Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation

Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
exchequer

How to counter artillery

I am having some trouble online to counter the NATO artillery. The missile strikes are insane and easily kill 50% of 4-8 T 62's and a few T80s in addition to the ANTI air.

Once your units get hit they "root" by the time you can order them around the next strike hits and you lose even more units.

Any tips :S?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
fiendish78

for me its a good tactic to put a recon chopper near their base (away from their aa of course) then pound them with howitzers like malka. recon should give you a fair precise shot and mlrs wont survive the incoming heavy arty
fiendish78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Shadow7988

The biggest counter is to keep your units moving and to avoid turtling. It really depends on the situation, map, and were they placed their artillery. One of the best signs of inexperienced players is if they keep their artillery in the starting territory parked next to their FOB's. If you manage to recon this out, then it's only a matter of time before you get lucky with counter battery, Special forces, or a Havok/Apache.

Air defenses are surprisingly easy to get past once you know how. Try shelling them in advance before your helicopters arrive to fight them, as even if it isn't truly damaging the AA, they will likely be stunned by the blast and incapable of fighting back. Once you get rid of the AA, you're pretty much at liberty to use harassment units like MI-24's or VDV while your main forces can focus on the battlefield.

Chances are that if you can provide even a LITTLE harassment, you can quickly render their artillery ineffective and infrequent. The only answer to stuff like this is to keep your artillery relatively close to the rear of your front line so that it's easier to defend them and they become more accurate. Just be aware that you'll have to have better macro of logistics and be more mindful of your flanks.

Really, you'd be surprised what some well placed VDV and Spetsnaz can accomplish once you stun AA with corrected artillery shots at an enemy's main base. Give it a try.
Shadow7988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
exchequer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow7988 View Post
The biggest counter is to keep your units moving and to avoid turtling. It really depends on the situation, map, and were they placed their artillery. One of the best signs of inexperienced players is if they keep their artillery in the starting territory parked next to their FOB's. If you manage to recon this out, then it's only a matter of time before you get lucky with counter battery, Special forces, or a Havok/Apache.

Air defenses are surprisingly easy to get past once you know how. Try shelling them in advance before your helicopters arrive to fight them, as even if it isn't truly damaging the AA, they will likely be stunned by the blast and incapable of fighting back. Once you get rid of the AA, you're pretty much at liberty to use harassment units like MI-24's or VDV while your main forces can focus on the battlefield.

Chances are that if you can provide even a LITTLE harassment, you can quickly render their artillery ineffective and infrequent. The only answer to stuff like this is to keep your artillery relatively close to the rear of your front line so that it's easier to defend them and they become more accurate. Just be aware that you'll have to have better macro of logistics and be more mindful of your flanks.

Really, you'd be surprised what some well placed VDV and Spetsnaz can accomplish once you stun AA with corrected artillery shots at an enemy's main base. Give it a try.
I am guilty of turtling. My plan was to shoot his few tanks from range with my 10 accuracy missiles. However my air scout kept going down and I could not see his tanks in the forest he was camping with regular scouts.

Very frustrating... And the t62 I had were too weak for an agressive offensive (hardly any armor)

Lack of visibilty forced me to stay on my position. It was the hells highway map and indeed they were shelling from the startzone.

I havent used that much artillery myself since they seemed pretty useless because it says AP power 0 on all units.

What are good artillery units to unlock?
exchequer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Ace Quat

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchequer View Post
What are good artillery units to unlock?
nato: aml60 (mortar carrier), amx auf1 (cannon artillery), mrls (rocket artillery)

pact: dana (cannon artillery), smerch, buratino, uragan (all rocket artillery)
Ace Quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
exchequer

Is the MLRS worth it? I noticed that two MLRS units used over 1000 fuel per barrage. So to fire 10 shots you need to buy 1 FOB which costs 100.
exchequer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Lanky48

Quote:
Is the MLRS worth it? I noticed that two MLRS units used over 1000 fuel per barrage. So to fire 10 shots you need to buy 1 FOB which costs 100.
IMHO, the smerch is the only MLRS worth the money because of its accuracy. It does a decent job of wiping out the opponent under favorable conditions.
Lanky48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Ace Quat

Quote:
the nato mrls is decent, and the only rocket artillery nato has. of course pact's smerch and buratino (aka the armored 'close-combat' rocket artillery) is much better.

on the other hand, nato shines in the mortar carrier segment. the aml60 is precise, deals good damage, has acceptable range and is fast enough to conduct hit-n-run tactics even against heavier targets. that thing is faster than most ifvs and has a gun strong enough to damage mainbattle tanks. also there's a bug right now that makes it automatically track its targets (even if they're not visible any more), not very fair but certainly a big advantage.
Ace Quat is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation