Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire

Old 04-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
AniDanny

Using a PS3 controller?

So, I'm using my PS3 controller + MotioninJoy to play this, as it's the only USB gamepad I have. I'm having a LOT of problems, and I don't know if that's because of how the game is set up or if I'm doing something wrong. If anyone has any ideas to fix any of the following, I'd appreciate it.

1) Driving. I'm used to GTA, where (unless I'm REALLY confused), driving has always been X to go, circle to stop, and square to e-brake? Now it's R2 to go, R1 to stop, and L2 to e-brake? Not a huge fan, but I could probably adapt eventually.

2) Aiming. The right joystick only moves the camera up and down, not side to side. This was annoying when I was in the first investigation area, but I could still turn with the left joystick and the camera would follow me. But then I got to the first gunfight and COULD NOT aim side to side, which was completely crippling. This seems more like a problem on the part of the controller or software, because I really doubt R* would have screwed up something that basic.

3) Button icons. I know some PC games have the option to change what icons appear based on control scheme, with the generic gamepad just having numbers 1-12, or trying to mimic the PS3 or 360 controller setups. It's annoying to try and figure out which button is spacebar, or right-mouse, or W, etc. Is there a feature for that somewhere that I'm missing?

4) Jumping. Is that a thing I'm missing the button for? Or can you just not jump in this game?

5) Driving music. I'm guessing in this game it's supposed to just be ambiance, instead of a radio, but I usually get annoyed at all of R*'s driving music and opt to turn it off - usually with the d-pad, I think? Is that not an option here?

I'll mention more problems as I run into them, but until I can at least address the "can't look side-to-side" issue, I can't really advance in the game using a gamepad.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
Bad_Motha

Banned
It uses xbox360 based controls, so that's why the appear to be all re-arranged. With the right emulator though u should be able to remap your buttons anyway you want. IMO, forget MotionJoy. Get x360ce (X-Input) emulator.

There is no radio like in GTA games or Mafia2. Radio is always on. To turn that down or off, go to main menu and turn music volume down. But that also lowers the ambient game music as well. Yes very annoying to me. No reason why they couldn't have a separate "Music" and "Radio" volumes. As well as multiple radio stations. Pure laziness is all.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
AniDanny

I set MIJ to emulate a 360 controller, and it works a lot better now. There are still a few issues, but I think that's because of the game design, though, not because of any software issues. Thanks for the suggestion (even if I implemented it in the laziest way possible).

Last edited by AniDanny: 04-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.
AniDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
Talindras

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniDanny View Post
I set MIJ to emulate a 360 controller, and it works a lot better now. There are still a few issues, but I think that's because of the game design, though, not because of any software issues. Thanks for the suggestion (even if I implemented it in the laziest way possible).
I keep mine set to XBox emulation in MIJ because so many games use it natively. I also bought a $5 usb Bluetooth adapter to use with MIJ, since I already had a PS3 controller sitting around. Wireless PS3 controller for the PC + native support rocks.
Talindras is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire