Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Astrophysx_12

Guess the Second DLC's "Unannounced Feature"

So Valve-time.net put up this great article giving us a bit more insight into the second DLC.

It mentions an unannounced feature of the second DLC, on top of the amazing level creator we have all been promised. So, to pass the time until we get our hands on it, I think its time to start guessing at what it could be...

My guess is that all levels will support speedrun timings, like the levels in the game atm. Thoughts?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
Chris_D

The unannounced feature could be the Puzzle Creator itself. We don't know how old that post is from Kyle Monroe and his post doesn't specifically mention the Puzzle Creator. [/pessimism]

On the other hand, looking at what he was responsible for, it looks like he implemented in-game features which fed into back end systems such as Steam Cloud and Steam Workshop.

As per the news post, the unannounced feature could be in-game interfaces to interact with the Puzzle Creator, download new puzzles, upload puzzles you've created and create "play lists" of puzzles to play with your friends.

It's rather speculative, but with the detail he goes into about Steam Cloud, Workshop and back end databases it's unlikely to be any gameplay mechanics such as speedrun timings and more likely to be something to do with in-game content which does tie in incredibly nicely with the Puzzle Creator.
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
Ganjatobi

Quote:
I played a part in some of the earliest internal uses of these new features which helped mold their use and accessibility by outside clients.
Share and play over consoles. Test and preview via Steam Mobile (on decent tablets) lol, i know..., just a thought.
Ganjatobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
fuegerstef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjatobi View Post
Share and play over consoles. Test and preview via Steam Mobile (on decent tablets) lol, i know..., just a thought.
It is possible on PS3. Even a more or less full SDK like Unreal Editor was able to "cook" maps that can be used in UT3. SO you could have added new meshes, models, animations, textures, scripting, etc ... as I understand it the Portal 2 editor will be more limited. So it is likely that playing the games on the PS3 is possible.

The closed structure of the 360 will probably prevent that.
fuegerstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Astrophysx_12

I have no idea why the cross platform aspect of created maps didn't come into my head. Do we know if the editor will be added to the console versions? If not, I imagine that people on console will be able to dl and play the maps created on PC.

This would explain the technical aspects of the original article. Sounds cool.
Astrophysx_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Clord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrophysx_12 View Post
I have no idea why the cross platform aspect of created maps didn't come into my head. Do we know if the editor will be added to the console versions? If not, I imagine that people on console will be able to dl and play the maps created on PC.

This would explain the technical aspects of the original article. Sounds cool.
Yeah they are gonna love the maps like. Press the button and have less than second to turn and shoot the portal to white surface.
Clord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Astrophysx_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clord View Post
Yeah they are gonna love the maps like. Press the button and have less than second to turn and shoot the portal to white surface.
Will be fun to watch the 2% of people who can actually manage that with a controller though.
Astrophysx_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
Me2nice

Lots of bugs. Calling it now.
Me2nice is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2