Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Medic

Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
JPA32

A New Medigun

(Original idea is text paragraph, read the edits for changes)

(Name here, suggestions maybe?)
Alt-Fire <95%: Medic flips a switch on the Medigun, The ubercharge changes from vanilla uber to kritz, or vice versa
Alt-Fire 100%: Activate Uber
+Can Uber with both vanilla and kritz
+10% Charge Rate

-25% Shorter Uber

Ok, so this medigun popped into my head today, with this gun you can either give a regular uber, or a kritz to a player, and you have a 10% faster healing rate. Unfortunately the selected uber will activate as soon as you reach 100%.

Now, this adds versatility at the cost of convenience. It requires you to communicate with your uber target, and it may even make medics carry around the Crossbow or Amputator more often instead of the vanilla syringe and Ubersaw/Vita-saw like 90% of medics do now.

I decided to go with the extra heal rate because an on demand uber charge can easily be assaulted and you can't really panic uber the heal target if his health gets low, so giving him a bit longer time span to survive the uber seemed like the best solution. Plus a tiny bit of versatility for an on demand ubercharge seemed really UP compared to stock.

Suggestions and comments?

EDIT 1: The auto activate uber might have been a bad idea, so with some new changes, the core Vanilla or Kritz is kept and the auto-activation is scrapped for a shorter uber. With the lack of auto activation the heal rate is also scrapped for a faster charge rate.

Last edited by JPA32: 04-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Rologton

Honestly, I don't hate your idea, but my issue with it is that it would encourage Medics to heal until they are at 99%, than switch weapons and stop healing (ala Soda Popper) until they get into the right situation to use their Uber. Any Medigun that discourages healing at any point whatsoever doesn't sit right with me.
Rologton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
War Monkey782

The idea is novel, being able to build an uber and than switch to the type to best fit the situation. Uber for sentries and survival, kritz for crowd control.
Rologton puts it best though, medics would be discouraged to heal when they are near full, and the uber would be wasted most of the time.
You also need to think about how it would function with the ubersaw. Obtaining uber by defending yourself, only to have it start draining when you need to heal.

How about the uber type becomes 'locked' upon reaching around 90%, so you can't switch the type. M2 would just activate the uber. Of course, this would have to come with another downside. Perhaps the uber lasts 25% less time. You trade durability for versatility.
War Monkey782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
JPA32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rologton View Post
Honestly, I don't hate your idea, but my issue with it is that it would encourage Medics to heal until they are at 99%, than switch weapons and stop healing (ala Soda Popper) until they get into the right situation to use their Uber. Any Medigun that discourages healing at any point whatsoever doesn't sit right with me.
I suppose that's true, my original intention was that this medigun should be used with the crossbow when you needed to heal but that feels somewhat limiting thinking back on it.

Quote:
The idea is novel, being able to build an uber and than switch to the type to best fit the situation. Uber for sentries and survival, kritz for crowd control.
Rologton puts it best though, medics would be discouraged to heal when they are near full, and the uber would be wasted most of the time.
You also need to think about how it would function with the ubersaw. Obtaining uber by defending yourself, only to have it start draining when you need to heal.

How about the uber type becomes 'locked' upon reaching around 90%, so you can't switch the type. M2 would just activate the uber. Of course, this would have to come with another downside. Perhaps the uber lasts 25% less time. You trade durability for versatility.
2 second less uber seems like a large downside. I agree with the lock though, seems fair. Maybe up it to 95% so that you still have the versatility for the split second decision, but don't accidentally pop the uber when trying to change the type.

Also, without the auto activate, the faster heal rate is somewhat moot since you can activate it anytime. Maybe increase the charge rate (10%?) a bit which might offset the -25% uber length.
JPA32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
War Monkey782

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA32 View Post
I suppose that's true, my original intention was that this medigun should be used with the crossbow when you needed to heal but that feels somewhat limiting thinking back on it.

2 second less uber seems like a large downside. I agree with the lock though, seems fair. Maybe up it to 95% so that you still have the versatility for the split second decision, but don't accidentally pop the uber when trying to change the type.

Also, without the auto activate, the faster heal rate is somewhat moot since you can activate it anytime. Maybe increase the charge rate (10%?) a bit which might offset the -25% uber length.
It shouldn't have increased charge rate. Vanilla uber with increased charge rate could be very devastating, even with the less uber time.
Just let it have versatility and slightly faster healing.
War Monkey782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
bunivasal

I'm not crazy about the controls and the downside is sure to make everyone wish you'd just choose the kritz or the medigun and stick to it.
bunivasal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Medic