Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
indetek

STEAM SUCKS

Transfer a game to another account
Steam SUCKS!! I'm sorry I ever purchased games from them. Why you ask?

My son received a boxed copy of portal 2 for christmas last year. His computer wasn't powerful enough to run the game so I installed it on mine, with my steam account. I was not aware that the game could not be transferred later. Now my son has his new computer and I can't install unless I buy another copy. Only $20 but it's $20 for him to play the game he already owns. That's BS in my book.

I can't think of any other product or commodity that the owner cannot transfer ownership of. I understand that Steam/Valve has the right to protect against piracy but this is above and beyond that effort.

I am sure that I am not the only person to log this complaint and I'm sure I will hear from a bunch of people that will defend this ridiculous practice but as you continue dump money down Steam's funnel that you will never recoup.

I suppose my son and I could just share my Steam account since I seldom use it. Soon we'll tire of these games and then we can kiss Steam goodbye. Until then, I'll make sure to avoid purchasing anything that requires a Steam account.

If anyone has any ideas on how to pressure Steam to change their policy regarding transfers, I'd love to hear it. Maybe if they see enough complaints...
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
KRosen

..... all video games are like this(they are even doing it(trying to anyways) with console discs, believe it or not.) and it clearly states everywhere that you CANNOT TRANSFER GAMES BETWEEN ACCOUNTS.

why not just let your kid play on your account until it goes on sale again?

they are not gonna change this policy. why did you add it to your account? you should have added it to HIS account, after logging in on YOUR computer. you can do that you know. it was your mistake, not steams.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Justin7

So because you can't read, it's Steam fault? You want all games to be transferable? So 1 person buys 1 game and just transfers it to everybody else?

Good idea.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Ducon

So OP decided its a good idea to remake closed thread.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
GirlPower23

You could of made him an account when your first installed it. You could of done some reading to see it's not transferable. This is definitely not Valve or Steams fault.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
mule001

Banned
Last time I remember, I agreed to the TOS not to be able to transfer games.

So I bought my lil bro another copy of TF2 and CS 1.6 and I have no problems whatsoever.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
benetti32

Why make another thread? http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2621541

You won't change it, games are non-transferable and never will be.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Stardust260

Simply log into your son's account.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Speedy Thing

You could have made your son his own account an activated it there.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
raupi

You should really purchase a second copy of Portal 2 for your son and play the cooperative multiplayer, as suggested in your previous thread.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
TheRevanchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by indetek View Post
I can't think of any other product or commodity that the owner cannot transfer ownership of. I understand that Steam/Valve has the right to protect against piracy but this is above and beyond that effort.
How about pretty much everything digital.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Simian_

I don't think the OP really thought this out before posting his/her thread.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Satoru

Please stop feeding the troll.

Mods please close this thread.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
indetek

My original post above. I couldn't get back to it before it was closed so I'm starting up again.

As I suspected, a whole bunch of defending the practice.

One participant made the weak and completely unrelated comparison to email receivership.

zonkz -"When you send an email to your email account, would you expect that your son should get it?"

I would expect my son to "get it" if I forwarded it to him. Duh.

Other suggest that this has always been the way software licensing has worked. Should I assume then that when I decide to sell my old computer that the licensed copy of the OS is non-transferable? Maybe the computer itself is non-transferable.

I plan to sell the computer, the software, the disks, the CD-keys and all the documentation. I'm all of the manufacturers would love to be able to restrict me from re-selling these things and making sure that only new products may be sold so they make the money. Likewise, I'm sure the automobile industry could come up with some equivalent licensing.

Also consider that most games for the console world can be re-sold and rented. How is this different. The difference is that they have figured out a way to leverage their position and put more money in their pockets. All the consumers just bend over and take it because nothing is more important than PLAYING THE GAME.

Someone else made a comparison to iTunes not be transferable. That may be true but the content is "sharable". At least that would be something. Which also brings up the fact that when you purchase a cd album is that transferable. What? I can't give my old music CDs to anyone?

This whole non-transferable thing is a farce and is indefensible. Only excusable by all the users that keep forking over their money.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
indetek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
So because you can't read, it's Steam fault? You want all games to be transferable? So 1 person buys 1 game and just transfers it to everybody else?

Good idea.
If one person want to give up their copy of the game then Yes! One user, One copy, at a time.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion