp if the group of friends have less than 40 hours? You guys make it seem like a crime to play with friends. Can't friends just enjoy playing a game together? Games are best when played with friends right?
klackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Stagger Lee

I think parts 2 and 3 are more related than you realize. I like to play with friends, not because I want a "easy win" or a pubstomp, but I just don't want the truly bad teammates.
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
bassistist

It's a grey area. Klack. Friends with less than 100 hours, I don't personally have a problem. Friends with 1000+ hours? Different story.

I have a ton of hours, but I hate playing with friends unless it's a four on four. Four long time players vs. four noobs (well, it really only takes ONE noob to screw a team) is not fun, not challenging.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
prophecy holder

Banned
I think it was either source maps or Prodigy who said it best, just because you don't intend on pubstomping or even thinking about it you are still stomping on random pubs when you get into a group with friends in versus. There is no gray area, no beating around the bush, no sugar coating it etc etc. Its just like the people who think quitting a game is harmless yet they do not realize that the game they quit from most likely crumbles even if they had a legit excuse to quit.
prophecy holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Genoa

Quote:
People by themselves are under less pressure to impress and perform well
So a group of complete strangers is less likely to kick you than your "friends" ?
Genoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
cityuk04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
So a group of complete strangers is less likely to kick you than your "friends" ?
Do you care more if your friends think you're good or a group of strangers?

With pubstomping: I personally don't mind if the teams are even but then it isn't a "stomp" is it? The word has come to mean a game where one team has almost no chance. Engineering a situation like that in a public game is unsporting and I advise people to avoid them to 1) keep their own sanity, and 2) not throw gas on the fire. If you ignore them they will go away (or at least I wish they would!)
cityuk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Jay_la_haine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityuk04 View Post

A Team of Friends Is A Pubstomp
This. Until the enemy team rages after one run. 99% of the time, you can't even complete one effing run because they all ragequit.
Jay_la_haine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
CosmicD

also a protip: Ignore all e-peen chat from the other team, or you'll end up babysitting them in chat and dedicating team resources to nonsense :P

Well I'm not really a good example because Well our team today did both babysitting worse teammates AND re-educating the enemy team in the difference between pub and roto :P And we still won.
CosmicD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
bassistist

Or, if they're going to trash talk, only reply back when you are playing infected. Can't tell how many wipes I've triggered while some doof was replying to me replying to his taunt... :-)
Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
Genoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityuk04 View Post
Do you care more if your friends think you're good or a group of strangers?

With pubstomping: I personally don't mind if the teams are even but then it isn't a "stomp" is it? The word has come to mean a game where one team has almost no chance. Engineering a situation like that in a public game is unsporting and I advise people to avoid them to 1) keep their own sanity, and 2) not throw gas on the fire. If you ignore them they will go away (or at least I wish they would!)
Don't really care if my friends think I am good at the time, they've seen me at my best and worst during the game.(And they don't seem to care as much)

I imagine playing well would delay the possible kick in a group of strangers .
Genoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2