Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3

Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Enzgar

Windows 8 Crashing

I have the Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64 bit OS on my machine right now, and I'm having problems getting the Fallout 3 GOTY Edition to work. Does anybody have any information on how I can get this fixed or anything? I would appreciate some help!
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Jordan94jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzgar View Post
I have the Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64 bit OS on my machine right now
There's your problem. It's not the final version. Fallout 3 doesn't run well anyway, so an unfinished operating system is not going to help. I do believe Fallout was released during Vista's life cycle so that's two OS's ahead.

If you want help, you need to specify what's not working. Is the game crashing? Is it not loading? Are the textures funny? Won't it install? Can't you load it? Are your game saves missing?

But a few things to try:
  • Are you running it in compatability mode?
  • Have you installed the latest patch?
  • Have you verfified game cache?
  • Do you meet the minimum system requirements?
  • Does your monitor have a strange resolution that you may need to change manually in the config?

The main problem is, is that you're running on an operating system that is supposed to be a preview. Not a 'next upgrade'; and such, there is not that much support for it at the moment.
Jordan94jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Enzgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan94jb View Post
There's your problem. It's not the final version. Fallout 3 doesn't run well anyway, so an unfinished operating system is not going to help. I do believe Fallout was released during Vista's life cycle so that's two OS's ahead.

If you want help, you need to specify what's not working. Is the game crashing? Is it not loading? Are the textures funny? Won't it install? Can't you load it? Are your game saves missing?

But a few things to try:
  • Are you running it in compatability mode?
  • Have you installed the latest patch?
  • Have you verfified game cache?
  • Do you meet the minimum system requirements?
  • Does your monitor have a strange resolution that you may need to change manually in the config?

The main problem is, is that you're running on an operating system that is supposed to be a preview. Not a 'next upgrade'; and such, there is not that much support for it at the moment.
I launch it from Steam and the splash page or whatever opens up fine, and when I try to run it, nothing happens. I click play and it just closes out and nothing happens.

How do I start it in compatibility mode?
I think it's the latest patch, I'm loading it through steam.
How do I verify the game cache?
Yes, I do.
I guess I do run it at 1440x900, I could try running it at the standard resolution to see if that works.
Enzgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Jordan94jb

Quote:
I launch it from Steam and the splash page or whatever opens up fine, and when I try to run it, nothing happens. I click play and it just closes out and nothing happens.

How do I start it in compatibility mode?
I think it's the latest patch, I'm loading it through steam.
How do I verify the game cache?
Yes, I do.
I guess I do run it at 1440x900, I could try running it at the standard resolution to see if that works.
Go to the install location, right click on FalloutLauncher, Properties, Compatability and then try setting it to 7 or Vista. You may find that just running it as administrator may work.

It should be the latest patch then.

Right click the game in Steam, click properties, navigate to Local Files and the options are there.

Yeah, try running it at different resolutions. That can quite often be a problem.

If none of this works, could you post your system specs please.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Enzgar

How can I easily do this? Sorry, I'm not super good at this kind of stuff.

Edit: I tried running it at a 1024x768 with it in Compatability mode, and none of them worked. This is getting frustrating.

Edit2: The error that comes up says "Fallout3.exe - Ordinal Not Found The ordinal 42 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\xlive.dll."

Last edited by Enzgar: 04-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
Jordan94jb

Quote:
Edit2: The error that comes up says "Fallout3.exe - Ordinal Not Found The ordinal 42 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\xlive.dll."
THANK YOU! You have no idea how helpful that is! You either need to install GFWL and set it up, or this program to remove Fallout 3's dependency on it.

Hopefully this should get you on your way.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Enzgar

How exactly do I work this? I would use the Nexus Mod Manager or whatever, but the site that I need to download that from is blocked on my campus Internet.

Edit: It's saying something about how it can't find the Fallout.INI.

Last edited by Enzgar: 04-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Jordan94jb

Quote:
How exactly do I work this? I would use the Nexus Mod Manager or whatever, but the site that I need to download that from is blocked on my campus Internet.

Edit: It's saying something about how it can't find the Fallout.INI.
It may be because that software requires a non-Steam copy. Try downloading GFWL. This may be it, but it has changed since the release of Fallout 3.

Although, thinking about it. Your Fallout.INI should be in your documents so it should be able to find that. Anyway, try installing GFWL.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Enzgar

Okay, installing now. I'll let you know how it does.

Yaaay! I think it's working! It crashes when I alt+tab, but that's no big deal! Atleast it works Thanks a TON for the help! Is there any way I can +rep you or something? Haha

Last edited by Enzgar: 04-04-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Jordan94jb

Quote:
Okay, installing now. I'll let you know how it does.
I just tried it and it ran fine. Try running it as an administrator.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Jordan94jb

Quote:
Yaaay! I think it's working! It crashes when I alt+tab, but that's no big deal! Atleast it works Thanks a TON for the help! Is there any way I can +rep you or something? Haha
Awesome, yeah Gamebryo games do that. It's just something you learn not to do, or save before you do - F5 will very shortly become your best friend; and when you load up an old save, your worst enemy.

And yeah, it's the scales under my name.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Enzgar

Uh it doesn't give me any option to do it D: Sorry man. I would if I could! You were a ton of help.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Jordan94jb

Quote:
Uh it doesn't give me any option to do it D: Sorry man. I would if I could! You were a ton of help.
It's fine, glad to be able to help! Enjoy the game!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
mike1988

I have a different problem on Windows 8, but it may be one that happens to the game on any OS... I never had a problem booting or playing the game, it even runs at a pretty smooth 50-60FPS most of the time. But after an hour or so, it just locks up. Usually when something requiring a death or explosion animation happens. If anyone knows about this and knows how to fix it, it would be appreciated. If not, I can still play the game, but it'll just be annoying to restart it so often.
mike1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
icy1007

Just go back to Win 7 until Win 8 is actually released. That will fix pretty much all of your issues.
icy1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3