Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
UndeadR

Bot overpowered or underpowered?

Some people argue that the bots are too stupid...i agree...some people argue that the bots can be a little overpowered when shooting you out of the sky mid pounce when you are a hunter...i agree... My opinion on bots: They have no balance. They are either overpowered in an area and then really under powered in another area. For example: Sometimes the bots have godlike accuracy. Lets say you are a hunter and you miss your pounce, you then try to escape by quickly jumping away. The bots have a skill to just headshot you right away and kill you.Also when they are down and have a pistol...its like they get a damage multiplier. I have downed cpu bots with a jockey and before i can even escape they will pistol me down to very low health or to death.(God forbid if they have the Deagle.) Now, underpowered...the best example i can come up with is that if you and someone else are playing with two bot companions and one of you gets grabbed by a special. Then your friend who is like on the other part of the map (not far from you) gets grabbed. The survivor bots sit there because they do not know what to do. It looks like this X(me)----(bots)0-0----X(friend) Happened to me many times and has cost me and my friend crucial points. This is just a small example...IM sure we ALL have stupid bot stories. Now, dont even get me started on Infected bots...they are just plain awful and stupid. Boomer will just stand there and look at you. So like I said do i think bots are over powered? in one aspect yes. Do i think they are underpowered? yes in most aspects. There is no balance. Valve needs to find a good balance with their bot cpu. BTW this is for xbox...idk if cpu is this way.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Ruiner82

Bots suck, play with people.
Ruiner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
TheCombatMedic

Bots are only good as decoys and sniping several yards away. Bots tend to just freeze if they are attacked at point blank range and they derp HARD when someone is caught by a special infected.
TheCombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Aelok

In short, survivor bots are too random to be declared as OP or UP. Overall, they're underpowered with moments of mind blowing overpoweredness just to ensure rage inducing wtf moments for both teams.
AI infected are overall UP, which is to be expected. Infected gameplay requires too much strategy, coordination, and exploiting terrain advantages that an AI just isn't going to be capable of. I'm glad they exist, they offer SOME sort of filler for the infected team while they wait for a player to join, but they aren't really intended to be a long term solution.
Aelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Mincegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelok View Post
In short, survivor bots are too random to be declared as OP or UP. Overall, they're underpowered with moments of mind blowing overpoweredness just to ensure rage inducing wtf moments for both teams.
AI infected are overall UP, which is to be expected. Infected gameplay requires too much strategy, coordination, and exploiting terrain advantages that an AI just isn't going to be capable of. I'm glad they exist, they offer SOME sort of filler for the infected team while they wait for a player to join, but they aren't really intended to be a long term solution.
Good points, I agree with everything you said.

In particular I think bots suffer the most on maps with multiple levels of terrain. For example, when you play Survival with the bots on The Rooftop, and you get attacked by a special infected either on top of or below a certain building, it takes the bots FOREVER to get to you. Maybe it's because there are so many different paths for them to take... and they aren't sure which way to get to you.

They aren't that bad all the time though. For example, last night I played Dead Center on Expert with the bots, and we finished in 46 minutes with only one restart. My biggest tip to anyone who plays with bots a lot (especially on Expert) is don't pick up pipe bombs. In L4D2, bots typically will stop shooting whenever a pipe bomb is thrown. While they are probably programmed this way to prevent pipe bombs from being a waste, they are always getting surrounded by infected when a pipe bomb is thrown and getting incapped. Molotovs and Bile Bombs are much easier to use with bots.
Mincegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Zombie.Crusher

Whenever my buddies aren't online I play advanced campaign with bots. We usually make it through map 2-3 without any problems, then random players join and the whole team wipes.

I prefer bots over randoms all the way.
Zombie.Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Xor42

There are times when I prefer bots over players in versus. They won't separate themselves from the group to shop, they won't leave you down and rush ahead, and they have decent aim if they aren't horded. On the other hand, they're absolutely terrible at dealing with common, they often have trouble clearing people, and they tend to die at one-way drops (in versus) because they won't drop with the group right away. All in all, bots are fine as long as you don't get capped.

