Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight

Old 04-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Fabe_ca

Trimming tips

Any got some tips for trimming a plane? I've just been tapping the up/down trim buttons until I think I'm level but with my altimeter always going up or down I'm never sure if I'm bounced out.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
bastila13091

This game is kinda fickle on the trim. It's pretty hard to be completely level in it without using a stick. The only way that I seem to make it work roughly is by just getting it rather close. You can see the actual degrees of trim by mousing over the trim in the cockpit.
bastila13091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Fabe_ca

Tell me about it, I'm having lots of trouble on the landing mission with the A5,once I throttle back and drop the landing gear I go into a damn near nose dive and can't pull up very much or the stall warning goes off. I'm so busy trying not to crash and work the trim at the same time I end up either crashing or coming in too low or high and fail the mission.
Fabe_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
bastila13091

The landing challenges? And dont worry about the trim. Put that in neutral and adjust your levelness yourself. And the Icon-5 stalls at about 50 knots per hour so you need to keep your speed above that. On most runways you can stay much higher speed to land.
bastila13091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Fabe_ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastila13091 View Post
The landing challenges? And dont worry about the trim. Put that in neutral and adjust your levelness yourself. And the Icon-5 stalls at about 50 knots per hour so you need to keep your speed above that. On most runways you can stay much higher speed to land.
It's actually the A5 Landing tutorial mission I'm having the trouble with,the one that introduces the PAPI lights. Malia says I should be able to land hands off with the trim adjusted properly but as I said I'm too busy keeping the nose up to adjust my trim and if I try to manage both I end up too low or too high for the approach and fail the mission.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Gibbage

I think the A5 Landing tutorial is bad. They tell you to flair WAY WAY too early. Follwing her instructions, you will stall before you land. The point is when landing to time the stall the moment your tires touch. Thats what a flair is. Try delaying your pull-up way past were she says to do so.
Gibbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Duesselwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe_ca View Post
Any got some tips for trimming a plane? I've just been tapping the up/down trim buttons until I think I'm level but with my altimeter always going up or down I'm never sure if I'm bounced out.
Hey!

Did you try to change the trim-value in the standard.xml? after update, it was changed from "32" to "100"... It worked better but in the Maule with a Saitek Yoke I had still 2-3° steps. Very nervous trimming...
I changed then to "200" and now it works in 1°-steps... result is a much smoother trim... Maybe a higher value brings steps lower than 1°, but I haven´t tested it yet.
Duesselwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Fabe_ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duesselwings View Post
Hey!

Did you try to change the trim-value in the standard.xml? after update, it was changed from "32" to "100"... It worked better but in the Maule with a Saitek Yoke I had still 2-3° steps. Very nervous trimming...
I changed then to "200" and now it works in 1°-steps... result is a much smoother trim... Maybe a higher value brings steps lower than 1°, but I haven´t tested it yet.
Rather not change any of the game files plus I'm pretty sure I'm getting 1 degree steps already.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
AzureWX

Another useful trick for level flight is to flip on mouse mode. It can work sort of like a basic heading & altitude hold autopilot. I wouldn't fly an approach with it though...
AzureWX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight