Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Ys Series

Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Alinon

Controller Support?

I've got a wireless 360 controller I'd like to use for this, but I noticed the game page doesn't show any support. I know this is a port, but I couldn't imagine using a keyboard for something like this. I know there's 3rd party software out there you can use like xpadder, but it never feels natural/native. (Ruins games like this for me)

I really want to buy this. XSEED please consider adding official controller support. Thanks.

Last edited by Alinon: 03-31-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
shmyazoo

I got a 360 controller just like you and I didn't have to download anything to make it work in the game.

In the Settings option of the game you can bind each action to your controller (and the gameplay feels very nice with one to the point I can't imagine having fun without one).
shmyazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Yep, this game fully supports all Windows-compatible gamepads. Enjoy!

(Also, FYI, this is not a port at all. This is the original, from 2005. The PSP version was the port!)

-Tom
Wyrdwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Alinon

Huh, I read some posts of people saying their controller randomly stops working. Have either of you experienced that before?

Also I highly recommend adding "controller support" to the Steam page for this game!

Honestly I rarely bother visiting forums like this to ask questions, if I don't see options for the controls I want right away then I just move on. So my point is there could be a lot of sales being missed out on just because the main page doesn't have controller support listed.

Lastly; since this isn't a port, why wasn't the resolution updated from 1024x768 so that the HUD etc doesn't looked stretched at higher resolutions?

Thanks for responding so quickly. =)

Last edited by Alinon: 03-31-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Alinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Quote:
Lastly; since this isn't a port, why wasn't the resolution updated from 1024x768 so that the HUD etc doesn't looked stretched at higher resolutions?
I think you just answered your own question. This isn't a port -- it was developed natively for 4:3 resolutions back in 2005. Falcom left PC game development in 2009, plus they're exceptionally busy making PSP and Vita games at the moment, so we were kind of left to our devices to adapt this game for Steam. We're typically a publisher only, not a developer, so we don't have much in the way of programming resources -- and since this isn't our own code, altering it to support 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions is a monumentally complicated task. Far more than we're willing to shunt onto our one and only dedicated programmer.

Regarding controllers not working after some time has passed, I've only seen one report of that happening so far, so I don't think it's something you need to worry about. Most likely, it was the result of some conflict in that particular user's setup.

And as for adding controller support to the product page, I was under the impression that that referred specifically to native xInput support, which this game does not have. Rather, it has generic USB gamepad support, readily adaptable for Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers but not native to either.

If I'm mistaken in that assumption, however, I will proceed to flog our marketing man vigorously as an act of retribution for this grave injustice.

-Tom
Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
Alinon

First of all, thanks for answering all my questions. Second, my controller works famously in the game and the slightly stretched graphics haven't really bothered me. I didn't realize this is simply a re-release of the same game through a new channel.

Was it worth it? Yes! Does the publisher kick for answering questions on the steam boards? Absolutely!

Last edited by Alinon: 04-01-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Alinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Glad you're enjoying it! Regarding the stretching, you can always pick a 4:3 resolution in the game's config utility, and as long as your video card settings don't specify otherwise, the game should appear vertically letterboxed when playing -- no stretching, just black columns on the left and right side of the screen. That's my preferred method when playing, personally.

-Tom
Old 04-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Joan-Michele

I don't mind the stretching. However, I'd like to know how I can move the movement to the directional arrows instead of the analog stick of my 360 and how I can map functions to the analog trigger.
Joan-Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Directional button support will be coming in our next patch -- all forms of directional input (analog sticks, arcade sticks, D-pads, etc.) should function for controlling Adol.

Not sure about mapping to the analog trigger, but I know it can be done with additional software. Anyone else have any further details?

-Tom
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
xdevnullx

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan-Michele View Post
I don't mind the stretching. However, I'd like to know how I can move the movement to the directional arrows instead of the analog stick of my 360 and how I can map functions to the analog trigger.
You can both bind functions to the d-pad and analog triggers using software called "xpadder", which is an essential bit of software for anyone using a game controller in windows. It lets you use your gamepad in games that don't even support it and is quite easy to setup.

You can obtain an older (and still fully functional) version of xpadder for free, or pay the tiny fee for the newest version, support & updates from the developer (who make life much easier for anyone who've struggled to get their games working right with a gamepad, so why not?)

Alternative options are the older free "joytokey" program which I dont think even supports xinput, and the excellently made and supported "Pinnacle Game Profiler", which is the most expensive one of the bunch, but also the nicest.
xdevnullx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #11
Joan-Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdevnullx View Post
You can obtain an older (and still fully functional) version of xpadder for free, or pay the tiny fee for the newest version, support & updates from the developer (who make life much easier for anyone who've struggled to get their games working right with a gamepad, so why not?)
79.99 USD is hardly a tiny fee.
Joan-Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
Moreira_x

79.99?!

it's only 9.99, go get your eyes checked.

Any chance of getting full voice acting like in the PSP port? JP and EN?
Moreira_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Rykerrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreira_x View Post
Any chance of getting full voice acting like in the PSP port? JP and EN?
Probably not. This version isn't a port, it's a direct translation from the original PC version that was released in Japan that was used as a source for the ports made for PSP. The original game didn't have any voice acting included; slapping some in would be a monumental undertaking, one that would probably require most or all of the original development team to work on.

I'm assuming, in fact, that the ports made for the PSP were ONLY ported with the assurance that certain things would be done to make the PSP version stand out (such as adding voice acting, for instance). Sony has a history of trying to make their versions of ports special in some way; if you recall, Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles incorporated a completely new pseudo-3D presentation for the core game as well as the original Rondo of Blood. When Ys: Ark of N-whatever was ported to the PS2, they did away with the original sprites and replaced them with 3D models; you had to put in a number of absurd "cheat codes" to unlock the original PC experience, and even then you could see why it was changed; what looked slick and refined on the PC monitor looked muddled and ugly on the TV.

On the other hand, we get to have the translation in the US on the big screen for $15. In my opinion, that's just fine. PC versions of Ys 6 and up were much better on the PC than their respective port systems.

Last edited by Rykerrk: 05-07-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Rykerrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Ys Series