Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series

Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #61
Liamaj

Just Add Water
It's pretty true what you're saying, however Stranger's Wrath HD isn't simply an update or a patch for the original port. This is a full HDification (it's a word), hence why it has taken a while to come.
Liamaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #62
BozzCollin

I saw those replies coming. Like Liamaj said, the HD version isn't just an update to "fix" the broken mess that released a while ago. It's an entirely new version of the game. It's not just a patch, it's a re-release of the game. It's its own version.
BozzCollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #63
mintcake1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozzCollin View Post
I saw those replies coming. Like Liamaj said, the HD version isn't just an update to "fix" the broken mess that released a while ago. It's an entirely new version of the game. It's not just a patch, it's a re-release of the game. It's its own version.
But still over a year and a half is a fairly long time to wait to play a game you paid for isnt it?!
I think you need to remember that there is alot of people who have been holding off getting into the game since purchase due to waiting for the patch/update, and with so many rough dates changed you kind of get a little annoyed all the while the playstation branded consoles seem to be getting all the attention etc.
All people are asking is for something solid now as they have spent thier money on a product that for many people (ATI users) it is currently pretty much unplayable, and yes its not a massive amount of cash but still its money spent on the promise of something great to come.
But we have nothing not even HD screen shots for PC or video, the PS3 version had pictures and video quite early on didnt it!

I know you feel you are doing JAW a favour by telling people to be patient but that probably adds to others frustrations as you dont work for JAW.
Try to show a little more empathy for your fellow gamers too eh, I think someone posted on here about how they loaded up Steam everyday to see if Strangers suddenly started updating but every time was disapointed!!, That to me says it all.
mintcake1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #64
BozzCollin

I am one of the people holding off on playing until the HD version, I am one of the frustrated people, and I am one of the people that check every single day to see if my game is downloading on Steam. But I'm not going to rant and rave about it. It doesn't help speed up the process of developing the HD version in any way, shape or form.

The only date that I ever saw mentioned was that it would be done, roughly, 4 months after the PS3 release. I feel your guys' pain just as well as anyone else. I guess I'm just not the angry type. I understand that PC game development takes a lot of time, especially when you switch to DirectX during development.

I think people get even angrier when asked by JAW to have patience, honestly. I'm a fellow gamer and I'm doing just fine waiting anxiously for this game. I'm in the same shoes as all of you. Twiddling my fingers and counting down. I just know that raging isn't going to help a single thing
Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #65
gmagnus

Quote:
But I'm not going to rant and rave about it. It doesn't help speed up the process of developing the HD version in any way, shape or form.
You don't think customer complaints are going to motivate them to add a few people to the project or work on it a few more hours a day?
gmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #66
Liamaj

Just Add Water
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagnus View Post
You don't think customer complaints are going to motivate them to add a few people to the project or work on it a few more hours a day?
I think you're making the understandable assumption that we have more people to add to the project and aren't already working the majority of the day already. I've been getting into work over an hour early every morning and leaving an hour later each night. I know for a fact that Stewart has been coming in on the weekends. and the programmer who has the bulk of the work to do on the PC version stays behind every single night so long that he is always the last to leave.

Please don't think I'm saying this as a moan or complaint, we all love our jobs, and enjoy doing them. I simply want to make sure that we're not giving the impression that we're half-daying it.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #67
jedahsavior

I would like to add my thoughts to this; I know this will take time to get this remake or upgrade done. My issue is with the fact a release date should not have been posted anywhere until the project was closer to being done. I also understand your company will make more money off the PS3 version, So that's were most resources are. But what happens when that version ships and some new bugs pop up and they need fixed? Then we Will have to wait even longer as those get worked out, Am I wrong? Also you made comments about adding something for us since we have been waiting for as long as we had which is a nice thought, But isn't that over promising for a project that is already behind? why couldn't those of us that have already paid and be been promised this game get alpha and beta builds uploaded to steam to try out as time goes on? And watch and play as everything comes together? And before someone says piracy they could lose sales, everything on steam can be pirated and is pirated so I think that is a moot point. I aware an alpha or beta build will not work on everyone's set up. But at this point I think it would make a lot of people more patient.

Last edited by jedahsavior: 06-01-2012 at 11:09 AM.
jedahsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #68
Liderangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamaj View Post
I think you're making the understandable assumption that we have more people to add to the project and aren't already working the majority of the day already. I've been getting into work over an hour early every morning and leaving an hour later each night. I know for a fact that Stewart has been coming in on the weekends. and the programmer who has the bulk of the work to do on the PC version stays behind every single night so long that he is always the last to leave.

Please don't think I'm saying this as a moan or complaint, we all love our jobs, and enjoy doing them. I simply want to make sure that we're not giving the impression that we're half-daying it.

