Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II

Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #46
Milkycookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaltys View Post
Good advice. I prioritize Strong trait myself though, since it makes the children healthier and less likely to die. Genius isn't that much use if all your heirs die young.

Speaking of the traits, I'd recommend getting rid of any courtiers who have negative family traits (such as Imbecile and Hunchback). I usually appoint them as bishops, since it ensures that they won't breed...

Those are from random events. Usually caused by stress in CK1, but I'm not sure how those work in CK2. I think it's mostly based on the traits, but I dunno which ones make it more likely for you to go crazy..
Yeah I make them bishops, it's funny when you treat the entire religious order like a garbage compacter for your unwanted gene pool.

I like the Strong trait too, and you are right about surviving the various diseases that strike every so often. But I really like my Geniuses
Milkycookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #47
tlforsyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkycookie View Post
Vicky on the other hand is a sadomasochistic grand strategy game for the uninitiated.
As a very happy Vicky player (with 'A House Divided'), I fully agree with and support the above statement.
tlforsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #48
Mr_Benn

I just bought it - I haven't a clue how to get started or what my objectives are :-)

I'm not new to Paradox games either. Played EUII and Victoria for years - I still play them.

I think the best thing to do is take it slowly, step by step. Sooner or later it will click.
Mr_Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #49
Capt_Smith77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyfox62 View Post
Listen to the fox .... Don't give up on this game man.

Sometimes the best things require that extra effort.

Here's a link to help you out .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzAXqOqV5k

You'll be glad you stuck with it if you do. It's great to play Skyrim etc, but it's also great to have something to play that requires planning, plotting and back stabbing !
+1

I was this close to uninstalling the game out of frustration.

These videos changed all of that.

I think the problem is that most newbies, including myself, started out with the WRONG faction or player to begin with, making the learning curve that more difficult and only adding to the frustration.
Capt_Smith77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #50
Milkycookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Smith77 View Post
+1

I was this close to uninstalling the game out of frustration.

These videos changed all of that.

I think the problem is that most newbies, including myself, started out with the WRONG faction or player to begin with, making the learning curve that more difficult and only adding to the frustration.
Its better to start with a small kingdom rather than the difficult nations like England, France or even the HRE. I always choose Scotland, nice small manageable kingdom, only problem is, its a real hassle to go on a crusade...so bloody far.
Milkycookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #51
Infogirl

I love this game. Here's all you need to know: http://youtu.be/j9PoUsRibtE

Now get out there and get 'er done.
Infogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #52
BGH122

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monster View Post
it's only requirement is basic reading comprehension
...But apparently not grammar.

It seems like it could be a fun game, and I might try to get into it, but just insulting other gamers by effectively calling them stupid isn't acceptable or helpful.
BGH122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #53
graspee

The insults and attacks in this thread remind me of a strategy game too.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #54
Loosifur

It's funny. There are so many parallels between these types of games and Linux. Especially in the forum hostility, the idea that complication is the same thing as complexity, and that any critique of the learning curve must come from a lack of intelligence on the part of the critic, rather than a design flaw in the game.

But, luckily, also in the fact that there are a lot of people who love the game, and are willing to spend time and effort to help new players.

I'm probably going to pick this up today for the sale, and I'm already planning out how much time I'm going to have to spend figuring out how to play the damn thing. I played Hearts of Iron III for a bit, mostly as Costa Rica and Ecuador for the low pressure. Never could get into Europa Universalis. Personally, the "spreadsheet wars" aspect of the games has always been a bit of a turn-off for me, but I always come back because they're genuinely good, fun games. It's just daunting to think of how much time you spend just figuring out how to play the game before you can get to the point where the challenge is coming from the game itself, and not from the learning curve.

I've played all of the Civs, all of the Total War games (not comparing them with this, btw) and probably damn near a thousand games across nearly all genres. Without reservation, I am willing to say that Paradox makes some of the best, most interesting, most detailed games with some of the absolute worst UI (and UX, to an extent) in software. Fittingly, considering the name.

I don't claim to know how to do it better, but it is telling that a calling card of their games is the lack of adequate tutorials and the unbelievably steep learning curve. If they would only give a little more priority to addressing those two aspects of their games, Paradox would dominate PC gaming.

And while I'm here, is Victoria worth picking up?
Loosifur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #55
MRLebanon

I think people need to realize that the main objective in this game is to lose. It's just a matter of how long it takes you to lose compared to last time

Even when you win, you get shown your score and it tells you how you could have done better by comparing you to real life dynasties.

Trial and error friends. My first play through as the Duke of Munster ended in near immediate demise

My second play through I made it 3 generations, then I had a female heir and a civil war and died.

Rinse and repeat.

my current play through I've established the kingdom of ireland, re-united whales under by crown, took a chunk or Portucal from the Moors, and I'm seeking legal claims for the throne of scotland.

It's probably one of the most rewarding games when you figure it out

NOTE: this is my first Paradox/grand strategy game
MRLebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #56
Mr_Twister_242

The typical discussion about difficulty. My opinion :

- The game is "relatively" hard, but a lot depends on your background : if you never played strategy games it can be very hard, if you played several paradox titles before you may find it rather easy in comparison.

- The tutorials are terrible, you will hardly know how to play the game after you completed the tutorials. Then again, this kind of game expects you to try and discover things for yourself, it's something fans of this genre even like about it.

- On the contrary, the in-game tool tips are excellent and really give you a lot of useful information.

- The game's interface has some terrible design decisions. For instance, to see opinions of a person with another, where neither is your liege or vassal, you should right-click the portrait, then right-click the leftmost icon and there is a button to see the opinions. And even then, you will get to a screen with very limited filters, so finding the other person can take quite awhile.

- Paradox regularly releases an update that drastically changes the core mechanics of the game. What was a great strategy before may suddenly become a very bad strategy. Then again, this forces you to continuously observe and learn, and prevents to much of a "gamey" playstyle from understanding too well how the numbers are calculated.

- There is a difference between difficulty to learn the game and difficulty to win (and dominate). The game is really not as much about winning and getting highscores as it is about having fun while getting immersed in a realistic world and to learn something from the experience.

Conclusion : The game takes some time and dedication to learn how to play, yet it is by no means insanely difficult. People with a mindset of winning and getting highscores however, should accept that this is a different kind of game and consider loosening up and just trying to enjoy the experience.
Mr_Twister_242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #57
#7_Clara

Anyone who thinks this game is more complex than starcraft has never played on a professional level with starcraft.
#7_Clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #58
Resonanse

Quote:
Originally Posted by #7_Clara View Post
Anyone who thinks this game is more complex than starcraft has never played on a professional level with starcraft.
They're completely different types of complexity.
Resonanse is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II