Also, shooting hunters out of the sky isn't really that hard.
Xor42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Dr.Boo.j2

Bots are only good for knowing when you are on Realism when your teammates don't.
Other than that, they suck. Earlier this evening we got wiped because of bot stupidity during a Tank encounter.
Dr.Boo.j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Phaseshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelok View Post
I just wish infected bots attacked right away rather than stand there at least 3 seconds in plain sight waiting for survivors to shoot them.

And I swear boomers are programmed to spawn as far away as possible and be attracted to open spaces.

Jockeys are a bit the opposite though. Half the time I don't even hear them and it feels like they spawned on top of me.

Bot spitter is better than a lot of spitter players.

Bot charger is Da Baus. He'll come out of nowhere and punch you to death. Like the bot spitter, it's better than a lot of players, who will charge you when you have 4 hp instead of just punching you and charging someone else.

Bot hunter crouches way too long before attacking (Like the noise wasn't warning enough. C'mon Valve, survivors don't need THAT much help) though it does have that instant bunny hop to get out of harms's way.

Bot tank follows Valve's in-game help "rush in and attack" So, it fails.

Last edited by Phaseshifter: 04-07-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Phaseshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Nudge.Voelturi

My two complaints are that when an SI has you, they run up to you backwards with pistols out (tier 2 fully loaded) and go postal when I throw a pipe or bile.
Nudge.Voelturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Mincegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudge.Voelturi View Post
My two complaints are that when an SI has you, they run up to you backwards with pistols out (tier 2 fully loaded) and go postal when I throw a pipe or bile.
Haha yeah dude, I have been experiencing these exact same problems, and I wondered if it was just me . In my experience, Coach and Ellis bots seem to most commonly take out their double pistols. Perhaps this is because the Sniper and Shotgun take more time to reload, and they often take out their secondary instead of reloading. Likewise, Coach and Ellis bots also do not pick up magnums, which is why I usually play as one of them in single player.

And I wish I knew why they always walked backwards... they literally do that. I remember being pounced in an open area (I think it was the upper level of the crescendo on Dead Center 3) and they did not shoot the Hunter off me. It took them eight seconds to walk to me and melee if off. I am pretty sure they were walking backwards -_-.

As for the second part, yep, I mentioned that in my above post. They are programmed to (most of the time) stop shooting when a pipe bomb is thrown... but that honestly just leads to more problems.
Mincegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
UndeadR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xor42 View Post
There are times when I prefer bots over players in versus. They won't separate themselves from the group to shop, they won't leave you down and rush ahead, and they have decent aim if they aren't horded. On the other hand, they're absolutely terrible at dealing with common, they often have trouble clearing people, and they tend to die at one-way drops (in versus) because they won't drop with the group right away. All in all, bots are fine as long as you don't get capped.

Also, shooting hunters out of the sky isn't really that hard.
I know they aren't hard to shoot out I do it all the time with the sniper I'm just saying they do it when there back is turned sometimes. I mostly agree the bots are worthless
UndeadR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
hedberg

i just hate that in versus the enemy always attack them because they are a much easier target. So cheap. Yes, you can deatcharge a bot, you rock! Oh You smoked back Coach on Dark Carnival 3rd map, man, you are so pro! I'm not saying don't ever attack the bots, but if its 4 vs lessthan4 then on the obvious spots or during tank it is just cheap. "he was behind" Lol, even when the 3 survivor is not rushing, just moving normally, the bot will get behind somehow.
hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Ruiner82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedberg View Post
i just hate that in versus the enemy always attack them because they are a much easier target. So cheap. Yes, you can deatcharge a bot, you rock! Oh You smoked back Coach on Dark Carnival 3rd map, man, you are so pro! I'm not saying don't ever attack the bots, but if its 4 vs lessthan4 then on the obvious spots or during tank it is just cheap. "he was behind" Lol, even when the 3 survivor is not rushing, just moving normally, the bot will get behind somehow.
It's not cheap, it's a valid tactic.
Ruiner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
VerifyedRasta

I just don't get why survivor bots' priority is coded so bad for when teammates have been pinned. What I mean is they can never decide who to save first. You'd think they would simply go after the closest teammate. Usually you can get pounced right next to a bot and then another person gets pulled across the map and the bot will decide to go after the other person.
VerifyedRasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2