Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Ridge Racer Unbounded

Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
SUICIDAL

Knowingly Releasing a Broken Game!

I just wanted to use the track editor and be able to save a track and then play the track with a few friends. This is not asking alot considering this is what the game was advertised as. I've had this game since it's release and I have never been able to save a track design or race with a few friends. I've never seen a game release so many patches so fast and the game is still just a broken piece of garbage.

I understand that the developers are fully aware that there are bugs in the game and I know that they are doing all they can to fix the problems, and I appreciate all they have tried to do to fix the game, but at this point it's gone too far. In all honestly - I am completely amazed that this game released with so many problems. I would have rather waited longer for the release of a bug free game than to get my hands on the game early and then later find out that it is full of omg hellish nightmare frustrating bugs. I'm not just talking about small bugs either like connection problems. I'm referring to things like... my spending hours and hours designing the ultimate track and the tedious task of placing so many objects on the track and then setting the desired rotation and height of each object - then testing it over and over again - and then editing the track more and fixing objects that were not lined up well - then test driving the track more and more and more and still making more last minute changes - then finally reaching the point where I am completely happy with what I have created. I then race the track for real to achieve a good creator score so I can finally publish and save the track and later play it with some friends, but then something happens that throws me into total shock when I leave the track editor and find out that my track never saved at all and all the hours and hours of work I poured into the editor has simply disappeared. You've got to be friggin kidding me. I was so angry I wanted to smash something. I wanted to punch the Lead Tester of the game right in the face. Somebody at Bandai should be punished. I've calmed down since then, but I wanted to convey how I felt at that time, because I don't think the developers are aware of how serious the situation is that they have completely screwed over their customers so incredibly bad. I didn't just create 1 track either, I have created several tracks since each patch release and each time I found out that my track did not save at all and my frustration level grew higher and higher.

There is no way on earth that the developers can convince me or anybody that has paid money for this game - that the makers of Ridge Racer Unbounded were unaware of the bugs before they released the game to the public for sale. We were all scammed big time. I've seen alot of crooked game company bs before, but this game should be removed from the shelves until it's fixed. It is a definite fact that the company released this game with full knowledge of all the problems with their broken game and they figured they would simply patch and fix the game later. Well, look at the mess the company got themselves into now, considering they can't seem to fix their broken game. They damn well need to fix their broken game immediately. Fire the minimum wage idiots that are trying to fix the game and shell out some big bucks and hire some genius programmers that will actually know how to fix it, because if their crooked company were in my court right now, I would absolutely send the people responsible for releasing the broken game to prison. For one thing... the game is way over priced and it's not on sale anywhere. This game shouldn't have cost more than $29.99 US. If it cost $39.99 I would think the company is being extremely unreasonable, but at $49.99 the company is definitely on drugs, because you would have to be incredibly high to think that your game is worth that much - and I've seen the game being sold for even more than that.

I consider myself to be nice guy most the time and it usually takes alot to make me angry, so if I sound like one very angry customer, I can definitely promise you that I am. Even if they fix their broken game, it won't change the way I feel about their company. F*ck them, I hope they all go to prison. Knowingly releasing a game that doesn't work as advertised - they should be locked up. How many patches have been released in the past month? I seriously hope that they are never able to fix their incredibly overpriced broken game ever. I hold Steam responsible too.

Last edited by SUICIDAL: 04-11-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
fredizzimo

Your post makes me believe that you have pirated the game..,

Because if you actually had paid for it, Steam would have autoupdated it to version 1.05, which should bring your track back. There are several reports of the game doing that in this http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2636007 thread.

I'm very sorry if I'm wrong and you paid for the game and the update didn't do what it was suposed to do, but in that case, check that the update was actually applied, you can see the version in the launcher.

Also check the savegame location, the tracks should be there, there was never a bug with tracks not actually saving.

Fred from Bugbear
fredizzimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
SUICIDAL

Actually I have 2 legitimate copies of Ridge Racer Unbounded Limited Edition. 10 Steam keys in total. These are the actual steam activated titles of the keys for one of the game.

Key 1: Ridge Racer Unbounded Limited Edition
Key 2: Ridge Racer Unbounded RR1 - The Hearse (DLC1)
Key 3: Ridge Racer Unbounded RRT4 El Mariachi (DLC2)
Key 4: Ridge Racer Unbounded RR7 - The Gallows (DLC3)
Key 5: Ridge Racer Unbounded Limited Edition Bonus (DLC4 RU)

The 2nd copy of the game I bought for a friend and I haven't been able to give it to him yet since I have not seen him online in a while, so I might just give it away to somebody else. Anyway, I have reinstalled the game a couple of times in my own hopeful attempts of trying to get the game working correctly, so as far as getting my old tracks back, that just isn't going to happen anymore, especially since I did a full uninstall and reinstall of Steam too.

