Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 04-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
SmellyLethality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriako View Post
I kind of feel like they're really using the GBLT minority for cheap press. I don't care much for gaming politics or whatever and don't especially have beef with EA, but that bugs me.
Who? EA or Forbes?

EA is being boycotted by people who don't want LGBT relationships in their games. I don't think EA is using these relationships for press, but giving all players an option of romances that interest them, which is the right thing, IMO. You don't have to pursue these relationships, and you can cut them off before they even get into an uncomfortable area, so it's not like a homophobe is forced into sitting through uncomfortable advances.
SmellyLethality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
Nova Prospekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microshocky View Post
It's clearly not neutral. And you have a history of doing this kind of thing, it's understandable i would call you out on it.

Other than this, do people think this constant barrage against EA is going to take them down? That people are going to stop buying games they want?
Although i do not like Ea at all, my point still stands.I post things as i come across them, if they're worth knowing.I can get why you think i go out of the way to post EA hate threads though.
Nova Prospekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
KnownUnknown

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microshocky View Post
You seem to be the poster of anti-EA threads, and a neutral person doesn't comment on the topic, merely posts it. Or the person would offer two sides to the story. You're very one sided in your post.
So wait, people neutral on the subject at hand aren't allowed to comment on it? Who made you the Overlord of the Steam Forums?
KnownUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
Draek

Holy triple-negatives, Batman. To clarify, for anyone else who had trouble understanding the story: EA put homosexual characters in their games, some people protested that, some other people protested that protest, which somebody backed up using poorly-coded bots. It now remains to be seen whether the obviousness of their bot-ness was an innocent mistake, or an intentional act to discredit the anti-protest protest.
Draek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
Eriako

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyLethality View Post
Who? EA or Forbes?

EA is being boycotted by people who don't want LGBT relationships in their games. I don't think EA is using these relationships for press, but giving all players an option of romances that interest them, which is the right thing, IMO. You don't have to pursue these relationships, and you can cut them off before they even get into an uncomfortable area, so it's not like a homophobe is forced into sitting through uncomfortable advances.
EA.

I'm seriously beyond happy that the developers are making the relationship choices available, especially since now I can play as a cute guy and hit on other cute guys. :P The fact that they were on the large nonchalant about putting them in was appealing as well, since to be honest it shouldn't be a big deal. It's natural.

It's just that I'm getting weird, not totally wholesome PR vibes about this anti-boycott petition. I'm not against the anti-boycott, per se, but I dunno. I'm pretty tired so I can't find the words for how to describe it, but a few other people have mentioned a similar feeling.

Granted, they should be proud for being inclusive, but it bothers me if they're just treating it as a selling point, I guess.
Eriako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #21
MrChris

protip

everyone

and I mean everyone business wise, uses spambots, automated post bots etc etc, for a whole variety of methods from SEO to simply badmouthing others

nothing new
MrChris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
IcarusNine

I don't get it.

The thread said that spam bots created 75,000 signatures. However, the article says that spambots created 5,000 to 6,000 signatures, and that there were 60,000 legitimate signatures. The math doesn't add up.
IcarusNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #23
Nova Prospekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusNine View Post
I don't get it.

The thread said that spam bots created 75,000 signatures. However, the article says that spambots created 5,000 to 6,000 signatures, and that there were 60,000 legitimate signatures. The math doesn't add up.
Poor wording on my part

By 75 k i meant that to get to their goal of 75k signatures, not 75 k signatures solely from the spambots.
Nova Prospekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
TZK203

Oh well, not needing to derail this.

Boo, EA, boo. Spambots for the lose.

Last edited by TZK203: 04-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.
TZK203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
Seph64

If it is true that EA did use spam bots for the petition, shame on them. But whoever is behind the bots, if it is bots, shame on thou.

Last edited by Seph64: 04-11-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Seph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
DudeNtheRoom

I like webs. They always seem to pop up when I'm at my most bored state.
DudeNtheRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #27
Mulux

If it was done by EA then I can see EA becoming like the Lady Gaga of the gaming industry, using publicity stunts to bring attention to their games. I hadn't heard about all of this at all (too busy playing good games) but am now strangely intrigued. Wether it was done by them or not, the outcome seems to be in their favour and people are talking.
Mulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #28
Goldenhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud042 View Post
Wait...is this a good thing or what? The wording of everything is just confusing me.

EA did this to help stop an anti-gay act or...?
I am confused too. Could someone clear this up?
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #29
Seph64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhog View Post
I am confused too. Could someone clear this up?
Ok, a bunch of "Family Value" Associations start an email protest against EA because EA will include LGBT friendly relationshop content in a future update/DLC for The Old Republic (nothing too obscene). They don't think it'a appropriate for EA to include such content, as they fear it will corrupt the minds of our youth (oh yay, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!).

Apparently, no one told them about teabagging in Halo. *rimshot*

EA is basically trying to ignore the protest, stating that it's just political harrassment.

I can't even bother to remember what the petition is anyway. But it's related.
Seph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
Backstab Baron

Here's what I understand of the situation:

Recently, EA was voted the worst company in America in an online poll. Not long before, a bunch of conservatives protested against the announcement that The Old Republic would have options for homosexual relationships. EA decided to reply to the poll results, but mainly talked about how they were not going to remove The Old Republic's gay option.

From what I can tell, EA is trying to make less savvy folks think that they won that poll and are widely hated mainly because of The Old Republic's gay option, rather than their more common business practices (Online Passes, Origin's no-class-action-suit clause, etc.).
Backstab Baron is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic