Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quake series

Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
AHadley

Methods of Destruction

After Quake first came out, a musician called Sasha Dikiciyan released an alternate soundtrack he called "Methods of Destruction". Precious few copies were printed, and these have now become extremely rare and sought-after items.

So good was the music on this album that, when John Romero heard it, he contacted Sasha and asked him to write the music for the next Quake game - he also ended up writing the music for its two expansions and collaborated with Bill Leeb of Front Line Assembly for Quake III.

Users across the internet have asked where they might find a digital copy of Methods of Destruction. I just so happen to have one; given to me by John Romero (who said he also has album art, but he didn't give me that since his scanner was broken - maybe someone could e-mail him?).

The few users who have received Methods of Destruction have been unwilling to share it). The way I figure it, the soundtrack to all the Quake games are widely available on the internet (even taking a quick look around these forums there are links to Q1, DoE, SoA, and Q164). I tweeted to Sasha about his older work and... he doesn't much care for it. John Romero said, in his e-mail to me, that he would send a copy to anybody who asked.

EDIT:
It was recently clarified to me that Sasha does *not* want his older work released to the public, so I have removed the link. Those of you who were quick enough, enjoy it. Everybody else... I'm afraid you'll have to find it another way.

I know Sasha uses Steam too, so if he ever happens across this thread... apologies, but please reconsider. This music is very good, and it fits Quake so well... it is a real shame to just let it stagnate.

Last edited by AHadley: 03-31-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
spyrochaete

This is hella cool. +rep and huge thanks for sharing the music and the story.

I love the Reznor soundtrack as well!
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
AHadley

Reznor is probably the best (and certainly the most famous) the game had. But the other three are largely ignored; Jeehun Hwang for DoE and SoA, Sasha Dikiciyan for this, and Aubrey Hodges for Q64. Hell, Ken Richmond has been completely forgotten.

Last edited by AHadley: 03-29-2012 at 03:15 PM.
AHadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
AHadley

Updated the origina post; Sasha has expressed a wish that his old works not be distributed. I do not like the decision, but it would be rude not to honour it; the download link above has been removed.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
spyrochaete

Glad I snagged this while it was up. It's an interesting lovechild of rock and techno. Very 90s.

It's a terrible shame the artist asked to have it taken down. Can we even buy this anywhere? Maybe Sasha could provide you a link where we can obtain his soundtrack and throw a few bucks his way, assuming he has the copyright.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
AHadley

The way I got it is the only way I know of.

EDIT: Apparently, he's reconsidering reconsidering.

Last edited by AHadley: 04-02-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
KevinSartori

I registered here to let anyone who might be interested know that Sascha Dikiciyan recently gave me permission to post Methods of Destruction on my blog, Psychotic Leisure Music. Big thanks go out to AHadley for getting a hold of the tracks and providing the impetus for me to contact Sascha! Finally we can all hear this rarity!
KevinSartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
AHadley

Well, now I've remembered my password...

That version is a significant improvement on the one I had uploaded (as the blog says, in fact), as it moves the track joins to the right places and adds the correct version of "B7 (Reprise)". It also includes the correct album art (yay!)

An interesting factoid, by the way; this album was used as the soundtrack to the Arcade Tournament Edition.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quake series