And Fred, I aint gunna lie to you, I did try the Skidrow patches many days ago in hope that maybe they would fix the broken game, because after doing a gazillion Google searches, I did find many comments at many different sites from users that said that their Skidrow version was working fine. This lead me to think that maybe the Skidrow cracked patches might have fixed the bugs that Bugbear Namco Bandai could not. Maybe if the legit copy of the game actually worked like it was supposed to, I wouldn't have had to stoop so low as to try (several) cracked patches. The last time I played the game I only played single player. I have given up on creating new tracks until I see a post that says that everything is definitely fixed. I have had problems with many Steam version games that I wound up uninstalling and then buying a non Steam version of the same game and all my problems went away. I hate Steam and always have. Anyway, I did post a request at Skidrow for a 1.05 patch to see if it would fix the problems that I am still having, but at this point I have already completed the entire single player game and I am kind of tired of the game and lost almost all interest in playing it at this point. I wonder how many other players feel the same.

I use Teamviewer all the time with many different friends when ever they have a problem with something and need help. For instance, my friends 6 hour install of Arma 2 Combined Operations and all of the ACE addons and other addon stuff that I sat up all night and installed for him while he was asleep. I've actually installed Arma 2 CO for 5 friends so far. Another friend just yesterday asked me to add code to his xfire_games.ini file so he would have a fully functional xfire in-game overly for a game that XFire has not yet offered support for. Fred, you are more than welcome to add me as a friend on Steam and I will send you my Teamviewer user ID and password and you can cannect to my pc and see for yourself that I have 2 legitimate CD Keys, and I can also show you the email receipt etc. You can see that my game is installed to Steam. Obviously all Skidrow version games do not install to the steam folder. My 2 copies of RRU cost me around $20. It took me forever to find the game cheap. I bought 2 copies of the CDKey only version. No way in hell was I about to pay the ridiculous Steam price. I spent a little over $40 total. I should be feeling like I got a great deal, right? Wrong, I still feel completely ripped off since the game doesn't work. And no, I wasn't happy with risking getting a virus by downloading a cracked patch in attempt to fix my game.

EDIT:

I just wanted to add that... If you are upset that I tried to apply a cracked patch to my legitimate game, all I have to say to that is... Bugbear Namco Bandai are the ones that are ripping customers off by selling people a game that doesn't work correctly at all. I'm not the one wearing a pirate hat, Bugbear Namco Bandai are. I wouldn't get mad at anybody that is using a pirated copy of RRU, in fact, Bugbear Namco Bandai would deserve it if the whole world were to install the pirated copy of RRU right now in retaliation to all the money that Bugbear Namco Bandai have already made from all of the fools gold they've sold. Maybe it would teach them a lesson not to rip people off ever again. After all, players shouldn't have to pay for a broken game. Or should they? Maybe it should say on the cover of the RRU box, "This game is broken but we might be able to fix it several months after release". I wonder how many sales they would make then. So yeah, even if they do fix the game finally, they are still thieves for selling a broken game from the start. Once the game is finally all patched up and fixed, Skidrow will most likely then release a matching cracked patch for the game that works online. In all honesty I would rather play a non steam version of the game since I don't like having to run some 3rd party resource hogging program like Steam in the background when it serves absolutely no purpose at all for me. I much prefer to use Xfire to chat with friends since it can do more and it uses 1/8 the resources that steam uses.

Last edited by SUICIDAL: 04-11-2012 at 06:58 PM.
SUICIDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
fredizzimo

I believe you and apologize.

It's very unfortunate that you lost your track, but the bug is fixed now, so no need to be afraid of that any more, and you can make a new, even better track.

I admit we were in a hurry to release the PC version, since Namco wanted all versions to be released at the same time. We are however fixing bugs all the time, so you need to be a little bit patient.

The actual save bug occurred only on the fully release version of the game, with fully compressed assets, that's why it wasn't caught by the QA, that were testing with a test version.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
v1806v

Суицидал - ты много говоришь - они этого не любят и им пофиг . они берегут нервы в отличии от тебя .
v1806v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
Gregs2k2

I'll say this now, with an honest, open mind.

This is another example of a company that's adopted the "ship now, patch later" attitude. As much as I love this game, it's ridiculously unstable. The luxury of DLC/auto-patching is making publishers/developers incredibly lazy in my opinion. This game would have been delayed back in the day, when Digital Distribution was unheard of and Internet was in its infancy. Yet instead, we get an almost unplayable title.

