Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Demoman

Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
raptor67

Banned
Splendid Screen melee crit is a glitch?

You know when you charge into someone with the splendid screen and instantly swing your melee after smashing into them?
Well, every single time you do this your melee will deal a critical hit, even though your melee is only supposed to crit at the end of a charge,

So it this a glitch or intended?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
DigitalBoy

I think it's a bug that wound up becoming a feature.

At any rate, it's been around since the Splendid Screen came out, and Valve hasn't showed any intention of fixing it.
DigitalBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
raptor67

Banned
Does Valve say anything about this at all?
raptor67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
VBence741

I think its not a bug, you know there's that "deals damage at any distance" thing...
VBence741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Vatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBence741 View Post
I think its not a bug, you know there's that "deals damage at any distance" thing...
Charge damage at any distance =/= crits at any distance
Vatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Chocolate Rain!

And I hate it SO MUCH

This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 5 seconds.
Chocolate Rain! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Mech_Chicken

Honestly, it's pretty overpowered if it's intended.

I switched from targe to screen on my demoknight and getting heads is now effortless. You just get in close and you can do an effortless charge+melee insta-kill.

With targe you have to do so much work to get a single head. The charge is unreliable, and demoknight frankly sucks as a class. With the screen it's completely effortless. You just have to make sure you have the charge ready.

Honestly, either screen needs to be nerfed or the targe needs to be buffed, the difference between the two is so great.
Mech_Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
FrozenFireBug

It's a bug, but it makes demoknight worthwhile.
If they remove it I will be jarateed.
FrozenFireBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Maffis91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech_Chicken View Post
Honestly, it's pretty overpowered if it's intended.

I switched from targe to screen on my demoknight and getting heads is now effortless. You just get in close and you can do an effortless charge+melee insta-kill.

With targe you have to do so much work to get a single head. The charge is unreliable, and demoknight frankly sucks as a class. With the screen it's completely effortless. You just have to make sure you have the charge ready.

Honestly, either screen needs to be nerfed or the targe needs to be buffed, the difference between the two is so great.
No, you simply have to face better opponents. Getting close as a Demoknight isn't just about running up to anyone and pressing m2+m1. If people had a clue on how counter Demoknights you would be saying that the Screen is UP. EVERY CLASS CAN COUNTER A DEMOKNIGHT BY SIMPLY BEING A DECENT PLAYER. And no, the difference between the two is not that huge. The extra explosives resistance on the Targe is immensely helpful in spammy situations.

On topic: it was a bug that became a feature. Even the normal Targe gives you crits if you melee right after the bash; it even says this on the wiki.

Last edited by Maffis91: 04-02-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Maffis91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
mariofan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffis91 View Post
No, you simply have to face better opponents. Getting close as a Demoknight isn't just about running up to anyone and pressing m2+m1. If people had a clue on how counter Demoknights you would be saying that the Screen is UP. EVERY CLASS CAN COUNTER A DEMOKNIGHT BY SIMPLY BEING A DECENT PLAYER. And no, the difference between the two is not that huge. The extra explosives resistance on the Targe is immensely helpful in spammy situations.

On topic: it was a bug that became a feature. Even the normal Targe gives you crits if you melee right after the bash; it even says this on the wiki.
What does Demoknight as a whole have to do with the balance of the Chargin' Targe and Splendid Screen? It's possible to have subclasses without blatantly OP weapons--it's called sidegrades, and it's what every weapon in the game is supposed to be.

If you have to release OP or straight upgrade weapons to make a subclass viable, then the problem is with the concept of the subclass, not the stock weapons.

Edit: Also, Valve doesn't run the wiki.

That is all.
mariofan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Craylash

It just comes down to your preference if you want a demo who knows what he's doing with a splendid screen and instaslashes you up close, or a stickyslinging terrorist who pretty much treats the 8 stickies like rockets then switches over to his grenaderockets to finish.

I've played both and people hate the latter more. Splendid Screen is just one of those tools a demoman needs to survive CLOSE encounters. Keep your distance and always let a teammate lead. (He gets his head chopped off first)
Craylash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
paralars

I'm almost sure those are just minicrits, cause those are still highlighted red in the kill feed and I never managed to kill a fully healed soldier with that.

Well, a SS bash + melee minicrit kills most classes, so it may look like a crit.
paralars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Rynjin

Who had the bright idea to ban raptor?

I liked raptor.

He didn't troll or anything, he was usually pretty courteous, and he had some good arguments a lot of the time.

What did he DO?
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
arendsturn

If it's not, I'd prefer it make it so that melee-charging only gives a minicrit. you could even up the defensive stats a wee bit to compensate. I really hate being in Melee and suddenly get instacrit'd when he only had to rightclick to get his crit...
arendsturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #15

Demoknight is SUPPOSED to be the King Melee class. But it isn't. Pyro is, with it's stupidly overpowered axtingreaser. If they were to nerf this feature( the crit bash),they'd have to down the charge interval to balance pyro and demoknight, because 12 seconds recharge is a long time.
35904370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Demoman