Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series

Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
diwas13

Never played a Tactical military simulator. Should I get 1, 2 or OA?

So having played Battlefield and cod for the past 6 years, I need a change of pace. Saw a video of Arma 3 on youtube and it looked amazing. Thought I'd prepare myself by playing the older games, which one would you guys recommend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

edit* I did play Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising for about 1-2 hours couple years ago, I was still heavy into cod4 promod back then so I didn't really give the game a fair chance solely because it wasn't cod, but that was before and I am pretty burnt out on cod, so I will definitely dedicate myself to this game. And also can you change the fov in this game, thats a make or break for me.

Last edited by diwas13: 03-27-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Jedra

First thing first, Dragon Rising is nothing like Arma - Codemasters simply retained the rights to the Operation Flashpoint name when they split with Bohemia Interactive.

Don't worry about the FOV - this game is made for PC so the FOV is appropriate and as realistic as possible.

You should have a look at the free version Arma 2 Free - this will give you a good idea as to whether you will like the game or not. The full game is much better in terms of engine and graphics (plus the fact you can use mods), but the gameplay is the same. It is a totally different experience to BF or CoD - other than guns they don't really share any common ground at all.

Anyway, if you like the free version, you should buy Combined Operations, which is Arma 2 and the expansion Operation Arrowhead. Played together they are the best experience of Arma you can get. You may also wish to picj up the DLC packs BAF (British Armed Forces) and PMC (Private Military Company).

Start with Arma 2 Free and feel free to pop back and ask some questions. Arma is not a game you learn in five minutes!!
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
7th_Serf

Although Arma2 has aircraft and vehicles in it - it is primarily an infantry simulation, though with some mods it does a pretty bang up job of helicopter simulation - so expect to use more keys for movement and leaning than you are used to in CoD and BF - also the weapons ballistics are modelled, so this to will throw you off if you are used to those types of shooters.

I also recommend using the ACE mods - they increase the immersion by adding a load of features that should be a part of the game (weapon bipod deployment - medical supplies, backpacks with loadouts, back blasts from AT weapons, stamina, and loads of other stuff).

Like Jedra says though - DO NOT expect to become an 'expert' in Arma2 in a few minutes - some folks just don't understand that this is a lot more than just a run and gun game (though there are mods that make it more like that) but a simulator. Also the game isn't always easy to set up correctly - you might have problems installing mods and configuring it for best performance - most of the time it requires a little help so don't be afraid to ask around for some advice if you need it.

As to the DLC - I have never bothered with it - I have Arma2 and Arrowhead and play with a ton of mods and have never used the British weapons or the PMC's, so unless you want to use those troops and/or weapons - I wouldn't bother. You can still see and use the DLC content its just in low-resolution and kind of ugly. I would have preferred BIS to spend its efforts on more OPFOR and maps than friendly forces... but that's another topic!

Have fun!
7th_Serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Duttebayo

If you dont mind some bad controls and other stuff, its pretty great!
Even with a bad connection, its no problem to play against bots on a server!
Duttebayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
cotabucky

To be clear Dragon Rising is a complete pile of ***T in compariison to OFP ARMA series. A rip off in fact .ARMA2 OA or anything that gives you the complete package imo.ARMA2 is still the best reason I built my PC .
cotabucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
cotabucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedra View Post
First thing first, Dragon Rising is nothing like Arma - Codemasters simply retained the rights to the Operation Flashpoint name when they split with Bohemia Interactive.

Don't worry about the FOV - this game is made for PC so the FOV is appropriate and as realistic as possible.

You should have a look at the free version Arma 2 Free - this will give you a good idea as to whether you will like the game or not. The full game is much better in terms of engine and graphics (plus the fact you can use mods), but the gameplay is the same. It is a totally different experience to BF or CoD - other than guns they don't really share any common ground at all.

Anyway, if you like the free version, you should buy Combined Operations, which is Arma 2 and the expansion Operation Arrowhead. Played together they are the best experience of Arma you can get. You may also wish to picj up the DLC packs BAF (British Armed Forces) and PMC (Private Military Company).

Start with Arma 2 Free and feel free to pop back and ask some questions. Arma is not a game you learn in five minutes!!
+1

+1 to 7th_Serf as well.
Well said.

Last edited by cotabucky: 03-29-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
cotabucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duttebayo View Post
If you dont mind some bad controls and other stuff, its pretty great!
Even with a bad connection, its no problem to play against bots on a server!
Dissagree completely with the controls statement.ARMA2 has excellent controls.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
phantom_six

The controls of ARMA is fine, just a lot of controls to know. Mind boggling for a console player but hey, we're PC gamers, we uses our entire keyboards . There's a lot of controls to go around and that's fine. I do recommend a joystick or controller for flying and a controller for driving, but infantry go with mouse and keyboard.
phantom_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
7th_Serf

I use a Logitech G13 and mouse for infantry controls. The 13 allows me to set up macros and that really helps with ACE & ACRE as i don't have to think about what keys to hit to switch radios and such.

For game play I recommend turning off head bob and post processing as the are both annoying and headache inducing.

Also play with other folks rather than Ai's. It's just way more fun than single player.
7th_Serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
bud380

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotabucky View Post
To be clear Dragon Rising is a complete pile of ***T in compariison to OFP ARMA series. A rip off in fact .ARMA2 OA or anything that gives you the complete package imo.ARMA2 is still the best reason I built my PC .
Another mindless idiot running around the boards again? Jesus H Christ. Just because a game isn't a "Super-realistic military simulator" doesn't mean it's "", it just means you're stupid for thinking it is. And last time i checked, Dragon Rising had better ratings than ARMA Combat Operations if i'm not mistaken. But aside from proving you wrong, and how i could continue to do so for thousands of other reasons using facts and just plain intelligence, let me get to the question at hand.

First off, what drove you to like the ARMA 3 trailer? Was it how realistic it looked or the immersive factor? Because the ARMA series plays completely different from both COD and BF like the others mentioned. It utilizes many features such as leaning, multiple postures, ordering seperate units to move/engage/target/mount/form, managing your gear and equipment. If you're just coming from those series it's hard for me to recommend you any of the ARMA games because of how hardcore they are. I would start out with less simulation oriented tactical shooters such as Rainbow Six 3, SWAT 4, Red Orchestra (1 or 2), or even to try Dragon Rising again before jumping into something like ARMA. I assume it would overwhelm you or bore you, depending on how serious you take to learning the game and having patience.

Last edited by bud380: 04-30-2012 at 12:43 AM.
bud380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Jedra

The problem with Dragon Rising other than the fact it was very 'brown' was that it put you in an open world (and I have no doubt that the world was open and navigable) but then immediately closed it off into sections - you couldn't really approach an objective in any other way than how you were supposed to. It tried to be too many different things, a tactical shooter, a mainstream FPS, an open world simulator, but didn't really hit the mark with any of them.

I bought DR knowing it was not Arma but hoping for something a bit meatier that CoD, but with some tactical nounce. I played the campaign through a couple of times and by the end was not really impressed. I had a headache from too many 'Hooorahs' and my eyes were screaming for some primary colours. It wasn't a bad game, it just didn't know what it wanted to be.

Having said all this, I would advise the same as you bud380 if Arma is a little too daunting - the games you mention are all worthy of playing - RO2 is especially much better now it has benefitted from a number of patches. I would also recommend downloading and playing Arma 2:Free as many people I know have actually been surprised at how much less complicated it was than they expected.
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Overclocker_

Buy ARMA 2 + OA on steam (combined ops) and then the BAF and PMC addons for 10 bucks a pop, they're a blast, especially BAF.
Overclocker_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series