We don't expect the world, but we'd like a semi-functioning title that doesn't crash in the middle of a game (no pun intended), or editing a complex track (a friend of mine put over 2 hours into his track, only for it to crash the game and lose all his progress).

I appreciate that the PC is no longer the developer's primary platform for the simple reason of it not being as profitable as its console counterparts, I totally get that. But delivering a game as poorly optimised/buggy as this to your paying customers simply isn't right.

Like I said, this is my honest opinion and I really hope the biggest issues are cleared up in good time. I realise PC gamers are in the minority, but we're still loyal, paying customers.

Thanks.
Gregs2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
BS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredizzimo View Post
Steam would have autoupdated it to version 1.05, which should bring your track back.
It may bring the tracks before the patch back, however tracks made afterwards ARE STILL NOT SAVED unless published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs2k2 View Post
I'll say this now, with an honest, open mind.

This is another example of a company that's adopted the "ship now, patch later" attitude. As much as I love this game, it's ridiculously unstable. The luxury of DLC/auto-patching is making publishers/developers incredibly lazy in my opinion. This game would have been delayed back in the day, when Digital Distribution was unheard of and Internet was in its infancy. Yet instead, we get an almost unplayable title.
I agree with this so much, patches basically killed the quality of games.

However this is not the buggiest game I have played and there is still a little bit of hope for a working patch, whereas some games have remained permanently broken.

Last edited by BS24: 04-12-2012 at 06:24 AM.
BS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
fredizzimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS24 View Post
It may bring the tracks before the patch back, however tracks made afterwards ARE STILL NOT SAVED unless published.
Strange, you are the first one, I know of that have reported this after the 1.05 patch. I will check this immediately.

Edit:

I was not able to repeat the issue. Does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by fredizzimo: 04-12-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
SUICIDAL

To tell you the truth Fred, I played the hell out of the single player and completed everything and I was definitely happy with it, but Multiplayer I was completely unhappy with since I couldn't seem to play it at all. I think I paid like $22 and change for each of the 2 copies of the game I bought. I was only going to buy one copy, but at that price I figured I would get an extra copy for a friend. Anyway, I definitely got my $22 worth of fun out of just the single player racing. I got 3 stars on every race except some of the drift races I only got 2 stars on. And I still have not earned the "Chase Master" and "Get off of me!" awards, yet I've earned all of the other awards dozens of times. I still love playing the single player. I mostly love racing with the slow WOLFSEYE GT because it's a slow car and performs much like an old 70's style car chase movie. Using nitro with a slow car is much more of a noticeable power increase too. I love the fast cars too, but the slow cars offer more bumper car action - where it's not uncommon to see 6 or 7 cars all trying to take the same tight narrow turn together, lol.

The track side objects should give more nitro like in FlatOut 2, I sometimes drive down a very long sidewalk for about 10 seconds hitting about 50 street lamps, mailboxes, parked cars, signs and yet it only gives me like 3 little bars of nitro. I could get 3 bars of nitro just by fish-tailing my car in less than 2 seconds. In Flatout 2 I used to try to hit 1 of those very thin red poles and it would nearly fill my nitro meter all the way. There needs to be some road side objects that gives a little extra nitro. Like a big object should gives 2 little bars of nitro and a little lamp post or mailbox should give at least 1 bar of nitro. Otherwise what's the point to hitting and objects at all? And the nitro duration should last exactly 1 second longer, since many times I will explode my car against a target wall or a target vehicle, yet I can still hear nitro coming out of my car. This ruins 3 out of 4 races and I find myself hitting "Retry" like crazy and if the nitro lasted just 1 more second everything would be fine. Is it possible to change the nitro duration 1 second longer and make road side objects give slightly more nitro? Screw the console users, lol, just change it for the pc users.

I tried making a track today and it did save. Thank you for fixing that. I am able to connect to multiplayer, but I cannot seem to find any players. I spent over an hour trying to find somebody to race with. Finally I was able to race with just 1 guy. We raced 3 tracks and then he left and I tried for another hour and waited patiently for somebody to join the player list, but nobody joined. Am I doing something wrong or is the game still having connection problems? And why does the game play so laggy now? It's as if the game lags for a second, then it fine for a second, then it lags again, then it fine - in almost evenly timed lag spurts. This happens in single player too.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
SUICIDAL

Yeah, this game is pretty much unplayable for me right now. The last patch is giving me a tremendous amount of video lag. It actually seems to get worse each time I play the game. I was recording movies of game play with DXtory a few days ago and I was not having any video lag at all, but now I can't record anything. I can't even drive without losing control of the car. On one turn I had 2 fps, then I hit a wall and blew up.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Ridge Racer Unbounded