All this problems are because JAW released the HD version first on PS3, meanwhile the PC users are waiting since Dec 2010 for this HD version (And with Munch HD... well another year I think...).
Liderangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #69
BozzCollin

Like Liamaj said again, I was assuming that they are all working very hard on this and they truly are. Even harder than I thought, actually.

Just say by the end of the year JAW. I think the thing to be learned here is that you should always OVERESTIMATE your release dates, as game developers. That way people get surprised and full of happiness if the game actually releases early.

It does make a lot of sense. I'm surprised that developers haven't already started making this a trend...

Well, good luck on the development process JAW and Liamaj. I think I'm stirring too much commotion in here, so I'll stick to reading and looking out for new update.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #70
Liamaj

Just Add Water
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedahsavior View Post
...Also you made comments about adding something for us since we have been waiting for as long as we had which is a nice thought, But isn't that over promising for a project that is already behind?...
There comes a point at the end of a lot of projects where there is only one persons work left to do. At which point I will begin working the little added extra. I hasten to remind you guys and girls that it's nothing ground breaking, it's just something that I think some of you will appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedahsavior View Post
...why couldn't those of us that have already paid and be been promised this game get alpha and beta builds uploaded to steam to try out as time goes on? And watch and play as everything comes together?
Being that this is a single player, linear game, that approach wouldn't work too well, simply because by the time we're starting to wrap up beta, everyone will be bored of the game, and their lasting opinion of it would be that of the beta or alpha; borked.

Quote:
All this problems are because JAW released the HD version first on PS3, meanwhile the PC users are waiting since Dec 2010 for this HD version (And with Munch HD... well another year I think...).
The problem is that the PS3 and the PC version of the game's engine aren't directly compatible. It's not a case of checking the PC box and pushing go, although it probably should be. As well as that we've got the bugs from the PS3 version that we want fixed when we ship to steam.

The real mistake has been the dates that have been said, sometimes officially, sometimes as off the cuff remarks on twitter. I'm hesitant to ask for another date because I don't know if we will get it to you by then; I don't want to disappoint anyone any more with bad dates (my fiancée will attest to that).

As far as my work goes, I have three jobs left to do. Two of them won't take me too long. The third is the extra thing which may or may not happen, depending if I can get it done in time.

EDIT: Just checked and it turns out I already did those two jobs ages ago. on to the extra then...

Last edited by Liamaj: 06-02-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #71
BozzCollin

Quote:
EDIT: Just checked and it turns out I already did those two jobs ages ago. on to the extra then...
Haha, don't you love it when that happens? It's like finding a $50 bill in your pants pocket, that have been under your bed for months.

Last edited by BozzCollin: 06-02-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #72
Liamaj

Just Add Water
Quote:
Haha, don't you love it when that happens? It's like finding a $50 bill in your pants pocket, that have been under your bed for months.
Indeed, it's like a little present from past me
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #73
freibooter

Smile

Quote:
Indeed, it's like a little present from past me
Lucky you, past me is a lazy bastard that always tries to make my life miserable. Most of the time I just ignore the mess he created, though. Let future me deal with it, the stupid sucker.

Anyways, I understand your hesitance to give us another ETA after the ones given weren't exactly good estimates apparently. But I really don't know if "no ETA at all" is significantly better than a couple of overly optimistic ones.

Would you at least be able to tell us if it's a matter of days, weeks, months or if you're planning to sync your release with that of Half-Life 3 or Black Mesa?
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #74
Liamaj

Just Add Water
Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
Lucky you, past me is a lazy bastard that always tries to make my life miserable. Most of the time I just ignore the mess he created, though. Let future me deal with it, the stupid sucker.

Anyways, I understand your hesitance to give us another ETA after the ones given weren't exactly good estimates apparently. But I really don't know if "no ETA at all" is significantly better than a couple of overly optimistic ones.

Would you at least be able to tell us if it's a matter of days, weeks, months or if you're planning to sync your release with that of Half-Life 3 or Black Mesa?
Weeks if not days. The only reason I'm so vague is because my work is pretty much done. At the moment there is some PC tweaking happening with the coders, and some QA happening with the PS3 patch. I can ask Stew for an estimate, but I can't vouch for how accurate it may end up being.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #75
elessarjd

Quote:
Weeks if not days. The only reason I'm so vague is because my work is pretty much done. At the moment there is some PC tweaking happening with the coders, and some QA happening with the PS3 patch. I can ask Stew for an estimate, but I can't vouch for how accurate it may end up being.
Liama, please don't mistake the vocal group of impatient people you run into as the majority. There are plenty of patient people who appreciate what you're doing. You are under no legal obligation to release an HD update for the PC and yet you and your team are working hard to provide that to us. None of us know what you're daily work day is like, the business and programming obstacles, the interactions with team coordination and vendors, etc. So please, do what you gotta do and know that we're excited about the patch and are ready for it when you guys are.
elessarjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series