Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod

Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Dromadan

Problem with Garry's Mod 9

Hello, i want to play Garry's Mod 9 to experience how Garry's Mod was before, but i can't really play because the main menu it's bugged, Play multiplayer game doesn't open up anything, so i can't really play.
Is there any way to fix this? I have Half Life 2, HL2DM, and CSS purchased.
Yes, i purchased Garry's Mod 11.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Zekiran

Gmod 9 is completely unsupported and is so old as to be useless.

Gmod 10-12 is available for 10 bucks in the Steam store and as long as you have the installed, legal copies of the other Source games needed (HL2, episodes 1, 2, Portal, TF2, Counterstrike Source) you won't have problems with textures, models or maps. Anything else is available for download (such as play modes, other fan-made items, etc). HL2dm won't help you much, but you've got the basics there with CSS/HL2.

If you've already BOUGHT gmod 11, ... use it. 9 won't help you.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Dromadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
Gmod 9 is completely unsupported and is so old as to be useless.

Gmod 10-12 is available for 10 bucks in the Steam store and as long as you have the installed, legal copies of the other Source games needed (HL2, episodes 1, 2, Portal, TF2, Counterstrike Source) you won't have problems with textures, models or maps. Anything else is available for download (such as play modes, other fan-made items, etc). HL2dm won't help you much, but you've got the basics there with CSS/HL2.

If you've already BOUGHT gmod 11, ... use it. 9 won't help you.
Alright, thanks for the support!
Dromadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
illage2

GMOD9? Wait doesn't GMOD automatically update via Steam?
illage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Zekiran

Quote:
Originally Posted by illage2 View Post
GMOD9? Wait doesn't GMOD automatically update via Steam?
Gmod 9 is older by far than any of the paid format Gmod releases available through Steam.

Having the FREE version 9 does NOT ever in any way give anyone the PAID version 10+ available from the Steam store. It's not 'updated' because it's essentially a different game.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Nightscout

It's Obsolete

GMOD 9 just can't be supported after all the updates the games you need to run it (ex:CSS) have gone through.

Sorry, i've tried
Nightscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Patrick_b2007

Not sure what Gmod I have, bought it probably 3 months ago from steam. I own all Half-Lifes and trying to rotate objects in Gmod and everyone says press hold the "E" key while using the gravity gun "The blue one in Gmod" All I can do is stand in place while pressing the E key the move the object forward of backward. can't rotate.

I mainly use my Wired USB XBOX 360 controller, but also use the USB mouse. And still can't find a way to rotate a object. Just check now, I can move the oject around with the Ggun but if I press and hold the E key I can't move the object at all.

Last edited by Patrick_b2007: 04-07-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Patrick_b2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Zekiran

You should be able to use the mouse-look to change the angle of the object. I have been offline and unable to play gmod lately, so I can't recall exactly what I do, but if you are using some other kind of interface device, ditch it and go back to keyboard and mouse. The controller may be interrupting the program.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Patrick_b2007

Okay it was the 360 Controller. Thanks.. I'll just use the controller when I play a game and the mouse for editing. Since im on here. How do you create hills and such? Im working on a personal level, Or really just making my own Half-Life level and dont see how to create hills and water. Also Do I weld or just use freeze object? I've been using weld to keep things in place. Would freeze be better? Im still new to gmod.
Patrick_b2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
sporeguy

If you want to make maps, use the sdk hammer editor. Its a bit hard but its great learning for the game in even in real life , since its a true sdk meant for making maps and even your own games (mods, to be specific).

Freezing is faster, but if you accidently push R twice, everything will unfreeze. So its safer to weld, although it takes time and hitting a unfrozen welded object could cause it to spazz out. So the best choice is the freeze and weld
sporeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Garry's Mod