Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
YoungBawss14

Question What is needed for starting to do commentaries?

I've seen many commentaries and really want to do a few for myself. so i am wondering ...
What do i need to get in order for clear voice and smooth gaming performance? I also need to know what software is required in order to make such videos (Like sony vegas). My goal is to, like i said, create smooth gaming commentaries (little lag) and my voice to be clear. For the videos i would like to add some depth to them so i am considering sony vegas and photoshop. I already have my system figured out, i am planning to get an m14x in hopes for a good, smooth gaming performance that is mobile and somewhat small. The games i plan to commentate on include battlefield 3, cod 3, l4d2 and others. Here are the specs i am considering;
-i7 intel core processor (2.2 Ghz)
-6 gb of ram
-750 GB hard drive
-3gb nvidia geforce gt 555m

Will this do?
Next for the recording.
I need a microphone and a screen recorder, so what do you recommend? (Do headsets work too?) to record the voice i would probably use audacity. Fraps for screen recorder .... maybe??

The mouse i will probably go with a cheap razer mouse...

and lastly the software. this is what i need. (Add any if im missing something please.)
-video creator (Sony vegas)
-Photography, picture editing (Photoshop)
-record voice and game sounds (audacity)
-any others?

Thanks, youngbawss.

P.S. Since the computer is so expensive i am trying to have a low cost on the software, mouse and microphone (with the exception of sony vegas) so keep money in mind.

Last edited by YoungBawss14: 04-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
AraxisHT

It'll work for most stuff, but don't expect to record things on higher than medium graphics settings. I'd get an external hard drive to actually store video on (videos take up a lot of space).

A typical headset will work if you have absolutely no other option. Anyone except a hardcore COD Hammer Legion Member will notice the poor sound quality. What you want is a condenser microphone for commentary. I personally prefer a desktop microphone(I use a Blue Yeti but that's high end for this sort of thing), but if you tend to move your head around a lot while you play it would be a bad choice for you. There's a specific headset I'd recommend, but I can't remember what it is right now.

You will definitely want to use Fraps for screen capping. It is the best there is. If you're planning on uploading to Youtube, remember to record at 30 FPS because that is what Youtube videos playback at and anything higher will just increase the file size. Also remember that Fraps will ALWAYS give you a frame rate reduction when recording (as will any screen recorder).

Audacity is perfect for sound capture if you are comfortable with it.

The mouse you choose is entirely subjective and depends on what you're comfortable playing with.

Vegas and Photoshop are good programs, though I don't use Photoshop, I use GIMP and PAINT.Net (both free).

Some general tips:
Always have something worthwhile to say
Have a clear vision
Hold yourself to a quality standard
Don't be afraid to redo something a dozen times
Be entertaining, don't be flat.
Make sure you're having fun.

Last edited by AraxisHT: 04-12-2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Misread specs at 4:00 A.M.
AraxisHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
masterchef341

FRAPS is not even close to the best that there is. The reality of the situation is that these specs will barely be enough to play really intensive games like BF3 with high performance while recording the computer screen and audio.

This is a desktop job. You'll need some extra hardware. At a minimum, you need a fast external drive. Ideally, you may want some type of hardware solution for the actual recording as well. It simply requires a lot of processing power to pull the each rendered image from the gpu BACK to the cpu, and then encode it with almost no time available, basically instantly, in high quality with a reasonable file size.

MSI afterburner is free and has the best video capture software implementation around for games in my opinion, but it's not compatible with live streaming. Much better than fraps. You'll still want as much GPU power as possible. If you're going to go with a software solution, it will be even more important to get a desktop to put high end components within your budget.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
AraxisHT

In my 3:00 A.M. alertness, I completely misread the GPU. You should still be able to run most stuff, just on low settings (and probably not the newest stuff).

Masterchef is right, you'll want a desktop for this if at all possible. They're generally a bit cheaper and can be upgraded much more easily.

It's been a while since I was looking around at such things but last I checked Afterburner was less flexible than Fraps and didn't record sound (I like to record game sound with the video and commentary separately). I suppose it's really up to taste though.
AraxisHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
YoungBawss14

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
FRAPS is not even close to the best that there is. The reality of the situation is that these specs will barely be enough to play really intensive games like BF3 with high performance while recording the computer screen and audio.

This is a desktop job. You'll need some extra hardware. At a minimum, you need a fast external drive. Ideally, you may want some type of hardware solution for the actual recording as well. It simply requires a lot of processing power to pull the each rendered image from the gpu BACK to the cpu, and then encode it with almost no time available, basically instantly, in high quality with a reasonable file size.

MSI afterburner is free and has the best video capture software implementation around for games in my opinion, but it's not compatible with live streaming. Much better than fraps. You'll still want as much GPU power as possible. If you're going to go with a software solution, it will be even more important to get a desktop to put high end components within your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AraxisHT View Post
It'll work for most stuff, but don't expect to record things on higher than medium graphics settings. I'd get an external hard drive to actually store video on (videos take up a lot of space).

A typical headset will work if you have absolutely no other option. Anyone except a hardcore COD Hammer Legion Member will notice the poor sound quality. What you want is a condenser microphone for commentary. I personally prefer a desktop microphone(I use a Blue Yeti but that's high end for this sort of thing), but if you tend to move your head around a lot while you play it would be a bad choice for you. There's a specific headset I'd recommend, but I can't remember what it is right now.

You will definitely want to use Fraps for screen capping. It is the best there is. If you're planning on uploading to Youtube, remember to record at 30 FPS because that is what Youtube videos playback at and anything higher will just increase the file size. Also remember that Fraps will ALWAYS give you a frame rate reduction when recording (as will any screen recorder).

Audacity is perfect for sound capture if you are comfortable with it.

The mouse you choose is entirely subjective and depends on what you're comfortable playing with.

Vegas and Photoshop are good programs, though I don't use Photoshop, I use GIMP and PAINT.Net (both free).

Some general tips:
Always have something worthwhile to say
Have a clear vision
Hold yourself to a quality standard
Don't be afraid to redo something a dozen times
Be entertaining, don't be flat.
Make sure you're having fun.
Hey guys, I really appreciate your comments. They are so helpful. I will use these and see how to improve them to produce the best quality video i can.

And Araxis i really appreciate your tips, they seem very helpful and i think they will help me produce successful commentations! Thanks for your help!
YoungBawss14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
YoungBawss14

So you have convinced me to get a desktop... What would you recommend for this job (what brand and components?)
YoungBawss14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems